RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Original star dies - better?

Boolit Buddy

Original star dies - better?

Are the original Star dies made in San Diego better than the Magma ones? Just saw this one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/star-lube-si...-/112233059918
    Why the price?

Boolit Master
    Sometimes people on eBay get a little carried away. Curious that it is marked in 10/1000ths. The seller should be happy!

Boolit Grand Master

No, and I prefer dies from Lathsmith over the current factory offerings. Having the holes placed where you want them is better than filling them w/ shot.

Moderator Emeritus

it was a couple years ago, there were empty "Star" brand paper die boxes (no dies, just the box) for the price of a die.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

some people prefer style over substance.
    and no the old dies are not better than the new ones.
    if you call Chris or Magma and order a 311 die you get a 311 die.
    it's tapered properly and works like it should.
    I don't think your gonna do any better than that.

Boolit Master

Years ago when I dropped by Magma to pick up a .225" sizing die I got to watch while they honed it out for me. Funny thing was they pulled out the undersized die so they could hone it out and it was new old stock with the old markings. So I ended up with a "new" sizing die that was technically "old."

Neal in AZ

Boolit Mold
    I think I can help answer your question. That particular size(.3565) 38spl sizer was made in very limited quantities for use in a specific pistol. The pistol was a target only handgun made by S&W and called the Model 52. I was only capable of shooting flush seated wadcutters and the magazines held only 5 rounds. It was the choice of champions at the National Matches at Camp Perry for decades. It was built/designed on the S&W Mod 39/59 format which were 9mms, thus the .3565 sizing. S&W stopped making the 52 many years ago, much to the dissappointment of the bullseye match crowd. Undoubtedly, the bidders on that die were (rare) Mod 52 owners who were hoping to enhance that past legacy.

Boolit Grand Master

So it sounds like I need to list my .3565 die w/ original box for sale then

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    ...I prefer dies from Lathsmith over the current factory offerings. Having the holes placed where you want them is better than filling them w/ shot.
    Totally agree.
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post
    Totally agree.
    Lathesmith makes perfect dies, the first time. I had a lot of problems with the original dies from Star not being the correct size.

Banned
    People go nuts for the original "Blue" bullet sizer the "STAR". I own both and there is no difference in their operation yet people will pay more than current price to get one. I buy only "Lathesmith" dies and have him custom make them to what I need. Will I ever purchase a stock Magma die? No.

Boolit Master
    "I buy only "Lathesmith" dies and have him custom make them to what I need."

I do this also, hard to beat the quality and customer service that Chris offers.

Boolit Mold
    Good move if you're not using it!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    So it sounds like I need to list my .3565 die w/ original box for sale then

Boolit Master
    STAR has a If you want to say a Cult following. If you own any of there products. You won't look Back. Magma Purchased The Luber sizer and . They are just as Good as Originals. With Star machine works Now in production. In new jersey, Parts will be available again.
    Same quality , good service Original Duplication.. I have six machines . I Listened to all The talk about Dillons, Lee, and Other. Nothing Like a Star
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    i have several Star, and a couple Magma dies in .0005" versions. I've never had a problem ordering those dies with particular lube hole spacing, or numbers of lube levels, either.
    I also have dies from Chris, and he does very good work.

Boolit Master
    I have an S&W Model 52 that I bought new and never knew I needed that die. Here I have been using a .357 all these years! I still think the seller must have been pretty happy with the sale!

Boolit Buddy
    For that price I'd consider selling all my San Diego dies and replace them with current Magma or Lathesmith dies.

As mentioned above, the .0005 versions are not particularly rare. Star would make anything you wanted. They would request some of your unsized bullets made with your alloy and would make a die to produce a bullet sized to your specification with a hole pattern and spacing to your specification for your bullet.

I would say that the eBay price on that particular die was an anomaly. As we all know, when two people really want something, (and don't know where else to get it) things can get really crazy.

And yes, the barrel on Model 52's are .355, so .3565 would be a good size bullet, but you could also use .357. Most Model 52 shooters are probably using swaged HBWC which are even bigger but work really well. At 50 yards its hard to duplicate the accuracy of a Hollow Base Wadcutter with a cast bullet. My experience anyway.
    Last edited by rbwillnj; 01-01-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member