Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ""new truck deal turns to a disaster"

Boolit Master

""new truck deal turns to a disaster"

Men it's like people say
    " When you think nothing else can go wrong--That's when it can, and it did.
    In spades.

All prep work was done, multiple phone calls, three trips to see the car by my friend.
    Called the insurance company to switch everything over,
    my friend all ready to pick up the car today at 4PM.OK,

let me back up.

My friend told me when he first checked out the car that he didn't have heat at idle from the defroster ( car sitting )
    Said all other vents were fine, plenty of heat, and then when driving the car the heat seem to be better at the defroster.
    Let me add that my friend told me more than once the car was in great shape ( was a great looking car, very clean )

My friend Brad spoke to his mechanic and he said it's either the radiator or the blender box
    ( think that's what he called it ) I called Ford and spoke to the service manager, he said fluid low in radiator,
    Could be the radiator needs replacing, told him the fill bottle was full. then he said could be the blender door.
    I called the guy selling the car and told him about the problem and he said he would have it checked out.

He called me last night and said it was all fixed and that it was the thermostat, and all was good.
    I asked him if he checked it at idle after the car warmed up cause that was the problem, and he said no.
    So I said how do you know it's fixed if you didn't recreate the problem ?
    Said he didn't have time, but said he trusted his mechanic and the car was fine.
    that's when Julie switched everything over and told brad to pick up the car at 4 today.

Well this morning the seller called back and said he couldn't sleep last night, and this morning he started the car and let it sit while it warmed up. He turned on the defroster and got cold air, at least 20* colder than the heater.
    He said it was more than likely the blender door/blender box. couldn't be fixed till next week and the cost would be passed on to Julie and I, That cost could be 700 t0 $800 because it's a 6 to 8 hour job.

I'm leaving out all the internal stress to Julie and what's going on here.
    At this point all the money that was raised by all my great friends here was needed to do the deal and then some from my next month S,S, check. It would be tight but we thought we could get it done.

Now I don't no what to do, Julie had a flat yesterday with the old truck and the sway bar came UN-done.
    She is scared to all out even to drive it, ( I sure don't blame her )
    I asked him if we could split the cost ( Don't even know how we would cover that amount ) but I asked anyway.
    He said he would have to ask the lady that he is selling it for, and would let me know.
    So I am on hold, For what I don't no,
    can't seem to afford what we thought we could afford.

It wouldn't be so bad cept hours and hours of frustrating time has been spent just to find this car.
    Some folks said to let them know how things work out and if we needed a little more help.
    Men how do I do that ? people have been so good up to this point, we thought everything was worked out, my wife was so happy she even posted pictures of the new truck on a different post.
    75 years old is not a good time to go through this, ( not that anytime is OK ) believe me I got that.

I have to ask you all, what do I do ?, do I try to continue with this ?, do I ask for more help ?
    Do I walk ? At this point all I know to do is to see if he will take some of the fix cost off the added money.
    Added money we don't have.

Folks if you have had it with us I don't blame you one bit, I know there is only so much you all can do for us.

So this probably to long post gave me a chance to let you know what's going on,
    A chance to vent, and most importantly to ask your advise.
    I truly apologist in advance for even having to say all this.
    I feel like I have failed at being able to take care of my family, something no man should fail at.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Tell the seller to either fix it at their expense or you aren't buying it.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    I would ask if the seller would split the repair cost with you. Then I would go to the local churches and see if they could provide a one time help for you. Many churches (at least here) have benevolence funds to help folks as yourself when things get balled up. Hoping it works out for you.

Steven
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.

Boolit Master

It sounds to me as if money has already changed hands. I believe the seller should at the very least pay half the repair bill - Or refund the purchase price. I am putting you both in my prayers because I know this can be a difficult situation. God is in control.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

This is most likely a problem with the blend door.

Blend doors are vacuum operated, so it may just have a small vacuum leak somewhere.

Hope this works out!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Perma-Banned

Prayer sent for a resolution to this situation.

Boolit Buddy
    It sounds to me as if money has already changed hands. I believe the seller should at the very least pay half the repair bill - Or refund the purchase price. I am putting you both in my prayers because I know this can be a difficult situation. God is in control.
    No that's not what I said, we still have all our donated money, came very close, but we didn't loose it.
    Just not enough for the repair.
    Rock and a hard place--yes I agree the seller should pay for some of this.

Sam
    Wife to Gray Wolf. It was time to get my own handle I guess cause

Moderator Emeritus

Sam and Julie,
    My advice, if you haven't signed a purchase agreement and/or had the vehicle title transfered...is to demand that it's fixed on the sellers dime or you are going to back out of the deal. But that is only my advice. The decision is yours and I trust you will make the best decision for yourselves.
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Perma-Banned

yes I agree the seller should pay for some of this.
    I agree...PROVIDED...the owner has not already agreed to a big discount on the sales price...unaware of this problem.

It's a pretty good assumption that the seller knew of this problem, especially if he used the SUV personally...then tries to sell it and act innocent.
    There's more fish in the sea than this one...sometimes God trips our best laid plans to steer us in another direction. It has worked like this in my life.

Tell him to fix or forget the deal. Then make sure he knows that you will contact Car-Fax or whatever that outfit was and notify them of this and it'll be there for him to deal with eventually...might give him a second thought to negotiate with you.

When I find someone who is not honest in full and up front...I pick up my marbles and head for another game...but that's me.

Hope that you get through this annoying BS and can concentrate on having some Happy Holidays...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I was a mechanic for many years. If there is a problem, heaters in vehicles are designed to default to defrost so you can see out of a clear windshield. This is why it seems to work best on defrost. These days most blend or mode doors in automotive applications are controlled small electronic motors that are prone to fail...I have seen the plastic doors broken too. To me all automotive HVAC systems are the definition of planned obsolescence. The sad part....it is usually a costly repair because the dash has to be removed from the vehicle making it labor intensive.

I personally would walk away from the vehicle. Otherwise it would have to be fixed before I bought it.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Buddy
    The seller (car lot) didn't own OR drive the car. Didn't know it was an issue until our friend drove it and found no heat from the defroster when it idled to warm up. It belonged to his bookkeeper.

We are waiting to hear back about the bookkeeper/owner absorbing this cost or not. We haven't made our minds up yet on whether to nix it all or not.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waarp8nt View Post
    I was a mechanic for many years. If there is a problem, heaters in vehicles are designed to default to defrost so you can see out of a clear windshield. This is why it seems to work best on defrost. These days most blend or mode doors in automotive applications are controlled small electronic motors that are prone to fail...I have seen the plastic doors broken too. To me all automotive HVAC systems are the definition of planned obsolescence. The sad part....it is usually a costly repair because the dash has to be removed from the vehicle making it labor intensive.

I personally would walk away from the vehicle. Otherwise it would have to be fixed before I bought it.
    This is not what happened. The defrost didn't work but the heater blasted out great heat.
    Last edited by Wise Owl; 12-16-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Sam and Julie,
    My advice, if you haven't signed a purchase agreement and/or had the vehicle title transfered...is to demand that it's fixed on the sellers dime or you are going to back out of the deal. But that is only my advice. The decision is yours and I trust you will make the best decision for yourselves.
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    This^^^^^^^

Now go find yourself a toyota 4Runner.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    This^^^^^^^

Now go find yourself a toyota 4Runner.
    No third seat in those, plus parts are even MORE expensive to repair them.

Boolit Master

Had a for ranger about that age that did that. Turned out it was the blend motor (small elec motor and gear on top of box) $25 part and 15 minutes to replace. Something don't sound right.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

I had a similar problem with my work truck. Engine could be hot and defrost was ice cold. Vacuum lines good. All looked right.....turned out to be a pencil.
    YES, a pencil. Evidently, the previous owner had lost a pencil in the vent and it had wiggled it's way down and locked up the works. LOL!! Who'd have thought a pencil?
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

walk away as fast as you can

Boolit Master
    I HATE to say it, but his isn't something that the seller (bookkeeper) didn't know about, and I wouldn't suggest dealing with a dishonest seller since you can't afford to fix this surprise much less the next one.

Boolit Buddy
    We were told that the whole dashboard had to come out to repair the blend door.

Been trying to contact the dealer for the past hour or so. Not picking up, left a message.

I think it's going to be back to looking again. Tough when you live far away from any dealers and you can't take a look yourself. This one was close to our friend who did go check it out for us. So, back to square 1 again. And we have about a month to find something or we will have no wheels at all due to our inspection sticker running out plus the Expedition in need of repairs that we don't want to spend money on to fix them all. In our minds that's just throwing money away that could be used to get something else.

Pickins are slim right now.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast