Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone finding .22 Shorts or Short HP's?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    What area do you live in?
    SE Ga., @ 50 mi. from Savannah. It's good to know they're still out there somewhere. I've requested special orders for them, but the suppliers my shops use didn't have them and didn't know if or when they might get some. Thanks to those who've given me some reassurance that they DO still exist! Just got my son a Marlin M-39 Article II and plan to do it up like the old one he had when he was a kid. He's long said that was one of the guns he regretted trading off. It'll have a Lyman peep, new, higher front 1/32" bead (he can still see the little beads), and a Merit iris disc so he can adjust to changing light conditions. He made some really awesome shots with his old one. I can't wait to see what he does with this newer one.

And shorts really do a great job on frogs and squirrels. I remember reading someone in F&S or OL magazines, I think it was, that shorts killed smaller game better than LR's do. I laughed. Anyone could SEE that the LR was "bigger," so it HAD to be a better killer! Well, one day, I couldn't find any LR's for my weekend plans for a squirrel hunt, but they had shorts, so I dejectedly took what I could get, and went a'huntin'. I was very surprised when every squirrel I hit that day simply humped up, and fell out dead. Did they tumble when they hit, as I've heard? Heck if I know. All I know is the proof of the pudding was right before me, and I couldn't explain it, but I knew it was real. Still don't know why it works that way, but they do.

And on frogs, nothing works as well as a short HVHP. They just anchor frogs better than anything I've ever used. And I like shooting them. Gigging them just ain't my style, and I didn't do all that shooting just to chuck a spear!

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. If I have to, I'll try the 'net.

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a case of aguilla shorts. Came in at $42 per brick. I use them in a tube fed 22 bolt action. It holds 14 long rifle or 25 shorts

Boolit Master
    They been scarce around here too. I have a nice 241 Remington that is short only, so kinda important to me Really like hunting with the quiet little loads!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if they ship, but Larry's pistol and Pawn in Huntsville, AL had 4 cases of CCI 22 short copper plated hollow points on the floor this morning. $10.99 per 100, or $19.99 if you bought two hundred.

Boolit Grand Master

Guns Unlimited in Omaha has as many as you want. Shorts and CB's.

Boolit Grand Master

Not familiar with the company, but...

http://www.ammofast.com/products/agu...00-round-brick
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Not around here. 22 mag also a hard find and dear too. Hope the new prez will change things for the better.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    A while ago a friend brought me his Belgian Browning auto rifle, 22 Short only, asking to get it cleaned and to regulate the scope. He even provided ammo - CCI 22 CB Short. Yeah, right, I thought, these will never cycle the action. Got the rifle cleaned and the scope bore-sighted, then off to the range. What a surprise, the CB Short ammo DID cycle that auto rifle. I fired a few test rounds, then filled the magazine and had a fine time popping holes in the target. Perfect function, no malfunctions of any kind. The CB ammo gave decent groups and put a huge smile on my mug. Have been meaning to test my own CCI 22 CB Shorts in my Winchester 74 Short Only rifle, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thin Man

Check out Cabelas on line. You order them& they email you to come to the store and pick them up when they come in. My daughter got 200 CCI short hv HP this way before Christmas. And she gave me one box. I like them for squirrels as well. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Does anyone else have this memory or is mine just faulty? As a kid (I'm 74 so it has been a while). I remember shorts being sold in a flat green pack of maybe 15-20 rounds. And I think they were called "Rocket", Remington I think since the pack was green.

Boolit Master

Don't remember that Dan (I'm only 71) but I do recall buying a brick of Rem 22 shorts for $5. Ah, the good ole days.

Moderator Emeritus

Dan, I can never trust my memory these days, but through the mist, I think I remember something similar to what you were talking about. Back then, to find or be given some "old ammo" was like striking gold during the gold rush, or even moreso since we couldn't anticipate when lightning would strike. Have no idea when it was made, and can't recall how it worked, but if I was given ammo back then, I'd darn sure fire it to see! Been a long time! Thanks for the memories.

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

Walmart in both Omaha and Yankton had them last week.

Boolit Master

Sparky45, yep, that is them.. odd that the package is red when in my memory it was Remington green! I believe the bullet is powdered iron with a binder instead of lead.

Boolit Master

KCSO, I had no idea these are still available! Certainly not in NC or FL Walmarts but I'll do an on-line search. I'd like some of these for nostalgia's sake.

Boolit Bub
    Gander mountain has Short CB instock online. Limit 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    I haven't found any in several years, and when I ask, I get that deer in the headlights look. Anybody seen any in your locale?

Boolit Master

Got this off Rimfire central. 1955 advert about the Rocket. Peters made a similar frangible and they are around $500/brick. Wish I hadn't shot all mine.

Moderator Emeritus

Ah yes! That was the "gallery load," was it not? Mfg. just for the shooting booths at county fairs that were once so popular before the PC crowd took over. As a kid, I spent all I had to spend on those. You had to keep getting the same gun because the sights would be off. Pay once to find out where it shot, and then the next time, you had a good chance. As I remember it, either the ammo wasn't that consistent, or many of those old (usually pump) rifles had the rifling shot out of them due to the sintered iron or whatever the bullets were made of. Sure had a lot of fun with those, though. When you found a gun that wouldn't shoot, you moved to another one for the next round. I was seldom lucky enough to win much before my $$$ ran out. Darn it!

I found some online some 3 years back. I'd found a winchester pump gallery gun for sale at an auction, paid too much both for the gun and the ammo.

I found it online but paid hefty price for .22 shorts.
    I think I paid 15 cents a round and I bought 200 rounds, winchester.

I have some of it left but I am not sure I am interested in letting it go.
    Be ready to pay through the nose for it, low demand for shorts nowdays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast