RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone finding .22 Shorts or Short HP's?

Moderator Emeritus

Is anyone finding .22 Shorts or Short HP's?

I haven't found any in several years, and when I ask, I get that deer in the headlights look. Anybody seen any in your locale?

Boolit Buddy
    I bought 2,000 of them in Huntsville last year. CCI shorts. I probably won't buy any more, and will get the CCI quiet 22's form this point on.

Boolit Master

The Walmart here has CCI Shorts pretty often. They are the same price as the Mini Mags.

Boolit Buddy
    Wally world had CB shorts the other day, to bad they won't cycle in a semi-auto.

Boolit Master
    Not seen any new ones in a while. Little gun store near me has all sorts of 22lr, but have not seen a box of shorts in a while. It always was a low demand item, and ammo companies may have simply shifted what 22 short production there was to LR.

Boolit Master

I have seen the low velocity quiet loads but not the regular hi velocity loads. The low vel ones are fun, if you shoot them through a heavy rested rifle and use a 9 power scope and the light is right you can watch them fall through your target. They are absolutely falling by the time they get to the target.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

+3 - My local WallyWorld has had loads of shorts for over a year, and now has dozens of boxes of various .22RF's in their Sporting Goods display case...

Boolit Master
    Wallyworld here apparently never heard of .22 Shorts or CB caps, though I used to buy these at the same store often in the 90's. They didn't have .22 Magnums either.

Oddly they no longer keep CO2 pistols in stock either, you have to order these online for pick up at the store. Perhaps they fear some trigger happy cop will shoot someone they see examining an air pistol that doesn't have an orange muzzle cap.

Boolit Buddy
    My Walmart (72927) has had 22 shorts on 3 different times in the last 4 months. They have some right now...
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Mold
    None locally, I finally found ONE place on line with CB shorts. Got 100 to try, too expensive to buy any more now. Not sure what's up with the LR CB and Super Colibri, none available for a long time now.

Bought some cci cb shorts at wally world the other day.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, it looks like I must live in a depressed area when it comes to those neat little killers. It's amazing how effective they really are on small game, especially frogs and squirrels. And I like the way, on squirrels, that after a shot, the squirrels come back out and become active again before they would when using LR's. A fine point, to be sure, but even the fine points count.

I've toyed with the idea of putting a slow twist barrel on an old Rem. 580 action I have, just for hunting squirrels and frogs with them. A long barrel, and the report is about like a pellet gun, but the range is longer. As stated, though, one does have to learn their peculiar trajectory. No biggie .... IF you can FIND the darn ammo!

I'm just hoping the newly incoming leadership of the country will somehow restore the availability of RF ammo! For too long, there's been a virtual black market in .22 RF ammo! And I feel cheated by that! Darn it!

Boolit Buddy
    Might be worth looking for online? Might cost a little more, but better to have them than not, lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Well, it looks like I must live in a depressed area when it comes to those neat little killers. It's amazing how effective they really are on small game, especially frogs and squirrels. And I like the way, on squirrels, that after a shot, the squirrels come back out and become active again before they would when using LR's. A fine point, to be sure, but even the fine points count.

I've toyed with the idea of putting a slow twist barrel on an old Rem. 580 action I have, just for hunting squirrels and frogs with them. A long barrel, and the report is about like a pellet gun, but the range is longer. As stated, though, one does have to learn their peculiar trajectory. No biggie .... IF you can FIND the darn ammo!

I'm just hoping the newly incoming leadership of the country will somehow restore the availability of RF ammo! For too long, there's been a virtual black market in .22 RF ammo! And I feel cheated by that! Darn it!
    What area do you live in?

Boolit Master
    I used to have a pump 22 that would feed .22 shorts and I used them to get more mag capacity and then shorts were cheaper. I don't have that pump anymore and nothing I have would feed the shorts so I am happy with rounds using the long case. I do buy CB longs and Kolibri I have a few boxes of each for times when I want to be quiet and don't need power.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I wouldnt mind picking up a few thousand of shorts. They were a lot of fun when I was a kid. I have found a huge variety of in stock rimfire ammo at local stores. But none in the 4 local Wal Marts I have shopped in almost 4 years. That includes Colorado and Tennessee.
    Havent seen any shorts in any store, period.
    East Tennessee

Banned
    the last time looked at 22 shorts might have been 2 months ago. in swPA, 1 gun dealer had 22 shorts/1 or 2 boxes(50 or 100 rnds, i don't remember) only and the the only other gun dealer you could take as much as you want. i don't remember the prices tho, i shoot my 22lr only rarely. i like the 20 vartarg, its seems to put a dent in the local groundhog and skunks and foxes and 'yotes and....

Well,, as a matter of fact, CCI .22 Short Hollow Points is about all I've been able to find since the great scarcity began. How long has it been now...3 years? 4 years? It seems like at least 10. Anyway, since .22 ammo disappeared I've been able to acquire two 100 round boxes of CCI .22 L.R., at widely separated times, and four 100 round boxes of .22 Shorts. I've been told stuff like, "If you get over to Wal-Mart on Wednesday morning about 9:00 a.m. and get in line you might get some. Fortunately, I had 5 bricks of various brands stashed, and still have most of it left. All .22 ammo that I've been able to connect with has been at our Pacific N.W. chain named Bi-Mart, and if they have any on the shelf at all, which is almost never, it is the CCI .22 Short HP ammo. Usually it's one to a customer.

Boolit Master
    Our local Walmart has .22 Shorts made by CCI in their cabinet. I bought some too. They got more in the last I looked. I guess CCI ran off a big batch of rounds to sell. I was pleasantly surprised by it as I had not seen any .22 shorts for many years now. I thought that maybe they had quit making them.

Boolit Buddy

I would have to look in my stash , but I have a brick of Winchester in the yellow boxes , they are older ones but have been well kept that I would part with
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast