RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Finally got a lathe

Boolit Master
    You have to call Amazon. We went through this 3 days ago. Ordered a new practice drum pad for the 17 year old. Didn't show up when it was supposed to. Reordered, showed up next day. Day after that, original order showed up. Box was empty. Stamped, "received without contents". Mrs. smokeywolf called Amazon (I think you have to email or PM them on their website then they call you). They said, "no problem, we'll credit your account".

Don't know if this made any difference, we've done tens of thousands of dollars in business with Amazon, both as buyers and sellers.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    You have to call Amazon. We went through this 3 days ago. Ordered a new practice drum pad for the 17 year old. Didn't show up when it was supposed to. Reordered, showed up next day. Day after that, original order showed up. Box was empty. Stamped, "received without contents". Mrs. smokeywolf called Amazon (I think you have to email or PM them on their website then they call you). They said, "no problem, we'll credit your account".

Don't know if this made any difference, we've done tens of thousands of dollars in business with Amazon, both as buyers and sellers.
    Last person I spoke with was apparently from India or Pakistan and I had quite a bit of difficulty understanding them. The conversation ended with, "Well, whatever... I have no idea what you are trying to say. Goodbye!"

They should have a menu option:

Press 1 for English.
    Press 2 for a native English speaker.
    Press 3 for someone that speaks English that you can actually understand.

I've been waiting 6.5 hours for a callback that the original person said would happen within an hour.

Boolit Master
    Got to agree with you on the phone menu.

Mrs. smokeywolf had a export business that relied heavily on a Amazon presence. Somehow she's always managed to get someone who can speak coherent English.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Got to agree with you on the phone menu.

Mrs. smokeywolf had a export business that relied heavily on a Amazon presence. Somehow she's always managed to get someone who can speak coherent English.
    Well, the first person I spoke with, she was perfectly understandable. She said she would call me back within an hour after the refund gift card went through. After 3 hours, I called back and from then on, I never got anyone that spoke a version of English that I could understand.

Boolit Master
    Have them send you a confirmation email that your account will be credited or they will re-ship.

- Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator

.............You know, if you get someone you cannot understand, and believe you're calling a foreign call center, you can ask to speak to someone in the United States. If they are in the United States, you may ask for an native English speaker. Hearing in my left ear (I usually clamp the handset there with my left shoulder) isn't really what it should be. So then I'll switch to the right ear and ask them to repeat it. If that doesn't handle it I'll ask them to SPEAK UP! Heck, I'm an old guy amd a, NOT trying to make points with anyone anymore, HA!

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............You know, if you get someone you cannot understand, and believe you're calling a foreign call center, you can ask to speak to someone in the United States. If they are in the United States, you may ask for an native English speaker. Hearing in my left ear (I usually clamp the handset there with my left shoulder) isn't really what it should be. So then I'll switch to the right ear and ask them to repeat it. If that doesn't handle it I'll ask them to SPEAK UP! Heck, I'm an old guy amd a, NOT trying to make points with anyone anymore, HA!
    With my luck, if I asked for a native English speaker, they would give be someone from Ireland or Scotland. Or maybe even worse -- someone from the Bronx or New Jersey...

Boolit Master

Well, I got the quick change tool post in on Thursday. Amazon hasn't refunded me the $12 shipping yet, but the gift card they put on the account to cover the cost of reordering the item worked. I'll give it a few days to show up on my credit card as a credit. The shipping cost debit has already shown up.

Going to try installing the quick change tool post this evening.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 02-04-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Just color me green - and if I had a place to put one - - I could move the wife's car outside?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Just color me green - and if I had a place to put one - - I could move the wife's car outside?
    Going to depend on the lathe...

Some need more space ...

(Lodge & Shipley 22x120)

... than others ...

(Fay & Scott 13x52)
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 02-15-2017 at 02:41 AM.

My old line shaft horizontal mill was converted to electric with the same gearbox that they used to convert that old lodge and Shipley lathe.

Banned
    That old machinery is artwork to me. To to think that they were working with that stuff before houses had electric lights...and they still function well now. It is just amazing.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	188173
    Someone converted my 1894 porter machine works with a model A transmission and an electric motor.
    As I was contouring a barrel on it a few days ago it occurred to me that there was someone standing over this very lathe in the late 1800s

Bought it at a farm auction for $175 and have replaced the 10" 3 jaw with a cheap 8" 4 jaw.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Some of the ones that I saw on CraigsList looked like they had been sitting out in the weather for so many years that they were only worth whatever the scrap metal was worth. It's a shame when some people leave classic machinery out like that and let it get ruined.

Boolit Master
    In the mid 1980s I was single pointing threads on titanium rod on a 1898 Hardinge Cataract Toolroom lathe. Was using the original follow rest too. Looked a little like that 13 X 52 cone drive lathe in the lower pic in post #110, but a might smaller.

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456