RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Worn out" .22 rifle

Older m60s have a tight chamber that doesn't like newer ammo.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    "22s don't need cleaning often or a lot of lube.
    Basically all you need is just enough to prevent rust. Over lube just gives more 22 dust to stick to. "

An article on forensics I read many years ago spoke of difficulty in matching bullets fired from a known murder weapon in .22 LR.
    They found that the cartridges used in the killing were from a batch with bullets that had been over lubed at the factory, the bullets skidded in the bore causing the rifling impressions in the bullets to be much broader than those of the rounds fired for comparison. Too much oil or grease in the bore probably has the same effect on soft lead bullets, and with small diameter bullets it might effect accuracy.

A friend has an old .22 autoloader that has a series of slots cut in the side of the receiver to allow excessive gas escaping the breech to blow clear of the action. I guess this improves functioning after firing many rounds without detail cleaning. Residue that would otherwise settle out on the internals is vented out the side.
    That rifle also has an odd feature. The bolt stays open after firing a shot until you release the trigger, it then cycles the next round. I think its an old Savage or Stevens model.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I used to keep a pint whiskey bottle full of mercury to clean .22 barrels . Plug the chamber and fill her up and let it sit a few days then pour the mercury and lead out . I've seen barrels that looked like they were smooth bore end up looking like a new barrel .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123