Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CPA Schuetzen rifle but no intention of competition

Boolit Buddy
    No interest in .22 rimfire ??? You're really missing out. It's a lot of fun and a lot cheaper. Well not a lot cheaper, you won't have any luck with "thunderbolts". You'll have to fine out what your rifle prefers and it'll probably be a little higher on the price scale but it's all worth it.
    Don't lose out on the fun of the .22 Scheutzen matches.

Quote Originally Posted by kcajeel View Post
    No interest in .22 rimfire ??? You're really missing out. It's a lot of fun and a lot cheaper. Well not a lot cheaper, you won't have any luck with "thunderbolts". You'll have to fine out what your rifle prefers and it'll probably be a little higher on the price scale but it's all worth it.
    Don't lose out on the fun of the .22 Scheutzen matches.
    Wow! I hope after nearly two years he's made up his mind already?

Boolit Master
    Suprised to see this thread back alive! I have bought a Uberti Schutzen in 32-20 and installed a Unertl scope. I also have bought a Martini match rifle 22 long rifle that has hooked butt plate and palm rest. I'm still interested in a very nice single shot and it's still on my short list. Just spending resources on other guns

Boolit Buddy
    I'm glad to hear you finally found your rifle. And also glad to hear that you bought you a Martini. Sounds great, I bought a Martini international Mk ll this last week myself. Been looking for one of those for a couple of years.
    Its all fun so enjoy.

Boolit Master
    Looks like I'm going to rebarrel the Uberti to a better grade barrel in 32-20. It just does not shoot tight groups. I'm still going to get a CPA. I'm coming around to a breech seat 32-40. Should be the most common used CPA

Boolit Master
    Found this thread a few days ago while researching CPA. I ordered my gun today. 32-40 Exhibition grade wood and engraved. Going to add a 22lr bbl.

Took a while to get this one going......

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Gard - You will not be disappointed,Trust Me!
    My CPA's consist of the following"
    Stevens 44 1/2 action with:
    * Schuezten stock & forearm with Pope Palm Rest
    * Silhouette stock & forearm
    * Following caliber barrels: 32-40, 38-72, 25-21, 40-65 and 45-70
    All with either Unertl, Fecker or Litschert - 10x, 15x or 20x scopes
    Accordingly, I do shoot all discipline of matches except BPCR
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Wow, exhibition grade and engraved! That'll be a looker. Is it a #52 schuetzen jr.? What other options?

I have two of them, but not engraved. The first is a #52 Shuetzen Jr. with upgraded wood and #4 half octagon Badger barrels in .32-40 and .38-55. The .38-55, when breech seated, is probably my most accurate black powder rifle. I went with the standard 2 prong buttplate and the ball & spur lever. Also a palm rest.

The second is also a #52 Schuetzen Jr, but with a Schoyen single prong buttplate. Extra fancy english walnut. I went with a .38-55 RKS barrel, a .32-40 Douglas XX barrel, and a .22LR also Douglas. I haven't wrung the accuracy out of the .38-55 barrel, but the .32-40 and .22LR are fantastically accurate.

Both rifles needed a little fiddling to get them working right, but they are excellent shooters. I originally shot them with Unertl scopes but I mostly use DZ Arms scopes or MVA sights now.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Not much as far as options. I did standard checkering and a Schoyen style palm rest. I'm going to do the 32-40 in half Oct/round 28" and the 22lr in a heavy full Oct 26". Each will have it own forend. I'm planning on using Unertls on both bbls. No sights. I did the 49 engraving just couldn't justify the 1550 for full engraving.

Is there anything else I need to be looking at?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock4a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	256034
    Last edited by GARD72977; 02-03-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 256035

I wanted wood with good straight grain in the wrist. The checkering should cover it nicely. Hope the cheek piece goes well with the grain on the back.

Boolit Master
    I'd check with what other people think, but I find that for shooting from the bench the single prong Schoyen buttplate is better than the standard double prong. But then for offhand I like the standard one.

I might one day order a loop style lever to see how I like that one. I am happy with the ball and spur style lever though.

The only thing I did that I would change is that on my .38-55 for the second rifle I ordered a benchrest style forearm. I'm going to order a traditional one as I just can't get into the look of the benchrest one. I find that the more I shoot these rifles the more traditional I want them to be configured.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I ordered mine with the standard double prong butt plate and Pope lever. I only intend to shoot mine off hand so no concern with butt plate.

Vendor Sponsor

Who is providing the wood? I assume the first class wood shown in #49 is the piece you intend to stock it with. Is this wood from CPA or some other source?
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I ordered mine with the standard double prong butt plate and Pope lever. I only intend to shoot mine off hand so no concern with butt plate.
    I have a Cody Ballard Schoyen offhand rifle. The Schoyen double prong is very comfortable, and I shoot it often off the bench. But I got a repro hard rubber (black plastic) buttplate from Vintage grips and fitted it to the stock. It just makes it easy and comfortable to shoot it off the bench also, and makes the use more versatile.

Boolit Master
    Finalized the order today. 28" octogon bbl 32-40 1/14 twist. I decided to go with the Pope checkering. I asked for the checkered panels to be shaded a little darker than the rest of the wood. I'm really excited about this rifle. It was a lot of fun doing the research and ordering exactly what I want.

Boolit Master
    Couldn’t get the 32-20 to shoot then?
    Too finicky.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Finalized the order today. 28" octogon bbl 32-40 1/14 twist. I decided to go with the Pope checkering. I asked for the checkered panels to be shaded a little darker than the rest of the wood. I'm really excited about this rifle. It was a lot of fun doing the research and ordering exactly what I want.
    I think you'll be super happy with it. The .32-40 is the perfect choice for offhand in a traditional rifle. What weight barrel did you choose? I have heard a few people say they prefer a #3 profile for offhand, but I really like my 28" half round #4 weight barrels.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Now is the hard part the "wait" for the rifle. Its the 2 months before Christmas again.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Gard, you might want to consider the Stevens 28-30. This caliber is considered one of the accurate calibers out to 300yds.

https://www.cparifles.com/pages/calibers#2830

.28-30 STEVENS – This is a fine original caliber, one made famous in its day by Stevens and also chambered by Winchester and the custom makers. Stevens often rebored and rebarrelled rifles to this caliber. The factory used 14” twist barrels, and this is the preferred twist. We also have 12” twist, but shooters are cautioned against using very heavy bullets in the Schuetzen calibers, since accuracy may not be all that was expected. The normal weight used in the past was 130-135 grains, and this is certainly a good place to start. Since this caliber will often shoot its best with about 12.5 grains of 4227, velocity may be close to 1600 fps. Such high velocity may be a great advantage, as the bullet is supersonic to 200 yards. When pushed to such velocities, the .28 has a very distinctive “crack” when fired. The barrels that we use are Douglas 7mm in 12 and 14 twist. It is best to figure on about a .284 groove diameter, but Douglas barrels vary due to being button rifled. The original brass uses large primers, but the new Bertram cases use only small primers, which should be borne in mind when ordering a capping tool. This long case must be annealed and full length sized when bought from Bertram, as their brass is really “basic”. Back to Top

Brass ... https://www.rccbrass.com/28-30-stevens/
    The .28-30-120 Stevens is considered the first 7mm centerfire rifle cartridge. It can propel a .284 dia., 120 grain bullet at 1500 fts with 599 ft.-lbs. of energy. This is an ideal caliber rifle for small to medium size game and is accurate out to 300 yards. The lifespan of this cartridge was cut short by the widespread appeal of smokeless powder. However, this caliber has seen a resurgence with single shot sporting groups and is now available at RCC Brass.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I ordered a #4 weight full Oct. I like a heavy gun. This in should come in around 14lbs.

John Boy - I have some interest in the 28-30. I'm trying to plan my future gun purchases. I'm looking to add a Stevens 45 single trigger some time in the future in 25-20ss or 28-30.

I managed to pick up this Ken Hurst 22 Low Wall. Should be in tomorrow. It will give me something to do while I wait for the 32-40. To be honest im more excited about the 22.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70086sey_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	256963

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast