Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Savage cast load question

Boolit Mold

300 Savage cast load question

Good morning. I have a Savage model 99 in 300 Savage that I would like to try some cast bullets in. The mold I have for this is a Lee 312-185 1R. I have cast some of these and sized them down to .311 with a Hornady copper gas check. I was looking at the Hodgdon burn chart and saw that H335 might be a likely candidate for this. The Lyman cast book lists a charge of 26 grains starting load with 4198 (if I remember correctly). As H335 is 2 spots lower on the burn chart, is it safe to load the same starting load with H335? My OAL is 2.530".
    Thanks in advance.
    Charlie

Boolit Master

Charlie,

First, Welcome to the forum.

I've never had a lot of luck with ball powders and cast boolits. I think the the heavy deterant coating on the spheres does not go well with the lower pressures of cast boolit loads.

I've always found the easier to ignite stick powders, like 4759, 4198, 3031, 4895, etc., produce more uniform ballistics.

For lighter loads, you may want to try a pistol powder like Unique.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the insight. I double checked last night and the powder I was referring to was 3031, not 4198. Of those you mentioned, I've got 4895 and Unique. Would the 10 grain Unique rule be a good place to start?

Boolit Master

I think that it would do well in your 300 Csparks. You should see about 1,500 fps with your 185 grain boolit. Consider about 12 grains of Unique about max.

What is your velocity goal or objective with your loads? Either 3031 or 4895 will both work well in your 300 with heavier cast boolit loads.

The 30 cals are extremely versatile from rabbit loads to deer loads with cast boolits. Check and see if you have an older short receiver Model 99 or a later long receiver Model 99. That may have some impact on the overall length of your rounds. I think the change was made in the early 50 when Savage started chambering the slightly longer 308 Winchester in the 99.

Old Savages are really fun rifles. Hope your project goes well.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-16-2016 at 01:18 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Check and see if you have an older short receiver Model 99 or a later long receiver Model 99. That may have some impact on the overall length of your rounds. I think the change was made in the early 50 when Savage started chambering the slightly longer 308 Winchester in the 99.

Old Savages are really fun rifles. Hope your project goes well.

Hmmmm, I wasn't aware there were 2 different chamber lengths. It's an older rifle (obviously) but not sure of the exact build date. How do I determine this?

As far as my goals, right now I'm just experimenting. I actually bought that mold for my 303 British, but thought I'd try it in the Savage too. I shoot a fair amount of cast in my handguns, but not in rifles. just trying expand my horizons.

Boolit Master

....chamber length
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

In Remembrance

The difference is in ACTION LENGTH not chamber length. Robert

Boolit Master
    The magazine on the the older 99's takes a max cartridge length of 2.6, the 'newer' model goes about 2.78. I agree on most ball powders needing too much pressure to burn well with cast bullets. 4198, 3031, Reloder 7, Accurate 2015, 4895 all work well with milder pressures. I have found the throats on most 99's 'generous' but it could be a factor in seating depth. Short neck, seating below the neck is not an issue for accuracy.

Boolit Mold
    MLG, it must be an older one. I'll check when I get home but I had originally loaded these rounds to 2.600". It barely went into the magazine and wouldn't cycle through. When I reduced OAL to 2.530" they loaded into the magazine and cycled as expected.

Boolit Master

My short action Model 99 carbine (circa 1937) works well at 2.525." Wish I could go longer, but if I do, it's a single shot.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

If you are trying to go for heavy boolit maximum velocities without overcoming the strength of the boolit base (plastic deformation) then compressed charges of ball powder can perform nicely and be your friend. You'll probably be blowing a bunch of unburned powder out the muzzle and may even end up with powder dents of the outside of your cases. And might just overcome the strength of your alloy before you find the sweet spot. Any how, it's a small niche in cast shooting that we really seldom have need of.
    In Texas my deer load (my wildcat cast cartridge) was #375296, compressed charge of 760 and CCI-250. In Indiana we got some goofy regs that have to be worked around. Might use a 330 grain paper patched.

About the Model '99, in .300 Savage it's a great small game cast boolit rifle. The rifle is sleek and handles great. The bore size is perfect. You can gin up the cases out of old brass from other calibers so you're not screwing up your high power cases with set back or separation. And deer hunting scopes are really just right for bunny heads. A latter day rook rifle. Does it get any better?

Boolit Master

Savage 99s

About the Model '99, in .300 Savage it's a great small game cast boolit rifle. The rifle is sleek and handles great.
    Amen to that. This 1937 barrel band carbine is as sleek and handy as it gets, albeit in 30/30.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Savage 99-01-800-90%.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-19-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Irrelevant but I use 38 grains of 3031 under a hornady 150 gr SP in my 300 savage. It's a near max load but I use it in a Remington mode 81 autoloading rifle and it needs the extra "umph" to cycle the action. Very accurate
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Mold
    • IMG_0967.jpg (49.4 KB)

This is 6 rounds from 50 yards. I am pleasantly surprised. I don't have a chrono so no idea what the speed was but 3 rounds at 26.0 grains and 3 rounds at 27.0 grains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0967.jpg  

Boolit Master

Lookin' good Csparks.

I see that you are located in Central Arkansas. I used to shoot on military rifle teams and we often shot on the big range complex at Fort Smith. Are you near that base or city?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Mold
    I presume you're talking about Ft Chaffee. If so, then my glass shop is about 30 minutes East of there in a little town called Paris. My brother in law is a contractor and is or has already rebuilt their range.

I've got 12 more empty cases sitting there awaiting powder and bullets. Then I'll take them out and try them at 100 yards.

Banned
    Csparks1106,

While I shoot a 1954-vintage Remington Model 760 in .300 Savage instead of a Model 99 Savage, I would suggest that you try your 185 GCCB in front of 28 grains of 3031. = That load is a near ballistic twin of the old .30-40 Krag load of COL Theodore Roosevelt's era & it's a good KILLER on most any NA game up to & including black bears, mule deer & elk out to 200M.

For a small game (I count squirrels, bunnies, foxes & coyotes as "small game".) load, the same bullet in front of 10 grains of Unique works FINE, is CHEAP to load, great practice for deer season & spoils little edible meat.
    (Since my "brother of the heart" designed me a "small game load" for even my rifles in .30-06, I don't even OWN a .22LR firearm anymore.)

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

yours, satx

Quote Originally Posted by Csparks1106 View Post
    • IMG_0967.jpg (49.4 KB)

This is 6 rounds from 50 yards. I am pleasantly surprised. I don't have a chrono so no idea what the speed was but 3 rounds at 26.0 grains and 3 rounds at 27.0 grains.
    With that group I wouldn't even set the chronograph up. Go huntin'! Best, Thomas.

Banned

For a deer load, my 99EG did well with either the 311041 or the Ranch Dog .30-30 bullet and 28 grains of IMR4895 with a little Dacron filler.

I love 99s. You can't ask for a better hunting rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try 30 Grains of 748 or 17.5 grains of 2400 with your 185 grain boollit. These loads have been accurate for me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.