WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: ???Lathe/Mill???

Boolit Buddy

Cool ???Lathe/Mill???

Hello everybody, I'm Nun2kute, and I am a Tool/Gun Junkie: This place is probably not a good place for me, but I have not been to Jail lately I just got through a post about tools and gadgets members have made themselves, and I love the post with all the Reloading room pictures, I've found some excellent ideas here. Someday I promise to join the group with my own pictures.

I have a small woodworking shop, (o.k, I have some woodworking tools) and have made my own workbenches and cabinets. I just love working with my hands. That's probably why building ammo is so much fun for me, almost as much as shooting ammo.

But sometimes my little Craftsman bench-top drill press just doesn't seem to be up to the task. Or it's just my brain overreaching the specifications of my drill press. Anyway, after going through all the pictures of homemade die's, and automatic bullet casters and self built press's, I got to thinking about a small metal lathe as an addition to my shop.

So here is the gist of this post. I can buy a new Router for under 2 C-Notes. A good one at that, but in order to do anything with that Router, I have to buy the tooling for it to be of any use, which can far outdistance the price of the Router cost. So, How much does tooling cost for a Lathe ?, I realize it probably depends on brand and purpose, but what would you expect to spend just for entry level learning of the tool ?

I am sure I can get by without it, but on the other hand it would be a really nice addition to my shop too.
    Also, IS there a difference between a Lathe and a Mill ?

I have three lathes and a horizontal and a vertical mill. Tooling is a big cost, but it can be added as you go. If you were to start off with everything it would likely be the same situation where the tooling cost is more than the machine cost. When I got my first lathe I think I spent about $120 for an import dial indicator, calipers, 1" micrometer and set of HSS bits. As time went on I added a live center, indexable carbide tools, reamers (also good for the vertical mill) as needed, a boring bar, and a 4-jaw chuck for the 2nd lathe and will eventually get a 3-jaw for the 3rd lathe. A lot of the tooling will/can work between machines. The vertical mill was much the same only I've added many end mills (consumables), Kurt d6 mill vise, 5c: collets; blocks; indexer; end mill sharpener, universal dividing head, corner rounding bits, fly cutter, parallel set, big drill bit set, 2-3" and 3-4" micrometers. The horizontal mill came with a good selection of cutters and a nice vise so I've only added a few cutters in sizes I didn't have.

Boolit Master
    A lathe spins the work against the tool, a mill spins the tool against the work. Many lathes can be fitted with milling attachments for light milling jobs.

Buying a machine tool is like buying a computer. You have to know what you want to do with it now, and have a good idea of what you may want to do with it in the future. In addition, you need to figure how much room you have to spare for a given size of machine.

Going into it dead cold, the best course of action is to invest in some hands-on instruction first. Check out the community colleges in your area for Machine Tool Technology classes and take a few. Start accumulating catalogs from Jet, Grizzly, Enco and other outlets. Also, keep an eye on E-Bay and your local Craig's Lists to see what kind of used stuff might be available. You'll have a good idea of what you need and what is available to you after a couple semesters of basic research.

Oh, welcome aboard. This site is a major resource; you'll like it!

Boolit Buddy

Of all the Forums im a member of this is the best and most addicting, a wealth of information. the only bad thing is the addiction of it I have spent a ton of money in the last 2 or 3 week , just getting back into casting ....but it keeps me out of the bars LOL
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Brother Bent Ramrod spoke true! If you can get yourself into even the very first class of a Machine Trades course at your local community college, you will get a better idea of what you
    will be interested in doing with mills and lathes, and at a cost of less than setting up either tool. The instruction you receive will also be of much benefit.

Since you you have a drill press, I'm guessing a small (say 6-10" swing) lathe will be your first purchase, followed by a continuous stream of tooling purchases as you use it more. The bench top mills run out of capacity pretty quickly, but will likely do for hobby work unless you get real serious about this stuff.. then all bets are off and get out your checkbook!

I'm at the small lathe and bench top (horizontal) mill stage, but am only starting to get tooled up since retirement from an unrelated career.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    There's a sort of kindred spirit among chronic tinkerers like we here in the cast boolits site. Many of us started out in the same way for the same reasons.

I started out with a harbor freight mini-mill and a mini-lathe. I bought the tooling from the same place too. It was all what many would consider to be cheap stuff but, to me it was expensive stuff. It's true that you will slowly accumulate the tools you need most. If you have the funds to dive right into the higher quality stuff you are very lucky; or, very blessed.

I learned alot using those small machines. I broke a few tools and I made some stuff that I wouldn't have been able to make or afford to buy otherwise.

I eventually sold that mini-lathe and bought a Grizzly 9x19 metal lathe. Some of the tooling I was using on the harbor freight mini-lathe could still be used on this slightly larger metal lathe. I re-barreled my first rifle using that 9x19 lathe. From there I graduated to a Grizzly gunsmithing lathe and for my mill upgrade I went directly to a Tormach 770 CNC hobby mill.

I still have the little harbor freight mini-mill. I use it as a drill press and there are times when it's easier to use it rather than setting up my CNC mill for a quick one-off part.

We know where you're coming from and I think that most of us can kind of guess where you're headed to as well. I wish you well on your journey.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 12-15-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Buy used and you'll save a lot more money. Tooling adds up quick and comes with a lot of used equipment. There are hobby sized machines and even combination lathe/mill machines but I would rather have a used "real" lathe or mill than a new one that won't hold up over time.

3ph powder will be required for the good ones but they can be used with phase converters if you only have single phase.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a used Jet lathe and it sits idle most of the time. But it is priceless when needed. No regrets.

Agree with jmorris....buy used...if you need to upgrade later you will probably sell it for more than you paid.

Don Verna

PS....ever lose one of those stupid brass pins Dillon uses with their shell holders? Usually on a weekend too. Easy to make with little experience in a few minutes.

Boolit Master
    The 7x10 mini lathe has been one of the most useful purchases for reloading, firearms,models,etc that can be had. Check out Varmit Al's site for a little insight on the uses for reloading. Buy one and dont look back.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Man

I agree with both Bent Ramrod and troyboy, invest the time and money in education, and buy a small used lathe to practice/work on at home. The learning curve goes faster with more hands on time. Even making the little Dillon pins can save time and headaches, especially when its an odd set. As you learn, there is not much you cannot do if you put your mind to it. Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I really appreciate everybody here, Sooo friendly with sooo much info to share. This place is definitely addicting.

I can see now, I need to take my own advice and READ. A fella at work came to me and started asking questions about reloading for a "BIG" gun he was going to buy. (I don't remember what Caliber it was, something really big) And I told him, the best advice i could give him was to go buy a Reloading Manual and READ the first part thoroughly.

I did some looking around a couple of "For Sale" sites and found a plethora of tools to drool over. But I also found I have no idea of exactly where I want this "thread" of life to end up. I definitely need to do lots more research. Kinda like how and why I built a couple of my work benches. I had to work in a big clutter (and on one that was waaay to short for my 6'2" frame) before I figured out how I was working with my tools to best accomplish the task. Like which end to put the press on, and where the shell holders and die's needed to be put. Got the washing area over there, and the cleaning area over there to keep the gun oil away from the powder. I'll get it all organized sooner or later.

Thank You All, for all your advice !

Boolit Grand Master

Something to consider - you are doing woodwork now, and so am I. Unless you have a very nice dust collection system (I don't) you will get sanding dust on everything, or at least I do. You don't say where you are but here in Hampton Roads and in other parts of the country where humidity is an issue sanding dust and raw steel do not play together well. If I were to start serious metal work I would want a separate workshop for it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

What the shrink said. My little metal shop is on the opposite side of the basement from the wood working tools. I would advise you to see if there is a local community college or such that has adult education classes in metalwork. I've taken a couple just to have access to the machinery, and I wasn't the only one doing so. For extra fun, take a course in blacksmithing. Some parts can be forged better/faster than machined.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Find yourself one of these if you can. The rare and lovely Pratt & Whitney #3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0844.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    OP, check Craigslist a couple of times a day; you'll find something at a good price if you're looking in a larger urban area. All of the manual machines that the hobby guys want are dirt cheap right now, anybody doing it for money is using CNC, and they are selling the old manual stuff for cheap.

Plus the guys in their 30s+ never had shop classes, so they don't want lathes or mills either. It's a lot of us old farts that are selling off the tools we bought 30+ years ago and are downsizing. I can't believe how cheap stationary tools are compared to what I was paying in the '80s and '90s; like one third the cost....