RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Anybody like the Lee 358-140-swc?

Boolit Buddy

Anybody like the Lee 358-140-swc?

Never tried this mold up until now but got it out and cast several hundred of them out of a fairly soft alloy last weekend. Weighed about 141 gr and cast at .360". I loaded them up in 38 spl brass over 4.0 of AA #2. Book said approx 850 fps out of a 4" barrel. These are just cheap plinking rounds to keep my 38s running.

Anybody have any experience with this bullet?
    Last edited by Deep Six; 12-13-2016 at 12:42 PM.

I'm shootin 'em. Powder coated with HF red. I had to hone my mold to get them to drop .359 with 50/50+2%. All I've loaded so far is 3.5 gr Titegroup. est vel at +/- 850 fps. Fun loads. Shooting them from a 3" Ruger speed six postal inspector and a 6" S&W mod 19 combat magnum. I haven't taken them to the range for grouping on paper though. Just woods walking and stump blasting. This is likely all I'm going to do with them. I used factory loads for carry duty and .45acp for the house gun. Fastlady and fast daughter like shooting them also.

Boolit Master
    I've used them up to a little over 900 fps (per my chrono) with 4 grains of 700X. 4 grains was pushing it a little-- but no pressure signs. It also works well with a little lighter load. I used BLL tumble lube only. No leading in my S&W Model 64 revolver (4" barrel). I made mine using Lyman #2-- so they were a little harder. About half the time I could even hit a 12" gong at 50 yards offhand-- which tells me the boolit was doing its part well. I really like them.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Iuse the Lee 140 SWC with 4.2 grs. of bullseye in a 357 case in my 686 Smith. It is as accurate for me as most wadcutters in 38 wc brass. The load just has more recoil than I want for bullseye target shooting.It does cut very clean holes in paper.

Boolit Master
    They are actually a great bullet in my experiences and have heard many others with similar experiences. In .38 special with 4 grains of unique they are about as accurate as anything else out there. They're like a wadcutter round but not quite as much of the bullet in the case and a small SWC nose. Just about perfect for plinking.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I get around to shooting some of these on my days off the next couple weeks. It's -5 here tonight but that doesn't bother me. It's just hard to go shoot at the backyard range when I spend all the daylight hours at work!