Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 45 acp cylinder

Boolit Man

45 acp cylinder

Question for everyone I recently created a solid model of a 45 acp Ruger blackhalk cylinder and am thinking about getting it into production. Is there a market for these? hope someone can help thanks

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    I thing so. I say go for it.
    45acp brass is cheap.
    Kind of like a 45 spl.

bb
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

Boolit Master
    ruger makes 45 acp convertible cylinders for the 45 colt blackhawk.

next problem is ....each cylinder has its "timing" set at the factory for its blackhawk.

so really you would open yourself to lawsuits by the one who just drop one in...go to the range...and blow themselves up.

Vendor Sponsor

The only thing that's individual about each cylinder is it's length and the length of the gas ring on the front. It has to fit in the frame window and it also has to fit snugly to the fire ring on the end of the barrel.

Tried to find one of these on ebay? There are currently two posted for sale, $225.00 Buy Now.

The 45 ACP generally brings the highest amount and you are lucky to even find an affordable one. Ruger will not sell you one for your gun unless your gun shipped from the factory with a 45 ACP cylinder.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-13-2016 at 08:26 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    vinny, I'd like for you to do it!
    On most forums a used one pops up for $75-$100 and they get grabbed quick.
    Benny

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The real value of this is being able to have other chambers cut in the real gems like a correct chamber for Schofield , Rowland , mag etc.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Several have gone recently on GunBroker in the $150 range.

A Bowen cylinder blank for large frame Ruger runs $250. To that add machine and gunsmith time to line-bore, fit and chamber.

If you could sell a heat treated, finished, drop-in cylinder for $250 in the caliber of your choice, you could sell alot of them.

I would not limit yourself to .45 ACP. DougGuy can make a good case for a strong, modern Schofield. A 7.62x25 cylinder to fit the .30 Carbine Ruger would be interesting. Other folks can give you more ideas.

A properly-dimensioned .44-40 cylinder having .447" chamber necks and .4305" cylinder throats to enable loading appropriate modern bullets dimensioned to work well in revolvers having barrels of .44 Magnum dimen sions would be attractive to a few people. I had about $500 invested in a custom cylinder made from a Bowen blank, custom chambered and fitted to my .44 Magnum SBH by the time I was done. That cylinder out-shoots the factory .44 Magnum cylinder and is one of my favorites.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I know this a Ruger thread, but I'd sure be interested in one for my S&W M25 .45LC. (I do know that is a tougher one, but still ... )

Bowen makes blank cylinders for S&W N-frame also. Then there is the machine and gunsmithing work...

I found a used .44 Magnum S&W Model 29 cylinder on GunBroker for $150, then had John Taylor line-bore, fit and chamber in .45 to refit a basket-case M1917 with rusted out barrel and cylinder. Was lucky enough to find a new INA-Brasil .45 barrel which fit, and the rebuilt revolver is quite satisfying.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Im sure the demand is there. But sure to be some variation in pistols where some fitting is required. I bought a conversion cyl for an 1858 pietta, and it fit one but not the other. Was a little long for the one, but if fitted to that one, had to much cyl gap in the other.

Not sure about using 460 Rowland, I cut some Rowland brass back to use in a 45 ACP blackhawk, recoil pulls the bullets forward as you cant give them a good crimp, did the same with 45 super. Ended up having to make Rowland brass out of cut down 454 cases, then I could give a roll crimp. Most want the 45 acp cyl for the cheap ammo it can use vs 45 colt. Schofield, might as well use 45 ACP or autorim. And works in a colt chamber as is.

7.62x25 in a 30 carbine ruger would be cool. I like the tokarev round, but seems like handloading you can get 30 carbine the same velocity as a 7.62x25.

Maybe some sort of 22lr/mag conversion you can drop in? 22 hornet? 22TCM?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Im sure the demand is there. But sure to be some variation in pistols where some fitting is required. I bought a conversion cyl for an 1858 pietta, and it fit one but not the other. Was a little long for the one, but if fitted to that one, had to much cyl gap in the other.

Not sure about using 460 Rowland, I cut some Rowland brass back to use in a 45 ACP blackhawk, recoil pulls the bullets forward as you cant give them a good crimp, did the same with 45 super. Ended up having to make Rowland brass out of cut down 454 cases, then I could give a roll crimp. Most want the 45 acp cyl for the cheap ammo it can use vs 45 colt. Schofield, might as well use 45 ACP or autorim. And works in a colt chamber as is.

7.62x25 in a 30 carbine ruger would be cool. I like the tokarev round, but seems like handloading you can get 30 carbine the same velocity as a 7.62x25.

Maybe some sort of 22lr/mag conversion you can drop in? 22 hornet? 22TCM?
    22TCM would be really cool. I just have zero use for one.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The want of a Schofield ,Cowboy and assorted length ACP is to use up the split necks of the .473-475 family cases and the related Colts 454 gang .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Bowen makes blank cylinders for S&W N-frame also. Then there is the machine and gunsmithing work...

I found a used .44 Magnum S&W Model 29 cylinder on GunBroker for $150, then had John Taylor line-bore, fit and chamber in .45 to refit a basket-case M1917 with rusted out barrel and cylinder. Was lucky enough to find a new INA-Brasil .45 barrel which fit, and the rebuilt revolver is quite satisfying.
    45 ACP? Afaik, the 44 magnum chamber is still larger than .452" at the end of the 45 ACP case, how did he convert it, with moon clips?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    45 ACP? Afaik, the 44 magnum chamber is still larger than .452" at the end of the 45 ACP case, how did he convert it, with moon clips?
    44 is .450 or less case od . See reference above to correct 44-40 chamber at .447 .

And now I see the 44 is .457 . Fortunately they are the same length as Colts at .480-486 ......... Feel the fool, admit it , move along.......
    Last edited by Harter66; 12-13-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Cylinder was taken out to .45 Colt, not ACP!

Attachment 182664
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Man
    If thsi was true then why would one sell them on ebay.....? If they were opening them selfs up to lawsuits.

Boolit Man
    since it sounds like there is a market I would make cylinders in any caliber anyone wanted.