Ingredients
    2-1/2 c All Purpose Flour
    3/4 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup buttermilk
    4-1/2 Tbsp Shortening, .. I use Crisco

Direction s:
    1. Pre-heat oven 450F.. In a medium size bowl, mix flour,salt, baking soda, and baking powder
    together. Add shortening, and use a pastry cutter,until a crumbly mixture like oatmeal is produced.
    Add the buttermilk to the center of the flour mixture. Mix with a spoon until the dough is slightly
    lumpy, and looks shaggy. Then with your hands, knead the dough in the bowl 3-4 times. It helps if you flour your hands, a little.
    2. To make cat head biscuits (the size of a cats head) pinch off a ball of dough 2-1/2 -3 inches,
    and pat with your hands into a thick biscuit. Put heads into a cast iron skillet (4) even a pie
    plate with any leftovers. Or all on a cookie sheet. etc. even a pie plate.. My skillet held only 4
    heads... so 2 went into a pie plate.
    3. Bake for 15 minutes.. until golden brown. Serve with butter, jam, honey, apple butter, or like I
    do... serve your favorite recipe for sausage gravy

Makes about 9-12 biscuits depending on the size
    Last edited by brasshog; 12-13-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Going to try it Thursday.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome. Made a correction on the flour. You can use self rising flour instead of AP flour, baking soda, and baking powder I believe.

Boolit Master

Yes you can but that's the way grandma made 'em, except use lard or butter and a little more of it.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

And for "dinner" biscuits add about 3/4 cup sharp cheese and a heaping tbsp garlic powder.A little more buttermilk and drop by spoonful onto greased pan.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Mama's kitchen smelled a lot like incense and cathead biscuits...

Boolit Master

Ok I tried this and it was real good. I substituted butter for crisco since I had it and made quicky buttermilk with regular milk and a couple tbs of vinegar. Made six nice ones and I was happy to get my 2. Went through a whole jar of wild mustang grape jelly too. Thanks for the recipe I think I'll make it again soon.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    Your welcome Fishman. I have tried the biscuits with both whole milk and buttermilk. Either milk seems to work fine and I assume that the recipe is basic enough that several items such as crisco can be substituted with good results. I'm glad that you enjoyed them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tried the recipe but used 5 1/2 tbs butter and added 2 tsp sugar. Best biscuits I have made in awhile

Moderator Emeritus

Not trying to hijack the recipe .... but I never have buttermilk in the refrigerator because I dont like it except to cook with and even the smallest amount goes bad before I use it up so I did some research and found:

The Best Buttermilk Substitutes
    (Joy the Baker)
    1. Milk and Lemon or Vinegar:
    In a 1-cup measuring cup, add 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Top the lemon juice with skim, low fat or whole milk. Stir and let sit for two minutes. After two minutes, your milk is both acidic and curdled. If you need 2 cups of buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to the milk. Two tablespoons aren’t necessary.
    2. Milk and Yogurt:
    Stir 1/4 cup milk into 3/4 cup plain yogurt to create a nicely thick buttermilk substitute.
    3. Milk and Cream of Tartar:
    Stir together 1 cup of milk and 1 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. To ensure that the mixture doesn’t get lumpy, mix the cream of tartar with 2 Tablespoons of milk. Once mixed add the rest of the cup of milk. Cream of tartar is an acid and will simulate the acidic environment of buttermilk in a pinch.
    4. Non-Dairy Option: Almond Milk and Yogurt (with a splash of vinegar):
    Stir 1/4 cup almond milk into 3/4 cup almond milk yogurt. Add a splash (about 1/2 teaspoon) vinegar to the mixture and stir well. Soy milk and yogurt can also be substituted for the almond milk products.

Hope this helps....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

News Flash: Just could not resist making the recipe.....even made my own buttermilk.....slap yo momma good.....but dont....it is Christmas!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks rockrat for trying it and posting the substitutes. Thanks buckwheatpaul for the additional information. I knew how to make buttermilk and ricotta cheese from milk but others may not have. Here is a link for turning the curds into fresh ricotta http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make...e-kitchn-23326 I too don't keep buttermilk or even milk in the fridge except for cooking since I'm lactose intolerant. If there is milk of any sort sitting around for too long it becomes biscuits for the freezer. I'm glad that everyone is trying this recipe and each adding their own flare to it. That is just what I had hoped for.

Moderator Emeritus

I can't drink milk so for cooking I keep powdered on hand...

Boolit Master
    This is a super recipe. I like the addition of cheese and garlic. I found dried buttermilk at the supermarket. Just add a quarter cup to the dry ingredients then use a cup of water for the liquid ingredients. So somple even I can do it.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.