MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cuts

Boolit Master

Cuts

I feel that we should bring up this item of you cutting your self while skinning the catch.

But first, I hope that everyone that is out there bustin your behinds, walking for miles, plunging your nice warm hands into that freezing water, snapping your digits in trap jaws, loosing tools or traps, having traps stolen, checking a really good set for 2 weeks with not even a tripped trap and can't figure out why nothing works, are having a really, really good time and being care full.

So cutting yourself. And I mean to the bone, your finger bone. Once, due to my own fault, I had been doing a skinning marathon on a cold Saturday. After 9 or 12 hours was starting to get a little tired and wanted to try and get one more coyote done be for quitting. Course this was be for I had made my skinning machine and the yote was stone cold laying on the floor. Made the leg cuts and got it hung up on the gamble and went to work on it. If anyone knows what it is like to skin a cold, stiff, stinking coyote them you will know what horrible is like. Finally got down to the head and ears but ran out of room on the gamble cable and had to hold the head and skin to get a good face skinning. I had to pull on the hide, hold the head, and be care full not to make a bad cut on the face, had the fur bunched up in my right hand and my son came in and hollered 'supper' at the top of his voice. Well with a razor sharp knife I cut through the forehead skin and in to my index finger and 'to the bone'.

After bleeding all over the hide pulling my hand out and getting in to the house to clean the cut, trying to get the bleeding to stop; which at this point my wife had taken notice that I was standing at the kitchen sink running cold water on the cut for 10 plus minutes to get the bleeding to stop; she gets up from the table and says let me see that. Well needless to say please don't take getting cut while doing your catch skinning lightly. She was bound and determined to make me go to the E.R. but I won out. I had had a tetanus shot just short of 2 years prior to this NOT so little incident. Please do not take this lightly and be care full. And yes I still have the scare.

P S: Always wash your coyote hides in a washing machine at the laundry mat not in the wife's machine at home.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Master

Also when drying seabobs or other small shrimp go to the lundry mat best time is after midnight,your wife will be much happier.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah. I got a deer this past gun season and made a 3/4 inch long slice on my thumb knuckle which happened to be an 1/8 inch from a blood vessel of some type in my thumb. Didn't know who bled more, the dead deer or me. Good thing it was not over a bit to the right. I was reaching up in the chest to cut the windpipe and felt the all too familiar pain on my hand. Not that I have ever cut myself before this.

Be careful with sharp pointy things. You don't want to end up field dressing yourself.

I have cut my self a few times But not as bad as stated. As for to wash the skin. I just use cold water and I have a sink in my celler and use that and then hang to have the fur dry.Also as for the way was stated of to skin the head. What i do is put a loop on the end of the rope. and then put the other end of the rope in it to make a slip loop and then open it to put the skin in the loop and bring it close to the body or head of the animal and have another loop at the end that I put my foot in and push down with my foot and put enough pressure to have one free hand for the knife and the other to work the skin and no problems.I use a fence strecher to hang the animal with a dog choker .It works for me and all I skin is cold dead.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

For cuts and water cracked hands use the Triple Antibiotic lotion sold at Wal-Mart under the Equate brand. It's around $3.00 per tube. I put a big glob on my hands and sleep with the cheap brown jersey gloves on. Takes all the pain away and eliminates the cracking joints in your hands. I use the same gloves for the whole season so don't need as much lotion after awhile. Works way better than Bag Balm or Corn Huskers for me. The water here has alot of tanic acid in it, due to the trees on most shores of lakes and rivers, with leaf mulch bottoms. Really tough on your hands.