WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie mistake!!!!!!!

Banned

Rookie mistake!!!!!!!

Over the last couple days I loaded about 2k 9mm for my handguns and ar15 with a new bullet I haven't used before. Left the die set set like its allways and figured id be just fine. Yesterday it dawned on me that I never tested them to see if they chambered. Come to find out they work in my ar but not my handguns. I can probably salvage them by running them all through a factory crimp die but I stare at that pile of ammo and sure hate to start running them all over again through the press to do that! Pretty stupid of me. You think after all these years id be smart enough to check them at the beginning. STUPID STUPID STUPID

Banned
    Your not the first and certainly not the last to do this. Generally I run off 30-50 before I catch an error. A few times of that wakes you up quick.

Boolit Master
    they might work anyway if you have (or had ) "Doug guy" throat your barrel.

Boolit Master

Mozeppa... You must of meant "Throat your lots of barrels"

Headlines; Man has to be surgically removed from loading press, due to severe finger cramps

Boolit Grand Master
    Been there, done that. Just not in that quantity. Grin & bear it ! Education (or refreshers) are expensive.

Boolit Master

I recently found out that the new SAR K2-45 that I bought doesn't like the seating depth on the .45ACP that I had been using for all my other .45ACP handguns. I had loaned my .45ACP dies to my nephew, so I decided to take my 7.7x58 full length sizing die and use it to just "kiss" the edge of the SWC in all the bullets that I had loaded. Thanks to a little incident of tripping over the dogs and taking a hard fall (see other thread), that kind of got sidetracked. My hand and arm are just getting better enough for me to think about finishing it. Gravity sucks...

Boolit Grand Master
    If they work in the AR just use them there. 9mm brass is so cheap that making another run that will chamber in the pistols is not a big deal...and beats fiddling with them. Nothing wrong with having more ammo!!! LOL

Don Verna

What he^^^ said.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Banned

you know if you had a Hi-Point this wouldn't have happened.

Boolit Grand Master

If it's just plinking ammo, just use it in the AR. Put it in a few 30mm cans and call it a day and lesson learned.

Otherwise, figure out WHY it won't chamber and then we can offer a work around. If it's just seating depth, well, that's a simple fix

Boolit Buddy
    Field strip the pistol, remove the barrel and use the chamber as a gauge. The rounds should drop in and be somewhat loose.

Roll some rounds on a flat surface and see if they're out of round badly.

Banned

yup that was a thought but its sure nice when you have a half a dozen 9s to just grab a coffee can of ammo and a couple guns and go shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If they work in the AR just use them there. 9mm brass is so cheap that making another run that will chamber in the pistols is not a big deal...and beats fiddling with them. Nothing wrong with having more ammo!!! LOL

Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I got a good chuckle over that. Thanks.

use the LEE CARBIDE FACTORY CRIMP die, they help take any little bulges out of the case.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

Time to slow down it seems.

Go back to basics like you just started.

Moderator Emeritus

I'll tell on myself too since we are confessing our mistakes. I once grabbed a die set off the shelf to deprime and resize some 223 brass before cleaning and did 4 or 5 cases before I stopped and took a good look and thought "Those have an awful long neck". Turns out running 223 brass through a 222 die will do that. Sometimes I does dumb stuff.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    The truth can be very funny at times.

Boolit Master

My turn to admit a mistake too. Not quite a rookie mistake, but not too far from it. I made up a large batch of mixed .300 BLK cases. Didn't check the neck wall thickness of all of the cases since they were all commercial cases. OOPS! One brand (PMP) had thicker sides. Found out when I hit the range. Jams! Pulled all of those rounds. Fortunately, There weren't very many of them (14). Had a bunch of other cases already made up, but not loaded. Pulled the bullets and primers and reloaded them into new cases. And YES, I did mic the cases BEFORE loading.

Been there done that bought the tee shirt. Last time I did was loading 6.8 SPC for a cousin. I didn't have his gun handy to check them and I don't own one and..... I ended up pulling bullets and re-reloading because they wouldn't chamber in his AR. I borrowed his rifle and fired the first 3 reworks. All good. Luckily(I guess) only 100 rounds. I feel for you. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Just loaded 400 rounds last week and forgot to check inside the cases for stainless tumbling pins. All hand weighed and trickled to 1/10. Pulled all 400 and checked. No pins. Hand weighed all again. Better be safe than sorry, but took several hours.

Like they used to say on Rowan and Martin's laugh-in "interesting, but dumb!!!!!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast