RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Cooper 57m First Impressions

Boolit Master

Cooper 57m First Impressions

I did some horse trading over the weekend and ended up with one of my dream guns: a Cooper 57m LVT in 17hmr. I have fondled a couple in my local gun shops, but this is the first time I have spent some quality time with one.

In short, I think this gun is a masterpiece! I have always considered the pre-64 model 70 to be the epitome of production line semi-custom firearms. I think Cooper has the 70's beat hands down. There is not a single flaw anywhere on the gun. The wood to metal fit is astonishing and the Cooper has hand checkering second to none. This gun has AA+ alnut, but I feel that the flame, figure and tight grain could easily be AAA+ if it were graded outside of the industry.

Accuracy:. We are in the middle of a cold snap with a bunch of snow, so I am not able to do 100 yard testing. However, I set up a target at 40 yards, and once I zeroed in the scope, I made a series of three shot groups and each group was one hole. There were no cloverleafs--there was only one hole that was a bit fuzzy on the edges. I have had a bunch of high end rifles and pistols, but the trigger on this Cooper is unbelievable. I have never felt anything that breaks so cleanly with no overtravel. I have felt nothing like it.

I am hoping to hear some other thoughts and opinions from other Cooper owners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161119_193446076.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I have a 57M left hand in 22lr. with AAA wood top off with a Shepard scope made for 22. Nice rifle that shoots as good as it looks.

Boolit Master
    Once I see how the groups open up at 100, I will see if I am getting the 22. I am hoping someone will chime in on the center-fire Cooper rifles. I think a 22-250 would be a neat rifle if it shoots anything like this 17hmr.

Boolit Master
    I also own a LVT in 17 HMR. If it doesn't shoot 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards it is my fault. Also own a Custom Classic in 22 LR and a JSR in 22 mag. Once the wife seen how good they shoot and look she wanted one as well. Her's is a 22 LR JSR. About 2 years ago picked up a 7mm/08 Classic for deer hunting but haven't used it yet.
    They make a great rifle and stand behind their product.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Have you shot the 7mm-08? If so, is the trigger similar to the lvt? I should have mentioned my 17 is the lvt model.

Boolit Master

ive owned a trp3 for quite a few years now, dang hard to beat a cooper for the money.

Boolit Master
    I have shot it. Trigger is very crisp and breaks at about 3 pounds.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Now you need a "Proper 17HMR Bore Guide"....Beautiful rifle!

17hmrboreguide.com
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy

I have a 21 in .221 Fireball and a 22 in 6MM BR. The Fireball shot sub MOA with the CB load I threw together. (Way more reload than handload)

I haven't shot the 6MM much but either are quick to tell me if I miss, it's ALL my fault.

Christmas is coming up. Treat yourself to a real present.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    well, I can put as many rounds as I would like inside an inch at 100 yards. That is good enough for the girls I go out with. If anyone is considering a Cooper for Christmas, I think you will enjoy the rifle. I am hooked. I am thinking 7mm-08 would be the ticket.

Merry Christmas all.