RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yugo M48 Sporter Stock?

Boolit Buddy

Yugo M48 Sporter Stock?

I have checked all the usual suspects and cannot find an online source for a sporter stock for my Yugo. Classic design for iron sights and a military barrel channel.

Okay, that is not entirely true. Richards Microfit has them but their rep is pretty poor on the information super highway (I do like their "safari classic" if anyone wants to vouch for their service). Boyds carried one with the military channel but Is no longer listed.

BTW it is already buggered up so I am not messing with any valuable history.

Any suggestions?

Intermediate large ring action; a pox be upon you!

Boolit Master

Look into the Archangel stock. It is designed to be able to be used in a standard and intermediate 98 action by reversing a recoil block and switching a locking collar on the front receiver screw. I have a Yugo 48 in one right now. I use it for shooting NRA Highpower Matches out to 600 yards with a new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel installed.
    http://www.archangelmanufacturing.co...a98mauserstock
    Go to Midway or Brownells to get a better price than Factory Direct.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290...round-magazine
    Yep...$50 cheaper
    Use the money saved to buy an extra mag or two.
    Last edited by bruce drake; 12-11-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    That is a very interesting option. Thanks Bruce.

Call Boydes. I bought one from them fro a 35 Whelen I built on a Yugo. You need one for and intermediate 98 large ring.

Boolit Master
    I got a Boyds fairly recently!!! I love it. There is a Richards Microfit in my friends Collection...I will get a critical look at it...soon!

Banned

I had the very first stock made for the Mid sized Yugo from Richards. It took about 6 months to get. But it was a 100% drop in fit. The outside of the stock was left oversized so you can fit it yourself. I think it was in AA fancy walnut. Been a long time. Did this one in 257 Roberts

It all depends on how much work you want to put into it. If you want a true drop fit, then get a Boyd's. Call them and ask when they are running that one again.

Boolit Master

Beautiful stock Tommeboy!

I went with utility over beauty in my purchase of the Archangel. My Yugo 48 stock was in the rough side but the barrel was immaculate and probably brand new. I put that 8x57 barrel on an Erfurt LR action I had picked up and was setting on the shelf.
    I then bought a 260 Rem barrel from brownells and had the shoulder and barrel's chamber face cut back .3" by a machinist after I messed up my original chambering into 260Rem and the barrel was then re-chambered by me to 6.5CR when I put it back on the Yugo 48 receiver. Now I can load the 140 grain bullets without pushing deep past the case neck.

Here are some more examples.

L-R Yugo 35 Whelen in a Boyds , Siamese 45-70 in a Richards, Carcano 7.62x39 in a Boyds, Jap 38 in 38-55 in a Boyds and a Mauser 93 in 35 Rem
    Singe pictures is of a Mex 98 in 22-250 in a Richards

This give you a good sample of the laminates and solids from both.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I put that 8x57 barrel on an Erfurt LR action I had picked up and was setting on the shelf.
    From an M48??
    What did you do about the "Safety Breach", and the Extractor Cutout??? Just Ignore it?
    When I put a barrel onto an M48 I do not Do that "stuff"...But, I have been hesitant about putting the M48 barrels onto other large rings!!!

Boolit Master
    I have two sporter stocks that I have not put on a rifle yet for the Mauser Mid Length action.
    One is a Pre Finished from Boyd's and the other an Unfinished from Brownells..
    I had purchased two Finished 98 Long action stocks from Boyds a few years back to build a pair of 35 whelens.
    I did not like the shape or finish of the stock, not that it was Bad, but just not to my liking for the rifles I was building.
    So I stripped one down and refinished it after reshaping it.
    I am trying to post pictures of them side by side, and let you be the judge .
    But I am not the best or have the best computer.
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-11-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    The top one is the Boyds Pre Finished.
    The bottom is the Pre Finished stock, Re Shaped and Re Finished

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    From an M48??
    What did you do about the "Safety Breach", and the Extractor Cutout??? Just Ignore it?
    On the 3 different ones I did I just thinned the extractor.

Boolit Master

I just thinned the extractor as well. Doesn't take much off the front of the extractor for it to operate.

Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input. Good stuff!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    On the 3 different ones I did I just thinned the extractor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I just thinned the extractor as well. Doesn't take much off the front of the extractor for it to operate.

Bruce
    Well...I understand that ...but, I was going to go ahead and take a cut off the face of the barrel...certainly not enough to remove all of the extractor Groove. But, I am concerned for no reason apparently..

Boolit Master

I have bought Richard's Microfit stocks before, one for a Yugo 48. I was pleased. Yugo takes work to fit as I recall as it is advertised as 95% fit. The press fit I just received for a regular 98 took minutes to fit. They do take a long time to ship. Think 6 months.

Boolit Master
    I build most of my Yugo stocks from Blanks, and find them no different to do than a standard 98 rifle to inlet shape or bed.
    I have one in the shop right now in Africian Mahogony I need to get back to.
    They are probably running them Mass Produced on a Duplicator, and have to reset up to only do a few stocks for the mid length action.

Banned

The one thing I did not like about the 48 Yugos was the nubs are not there like a 98 has and it would drop the case on extraction. The regular 98 those nubs are longer and the case is set deeper in the bolthead than the 48 series are. When you pulled the barrel on the 48 you have a sectioned ring on the face of the barrel. A 98 it is not there and that is the distance the bolthead surrounds the case head more on a 98 as the barrel face is flat.

If that makes sense?

Once you get it headspaced without the extractor, Mark the barrel with a scribe on the right side and that will be your safety cut. On the amount I am not sure.

Boolit Master
    map55b Do you miss the little extra length when loading for that Whelen, I have a 35 Whelen barrel but was holding out for a full length 98 action.
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Master
    I have thought about doing a Yugo in .35 Whelen.
    But the magazine box it too short for the bullets I load, and the stroke of the bolt is right at the minimum for the standard Whelen cartridge.
    So I built one on a Czech 98 action, and one on a 1909 Argie
    But I made one in 25-06 and it works great.
    But when I tried to take one out to a 25-06 Improved, I gained Nothing, as I could not use the longer Heavier bullets that I wanted to fire out of it, thus being the reason I went to the Improved over the standard 25-06.
    The magazine box can be lengthened as you do on the longer 98 action for 30-06.
    But you get into modifying the feed ramp to get the cartridge to be at the correct angle to feed.