Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poodle Lube

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I don't know how many times the large poodle has won the world championship in hunting. They are good.
    They're good, huh? Got any recipes you'd like to share?
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Buddy
    I just stumbled across this thread, and almost let it go until I saw my story being attributed to xxgrampa. He and I are good friends, but I couldn't let him take credit so easily. This was on the old Shooters.com Cast Bullet board. Stan

31710: Poodle Lube
    04/01/01-3:43 AM Posted by: StanDahl
    The other day as my wife’s little rat poodle was scooting its butt across the floor, (just about for the last time, I thought) my mother-in-law pointed out that it needs to have its glands squeezed. (The anal glands clog up, causing discomfort and keeping other dogs from getting the whole story when they come sniffing around.) I reluctantly held the dog while she squeezed it out, and instead of a foul smelling turd based crud, out came a tacky cheese the color and consistency of liquid alox! The smell wasn’t as bad as I had expected either, kind of musky. Nothing I’d want to wear, but not awful.

I collected a small amount of this stuff and melted it up about 1:3 with beeswax, enough to hand lube about 20 bullets. I used it on the Lee 7.65/303 (straight ww) in my 1891 Argentine Mauser at approximately 2500 fps with no leading, and it left the bore clean and shiny too. Accuracy with 40 grains of H380 wasn’t incredible, but I’m sure I’ll be able to work something up when more butt squeezings become available. Luckily my mother in law has a whole herd of the little vermin and she gives them way better food than we do. We’ll see if Eukanuba produces better poodle cheese than the Road Kill ‘n Rice we serve our little Jacques.

Some tips: Don’t wait until they scoot, you’ll lose valuable goo. Get your finger in there upstream of the gland to make sure none of it gets away. Wear face protection in case there is a sudden loosening of the blockage! Give the dog an enema if you are concerned about fecal contamination of your lube, but keep in mind that the process isn’t fun for the dog and they have sharp little needle teeth. Don't use an enema that is too warm or it will over soften the cheese - not too much water either or you might launch Fifi across the yard - see Ultramag44’s post on the cat topic a while back. Shave the dog’s backside first, but never use your own razor. Don’t cook up this lube or shoot it with other dogs nearby. By nearby, I mean within 1 mile, or you’ll have more attention than you can cope with.

I’m sure someone with more time on his hands and more curiousity will want to experiment with this new and exciting lube base and post some results. Maybe someone who works at a local dog pound can provide a steady supply? Felix should be able to analyze a sample and explain just how it works so well. Enjoy. Stan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    31711: Poodle Lube
    04/01/01-7:59 AM Posted by: dawallace45
    StanDahl, Just read your post , almost spraypainted the computer with regurgitated beer , this whole concept is a bit rough , know all about dogs and their glands , had to do it last week and not for the first time either , I am still gagging at the thought of it as I write this , Regards , David
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    31713: Poodle Lube
    04/01/01-8:37 AM Posted by: beltfed
    Yes,and APRIL FOOL TO YOU, TOO
    BELTFED

Boolit Mold
    Stan:
    Thanks for clearing up the poodle lube story.
    I didn't remember all the particulars of the poodle lube, but kind of thought it might flush out some of those guys, Yourself, xxgrandpa, and the rest that sort of got me started casting, and cost me so much buying guns.
    I still have the guns, a box of boolit molds, and enough lead to last years.
    I really enjoyed shooting back then, and enjoyed the daily postings by that bunch, and am really looking forward to getting started at it again.

MP

that story didn't sound any better the second time
    yuk
    I'll keep buyin my lube from Lars
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle joe View Post
    that story didn't sound any better the second time
    yuk
    Heh, heh, heh,,Uncle Joe said BUY LUBE,,,heh heh heh

MP

Boolit Mold
    Well, I'm going to Michigan for a visit with my sister and her bunch.
    While there I will search for the famous PETOWSKI stone.
    It is rumored that if you have one of these stones in your pocket while casting 100% of your boolits will be keepers.
    I will check with you fine folks when I return 1st week in July.

MP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle joe View Post
    Yeah, but what do he use in his lube???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12