Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 17HMR Jackets

Boolit Buddy

17HMR Jackets

17HMR case expanded with Lee 223 decapper / expander that was broke so no lose. This was the "hardest" part,anneal neck and shoulder, put rod in drill, shape end on grinder, polish end with emery cloth and steel wool.

Next use a 25ACP shell holder and put the expander rod in a Lee pistol sizing die. I used a 9mm die. You may have to lube the inside of the neck so the shoulder does not buckle.

Next derim the case as you would a 22WMR.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161211_114354.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Here are the other pictures that I thought were included.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161211_113240.jpg   20161211_113723.jpg   20161211_114558.jpg  

Boolit Master

I am doing something similar; but on my Corbin CSP1 press. I bought an additional punch for derimming 22LR jackets (Rod for 224 RFJM punch) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rfjm-rod.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.1 KB 
ID:	209619

http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=jmkits

I rounded the end (Radiused - not pointed) so that it would partially enter the mouth of the 17HMR case. This allows me to use the existing 22LR deriming die with the 17HMR cases and remove the neck and the rim. Long term it's cheaper than having to buy new blades for the Harbor Freight Cut off Saw that seem to wear out quickly, and gives one the entire length of the 17 HMR case to work with.

This does require more effort and time for each 17HMR case compared to 22LR due to the "Throw Length" of the CSP 1 Press.

Steps I use to Derim 17HMR on the Corbin CSP1.

(1) Back Derimming Die up in Press so it's bottom is even and no screw threads are visible on the top frame.
    (2) Lube 17HMR and lightly lube with fingers the punch.
    (3) Place 17HMR mouth over the rounded 224 RFJM punch, while slowly cycling the press handle, set the 17HMR rim evenly into the mouth of the derim die.
    (4) Slowly depress the press handle which will force the 224 RFJM punch into the mouth of the 17HMR case ironing out the mouth and up into the case. Fully cycle the handle.
    (5) Lift handle, 17HMR case will remain on the 224 RFJM punch; with the rim removed, but only a portion of the case sized.
    (6) Sizing the jacket from the 17HMR case takes multiple cycles to accomplish. Turn the derim die 1/2 turn (lower) in the press, then cycle the handle, another 1/2 turn cycle handle, another 1/2 turn cycle handle, etc...

The 17HMR case will be slowly sized into a jacket with each 1/2 turn; with the first 4 to 6 turns it will pull out of the derim die and remain on the punch. Somewhere on the 4th to 6th turn it will remain in the derim die. Keep turning the die 1/2 turn until the entire case goes into the rim. For my operation, I have to use a short 1.1 inch by 0.190 diameter pin inserted into the 17HMR/Jacket mouth, then cycle the 224 RFJM punch in order to do the final push through of the jacket and out the top.

I loose maybe 1% to 2% due to 17HMR case head separation in this process. I get consistent jacket wall thickness. 17HMR cases are thicker than 22LR cases so there is a slight swaging/extrusion of the jacket walls in this process.

To trim my jackets to desired length, I use a Jacket Trimmer similar to the Corbin product: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	et-2-s.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	209628

Mine was made by one of our members on this Forum and fits my RCBS Rock Chucker, not my Corbin CSP1 press.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-17-2017 at 12:36 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Next hurdle is the 17WSM for .264 bullets. All I need for that is a derim die.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    Next hurdle is the 17WSM for .264 bullets. All I need for that is a derim die.
    I believe you may need more than just a derim die. I think you may have to expand the sides of the 17HMR brass in order to achieve your overall .264 bullet diameter in addition to reducing the rim/base:

Bullet diameter: 172 in (4.4 mm)
    Rim diameter: 286 in (7.3 mm)
    Neck diameter: 190 in (4.8 mm)
    Shoulder diameter: 238 in (6.0 mm)
    Base diameter: 238 in (6.0 mm)
    Case length: 1.058 in (26.9 mm)
    Parent case: .22 WMR

The .22 WMR will be closer to your goal in it's "As Is" dimensions; but will also require expanding the sides and reducing the Rim:

Case length: 0′ 1″
    Rifling twist: 1-16"
    Bullet diameter: 224 in (5.7 mm)
    Rim diameter: 294 in (7.5 mm)
    Base diameter: 242 in (6.1 mm)
    Neck diameter: 242 in (6.1 mm)
    Parent case: .22 WRF

I believe that a 22LR brass thickness is 0.010" and the 22WMR Brass Thickness is 0.016".

So, I believe that a punch would have to be ~ 0.264 - (2*0.016) or saying again ~ 0.264 - 0.032 = 0.232"
    So a punch diameter of about 0.230" to 0.232" will be needed to expand the 22WMR side walls out to form .264 jackets. Since the 17HMR parent case is a 22WMR; I would think brass thickness would be the same, so the diameter of a punch for 17HMR brass being made into .264 jackets should also be in the range of 0.230" to 0.232" also.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-18-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    The 17 wsm has a .333" rim and about a .270" body even after firing. I don't think it has any relationship to other cartridges.

Boolit Master

Oooops; my mistake.

My thoughts for post #6 stayed on the 17HMR originally discussed and I did not catch the "Other" 17 as what you were going to use as a donor for jackets. I've managed to gather a couple hundred of the 17WSM over the last couple of years, and was thinking of using them as jackets some day in the future. Have not moved that direction yet. Keep us posted on your 17WSM efforts (I had thought of that case as a donor for .30 Jackets).

I've often wondered if I should start roaming "Construction Sites" looking for brass (17WSM) ; for those reading this thread - the 17WSM is based off of the .27 caliber nail gunblank used in construction and the brass is about twice the thickness of the 17HMR brass.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-18-2017 at 03:36 PM.
    Mustang

Boolit Buddy
    The blanks for 27 cal power nailers are shorter to start with and then the crimped end is mangled so that is a non starter from the samples I've seen.