WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Favorite neck turning stuff

Boolit Master

Favorite neck turning stuff

I need to turn the necks on reformed brass and have no experience with any of this equipment. What is your best and accurate way to turn case necks?

Boolit Master
    I use Sinclair equipment and not their most expensive setup, works very well, a tube mic. would help.

Boolit Buddy
    Its gonna be a Ford v Chevy thing. I love my K&M tools. There are lots to choose from...some cheaper and some more expensive. http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...-cutting-tips/ This is a great site with equip. reviews, free targets and a plethora of info
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Master
    Just for clarity, I'm not talking about a pretty girl walking by..

Boolit Master

I use Forster inside neck reamers to thin necks.
    Yes, NOT outside neck reaming but is good for my needs and fast
    http://www.forsterproducts.com/produ...-neck-reamers/
    And yes, I will ream before firing if I know the necks are too thick as in forming brass down.

Like making 257 Roberts out of 30-06 brass, I will form, in steps, first an 8mm Mauser trim die, and whack off what sticks up with a jewels hacksaw, then 7 Mauser, then 257. Then inside neck ream and final trim with Forster trimmer and reamer. Inside and outside chamfer. Final full length size and load.
    Mike

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 12-11-2016 at 05:07 AM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I turn necks with several different tools.
    The simplest is the Marquart style tool. I have several shop made Marquart copies made by a professional tool maker. They are set for roughing and finishing for a 6X47 Rem bench rest rifle and I never change those tools.

For larger calibers I have a tool made by Ferris Pindell that takes a large 3/8" shank pilot and has a blade about 1/2" wide so it works well if I need to turn a large caliber. This was cheap gun show find.

I have several neck turning heads for the Forster case trimmer. I like this tool for mowing the brass off of a lot of cases that need chamber clearance but does not demand top accuracy.
    I can drive the cutter with a powder drill for faster results.

I would have to say that a hand held tool like the Marquart or K&M would be the best method. But you need to expand the case necks to be a perfect fit on the pilot. K&M supply the best expanders and pilots that I have used. You also need to practice on 25 or so junk cases and have a good tubing or ball anvil mike to check your work. Anyone can do it but it does require some practice and it is better to practice on expendable brass these days.

There are 2 reasons to turn. One is to insure safety by having a bit of clearance between the case neck and chamber neck.
    The other is to produce a case neck that is perfectly uniform which puts the bullet on axis in the center of the bore when fired. You normally make this case a very close fit to the chamber so that the chamber neck guides the case which guides the bullet until the bullet in completely in the bore.

I would say any of these better tools will work well if you use the right combination of pilot and expander. There are some nuances about matching the cutter lead angle to the shoulder angle of the case. I work on that by hand grinding my cutters. The Forster tool is fixed in shape. It can only be adjusted in and out.

You should also ask this question at the Accurate Shooters Reloading forum or do a search for neck turning there. The do a lot more neck turning than I do and there are a lot of them. I think the general consensus over there is the Orange pumpkin tool and the K&M.

Check out that site and the article by German Salazar. He is a world class bench rest shooter. One of the very best from what I hear.
    You do not have to buy all the equipment that he has or have as elegant a process. You can do very well with just a few items. Set the cutter depth right and have a good fit on the pilot.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...urning-basics/
    Last edited by EDG; 12-11-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    EDG

Another K&M fan here. If you can swing it, get the inside reamer instead of the non-cutting guide. It's well worth the money. You outside turn and inside ream at the same time.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Thank you to all that responded. I see that I have a lot to learn.

Boolit Grand Master

I use Sinclair tools and they have worked well. I have a PMA tool that I have not used yet but I expect it to work fine. Google Varmint Al, he has an interesting web site and has a chapter on neck turning. So does AccurateShooter, formerly 6MM BR.

Boolit Grand Master

Alot depends on how much brass you have to neck turn and the tools available to you. Alot of brass and the drill press set ups or power trimmers become handy quick. I have used K-m, Sinclairs and a forester drill press bass with custom made tool heads in a drill press. I dont like to recomend tools as much as describe what to look for. Look for easy adjustments, .001 adjustment to the cutter is .002 on the neck dia so your literally talking ,0001 adjustments. 2) a readily available cutter if possible, I made my neck turners to use 1/4" HSS cobalt lathe bits . 3) a comfortable burr free grip surface on hand turners, Its amazing how fast a sharp edge, burr or corner gets uncomfortable in the hand. 4) On the lathe type turners a quick easy to use collet and accurate stops. Not only on the cutter but also on the collets clamping. Varying rim dias cause the collet to et at diffrent lengths when tightened. 5) I like a turner that allows neck pilots that can be used to final expand the case necks also. this gives a near perfect fit for turning on the pilot. SInclairs and some KMs are like this.

I have a 21st Century, and like it. I like the expanding arbors from PMA.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    I had a several Forster neck turners and sold them. I now have a 21st Century and it is the way to go as far as I am concerned, just attach a small cordless drill.

Boolit Master

K&M fan here as well.