WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Le!d pot for annealing

Boolit Grand Master

A easy way is to get a big coffee can and punch a bunch of 1/4" holes in the bottom. Build a charcoal fire about 4" deep wrap the cases in a layer of aluminum foil and cover with more charcoal, and let burn out and cool over night. Pull the aluminum foil package out and your done. For larger amounts of brass a metal bucket can be used. Set it up on a concrete block to help with airflow and to protect where its setting from heat. A blower could be used for more heat but will burn thru the foil and may melt brass if to much

Yep, this is the correct answer. I have been making a bunch of 458 lately using 45acp brass. I don't even bother annealing the brass. Pushing it through the reducer die does require more torque and would buckle horribly if I was making a hollow point, but when making soft points, the lead behind the jacket makes buckling all but impossible.

For 458, I have settled on 405 grains if using brass, and 325 grains if using aluminum (CCI Blazer). I also will use a wheel-weight cast bullet (9mm / 38cal, 150 grains) on top of a piece of lead wire. I have found that for the larger/longer bullets, the ejector will dig into soft lead. Having a cap of hard alloy prevents this. It takes longer to assemble a total mass of 325 or 405, but I'm in no hurry...

Quote Originally Posted by uncle dino View Post
    Rubinschmidt...welcome...to prevent buckling either add lead so it is closer to the mouth of the jacket, or use a hollow point punch when you core seat as another method to bring lead up closer. The soft jacket needs support behind it to keep it from buckling. ..d

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12