Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Any 32-20 pistol loaders out there?

Boolit Mold

Any 32-20 pistol loaders out there?

Hi everyone. Fairly new to metallic reloading. Picked up a Colt army special in 32-20. Real confused, which is normal. Can't seem to find boolits that are the same gr. & shape listed on the Hogdson website. Would like to use RN 115gr. or 90 gr. and Trailboss powder. Does anyone have some recipes?
    ......having trouble finding the boolits
    ......also, does Hornady XT load like a regular jacketed boolit?
    Thanks for the help!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandmancwc View Post
    Hi everyone. Fairly new to metallic reloading. Picked up a Colt army special in 32-20. Real confused, which is normal. Can't seem to find boolits that are the same gr. & shape listed on the Hogdson website. Would like to use RN 115gr. or 90 gr. and Trailboss powder. Does anyone have some recipes?
    ......having trouble finding the boolits
    ......also, does Hornady XT load like a regular jacketed boolit?
    Thanks for the help!
    I found the loads below at this link, I have not tested them, you are on your own. I don't use Trial Boss in my 32-20. I use Red Dot.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oads-for-32-20

Here's IMR's data....
    32-20 WINCHESTER
    Case: Remington Twist: 1:20"
    Barrel: 5.5" Trim: 1.305" Primer: Winchester SP

Bullet: 90 GR. LRNFP Dia. .314" COL: 1.490"
    Trail Boss 2.5 785 11,400 CUP 2.8 830 13,900 CUP

Bullet: 115 GR. LRNFP Dia. .314" COL: 1.580"
    Trail Boss 2.2 642 11,300 CUP 2.5 707 15,300 CUP
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Longtime 32/20 WCF reloader, primarily in revolvers.

One of the best and most comprehensive sourcepoints for 32/20 revolver data can be found via Wolfe Publications' edition of "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters. This BIG book is a compendium of articles by Mr. Waters that were published in the Wolfe magazines over the years. Germane to your thread, Mr. Waters wrote an article in "Handloader" during the 1980s dealing with loads for the 32/20 handguns.

Among my 3 revolvers chambered in 32/20 WCF is a Colt Army Special x 5". The 32/20 revolver makes you glad to be a bullet caster, because reliable sourcing of appropriately weighted and sized commercial bullets to service the caliber can be a little tough. My guns MUCH prefer 115-120 grain bullets, while my 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum prefer the 95-100 grain weight-class. Check your throat diameters and barrel groove diameters, because they can and do vary from the supposed "standard" of .310".

Brass comes in 2 makes--1) Starline and 2) Dreck. R-P and W-W brass will tweak and bend and ruin themselves if stared at intently. SL brass is much better stuff--trust me on this. Go Starline.

I have Trail Boss powder, but haven't used it in the 32/20 revolver. Mr. Waters' Pet Load (115 grain flatnose, 6.0 grains of SR-4756 powder, and small pistol primer) is going the way of 8-track tape decks since IMR discontinued SR-4756 about a year ago. I will be working with Unique and Herco to take the place of the IMR fuel, once the 3-4 pounds I have on hand get exhausted. Serial cuss words to IMR for this nonsense move.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

My favorite plinking load for my S&W Hand Ejector is the 115 grain plain base boolit over 4 grains of Unique. 4.5 grains of Unique pushes the velocity up to 945 fps for a small game load and also works well in a carbine or rifle.

Any small pistol primer works, although I tend to opt for the Remington 1 1/2. I use a heavy crimp on my loads as that seems to keep the ballistic uniformity in check.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Mold
    9.3x62AL, thanks for the reply. On another subject, I have not seen any reloading dies for 32 S&W short. Do you use the S&W long dies?

Boolit Mold
    Scharfschuteze, is the boolit just a plain round nosed lead one? Where do you get your supply? Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I like Missouri Bullet Companys offerings. http://missouribullet.com/results.ph...6&secondary=35

Boolit Master

I like the Lyman 311008 (plain-base 115 gr. RNFP) with 4.0 gr. of AA#5. Kind of a 'soft' load but sufficiently accurate for plastic pop bottles at 25 yards. This same boolit, with a considerably stiffer charge, will produce near MOA at 100 yds from my Cimarron Low Wall.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

32/20 Boolits

Scharfschuteze, is the boolit just a plain round nosed lead one? Where do you get your supply? Thanks!
    Lyman 311008 (plain-base 115 gr. RNFP)
    That one is always a good choice. I currently have the NOE 115 grain gas check gang mould that produces very good RNFP boolits. I opted for the gas check design for my Marlin rifle. The GC is not needed for mild loads for older handguns.

I also often use the Oregon Train 115 grain .312 32/20 boolit in both the 32/20 and the 32 S&W Long. It is accurate and I usually pick up a couple of thousand whenever I drive through Baker City, Oregon at their shop.

Here's my 32/20 Hand Ejector (3d Model). I still have the original grips, but the modified target grips make shooting it much more enjoyable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W 32-20 1-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Mold
    Where did you get those grips? I want a set.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Band Man--

I don't fire or reload the 32 S&W (Short). If tasked to do so, the 32 S&W Long die set might work OK, though a roll crimp would be tough to apply unless the seater/crimper die got shortened. I would use the size die to set a taper crimp on the finished loads, after pulling the decapper unit out, by "kissing" case mouth with the sizer die cavity's bottom end.

The grips in the photo above appear to be K-frame S&W Target grips, which were OEM stuff on the old Models 19 and 66 in 357 Magnum. They were at one time available from S&W, check Brownell's now for out-of-print S&W parts. For your Army Special, Pachmayr makes aftermarket neoprene grip sets for the I-frame Colts. Basically, if a grip set will fit a Colt Python, it will also fit your Army Special. I use Pachmayr Grippers on my Army Special. I believe Hogue also makes aftermarket grip sets for the Colt I-frames, both neoprene and wood. I am a huge fan of neoprene revolver grips, after having them help me retain a sidearm while on duty many years ago.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Where did you get those grips? I want a set.....
    I made them from a set of S&W target grips as 9.3X63AL notes above. When I was one of the firearms training officers for my department, I made them for several officers in both the K Frame and N Frame sizes.

At one time, guys threw them away after buying Pachmyer or other after market grips. They bring a pretty penny at gun shows now.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using the RCBS 32-90 CM with Unique.

Boolit Master
    I load both the 311008 and the Lee 90 grain TC for my .32-20 Hand Ejector. My powders of choice are Herco, NM-04 (PB clone) and 2400.

I load .32 S&W using Lee .32 ACP dies. .32 long seat die won't allow you to crimp unless you lathe grind the length to .32 S&W specs. I load a 78 gr LRN .313 BHN 10 over 1.5 gr Trail boss @ 650 fps, amazing grouping with a S&W 3.5" New Departure (with a VERY steady hand). Good luck, tell us how you make out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandmancwc View Post
    9.3x62AL, thanks for the reply. On another subject, I have not seen any reloading dies for 32 S&W short. Do you use the S&W long dies?