WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Model 96 Swedish Mauser Accident

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if the bolt was matching? If a mismatch, excessive headspace and uneven lug bearing could exacerbate the condition giving rise to the kaboom. The one sheared bolt lug could be an indicator. Lots of good theories presented. I agree that pilot error is the root cause, coupled with a number of other factors all contributing to the "cascade effect" causing the destruction of the rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

SEE they do exist!
    Charter Member #148

There indeed is such a things as Secondary Explosive Effect (SEE) and has been known by artillery men for generations. In discussions like these, it is always advanced as a potential cause. I seriously doubt that the stated charge of 2400 would produce a SEE in the rifle in question.

From the pics, it is obvious that a very high pressure load did the deed. The most common cause for loads of this pressure is reloading error, such as double charging to much fast burning powder. Unless some lab can examine the remains and come up with a different cause, I will take the most likely (by far) cause.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if the round before the Ka-BOOM felt any different than the others. I'm thinking of a squib load sticking a projectile in the barrel (very close to the throat), followed by a round with a single or double charge of powder. I guess it COULD be metallurgical failure, but that seems the least likely of the 3 possibilities to me.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Banned

All 4 rounds were supposedly on the target. According to the OP

Boolit Master

I think I'd say that too, if i just blew up a gun and didn't want to look at fault.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I think I'd say that too, if i just blew up a gun and didn't want to look at fault.

Banned

Smile

Well, this has been beaten to death. Obvious many of the posters didn't bother to read the original explanation of what happened. Now that everyone has demonstrated their expertise' can we move on ? Swedes are not blowing up left and right anymore than single heat treated 03's and Krags. Meanwhile, I'll keep loading my Mauser Werke built 96 with magnum primers, H1000 and 160 gr Hornady RNSPs as, it works very well for me (As have the many, many 94s, 96s, 96/38s and 38s I have owned from when they were sold at Sears out of a barrel at $35.00 each.) This one was given to the Danes (note Krone coin in the stock) by Sweden to "eliminate" Nazis. I added the mount, and an old Schmidt & Bender picket post 6X . Even with a code 2 bore, it will hold 5 in 1.5" @ 100.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 Antelope.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	182572
    Last edited by Mr Humble; 12-12-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looking at your antelope makes me hungry! Last one I got was 20 years ago. A very rare California tag. Anyway, I'd like to see/learn more about the Swede's stock disks and other markings. As far as a double charge, it's on the operator. There are techniques that are foolproof IF applied correctly. One simple method is using a witness type rod or such that protrudes out the neck with a mark on it. All methods require perfect diligence or else luck becomes a factor.

Boolit Master
    Glad the shooter wasn't hurt worse.

Looks like a double, any pics of the case?

As per Dutchman's statement I've a 96/38 with a bore in #3 condition marked as such on the stock disc.

A lot of good precautions here on loading, be careful and stay safe. 30cf.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    last time i saw a gun blow like that the old boy filled case with bullseye. the metal looks grainy in picture but swedes are not prone to blow.

Boolit Mold
    best explanation about the impossibility to fix stupid I've ever read

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humble View Post
    As for the shotgun example: it a'int a rifle, the 6.5 didn't have a blocked bore, the distance that "pressure wave" traveled is so much farther than the length of a 6.5x55 case, it's not even in the same universe.
    So I am led to believe. I said in post 39 that the rifle has higher pressures and are much more robust, and although we don't know how far any pressure wave might have travelled in the accident under consideration here, a frequent interpretation of the pressure wave theory is that a partially ignited load sets up a pressure wave which strikes an obstruction we all have, namely the bullet at the far end of the case. That is a very short distance, and I think there is very little likelihood of a partially ignited 18gr. of easily-ignited 2400 doing damage by it.

I think it was most likely a loading error. I don't even think "secondary explosion" is the right term, for I believe there is only one ignition. That gets us back into the realms of the conjectural and unprovable. But an effect is known which makes your rejection far too categorical. People who get themselves into that situation very often end up going off to do something.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I wonder if the round before the Ka-BOOM felt any different than the others. I'm thinking of a squib load sticking a projectile in the barrel (very close to the throat), followed by a round with a single or double charge of powder. I guess it COULD be metallurgical failure, but that seems the least likely of the 3 possibilities to me.
    I think a double charge is the most likely explanation, following three entirely normal rounds. But there is another possibility. If there was a squib load and the shooter didn't notice, the explosion didn't take away the inertia of bullet number four. If the lodged bullet was well down the bore, it is possible that two bullets pierced the target on the fourth shot.

Boolit Master
    People have been blowing up Swedes for decades.

Name:	6_5X5501vi-1.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	182586

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humble View Post
    Well, this has been beaten to death. Obvious many of the posters didn't bother to read the original explanation of what happened. Now that everyone has demonstrated their expertise' can we move on ? Swedes are not blowing up left and right anymore than single heat treated 03's and Krags. Meanwhile, I'll keep loading my Mauser Werke built 96 with magnum primers, H1000 and 160 gr Hornady RNSPs as, it works very well for me (As have the many, many 94s, 96s, 96/38s and 38s I have owned from when they were sold at Sears out of a barrel at $35.00 each.) This one was given to the Danes (note Krone coin in the stock) by Sweden to "eliminate" Nazis. I added the mount, and an old Schmidt & Bender picket post 6X . Even with a code 2 bore, it will hold 5 in 1.5" @ 100.
    Last edited by EDG; 12-12-2016 at 04:03 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    People have been blowing up Swedes for decades.

Pretty much like they have been doing with rifles.

Banned
    EDG sure has a lot of pictures THAT HE DIDN'T TAKE of blown up rifles. They are all shown with NO context, explanation, dates, witnesses etc. So other than boring those of us who actually own and shoot Swedes. low # 03s' and other rifles he can show pics of but doesn't own (His shorts would really get twisted over my 280 Ross!), I can only suppose it's about post count and being considered an "expert".

Here's another "blown up" 03' Springfield ..... must be due to improper heat treating ..... UH NO, it's a faux 03A4 not an "unsafe" low # gun. Now how could that happen ? Perhaps as with the poor Swede 96' it was the nut behind the bolt rather than some mysterious happening that P.O. spent years trying to replicate w/o success and no recognized lab can produce.

Name:	photo-0003.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	182607

Boolit Master
    Either the powder hung up in the measure and then dropped an over charge or he double charged it. Third possibility, if he was weighing the charges on a scale, he could have bumped a scale weight. It was an extremely overloaded case. I always use a loading block and visually check to make sure everybody looks even. If he had other powder on hand and there was some bullseye left in the measure, maybe. 18 grains of bullseye would maybe do that kind of damage.

Banned

Mr Humble did you read the article I posted from Handloader Mag? I agree the cause is from the person pulling the trigger. BUT, it has been proven that this condition happens. Just more so in a Swede because of how they are built. Any gun can do this. Even yours. The conditions just have to be right for it to happen.

Banned

Well I have an email into HP White. I will see if they get back to me

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast