RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Model 96 Swedish Mauser Accident

Boolit Grand Master

Hamish

"Earlier in this thread, Larry Gibson posted wanting a rifle sent to him to be destroyed, and if I'm not mistaken, at least twice.

I stand by my earlier statement.

Exhorting a member to surrender a firearm for destruction and then making fun of that member for not doing so, in lieu of actually posting evidence to support their position is low class
    . "

I did not "exhort" nor did I make fun of Mr Humble.

What I actually said in post #125 of this thread is this;

"I have offered Mr. Humble the opportunity to obtain actual test produced facts whether S.E.E. is real or not and can be readily produced or not. Apparently Mr. Humble has decided not to participate to find a definitive answer through an actual test with a 6.5 Swede rifle. I will provide the test equipment, the time and the effort. Mr.Humble need only provide the test M96 6.5 Swede Mauser. I run the risk of damaging $6,000 to $7,000 worth of test equipment while Mr. Humble runs the risk of damaging his M96 if an S.E.E. is produced. If a S.E.E. is not produced then no harm or foul to either the test equipment or the M96 will occur. It is only I that would lose my time and effort. As the undamaged M96 will be returned to him and I will reimburse his shipping and related costs and return the M96.

I also invite Mr. Humble or anyone else to observe the test."

I also did not use "low brow intimidation tactics". Mr Humble does not think S.E.E. exists and is emphatic in his stating so. The fact is it does exist and can be readily reproduced both inside a laboratory and outside a laboratory. I offered Mr Humble an opportunity to prove it doesn't exist. If he so strongly believes it doesn't exist then what risk is he taking?

Hamish, you state; "I'd like to see some actual scientific evidence posted that proves the existence of the problem". I have the equipment to measure the internal ballistics before and up to an S.E.E. event. That is all well and fine but if we create an S.E.E event we must also understand that the firearm will be damaged.....probably catastrophically. Now I already know S.E.E. events are real as I have been directly involved in two events, have seen the results of several others and have produced the same pressure indicators Measured with an Oehler M43) that lead to an S.E.E. on several occasions. While I am willing to participate in creating an S.E.E. event I see no reason I need to destroy my own firearm to prove anything to Mr Humble or you for that matter. Bottom line here is that you must understand if want to "see some actual scientific evidence posted that proves the existence of the problem" that a firearm will be destroyed.

Fact is The Handloader article does post evidence (test results) that were conducted scientifically in an ammunition manufacturers test facility. That lot of 6.5 Swede ammunition used in that test was loaded with a non canister lot of 7828 and was recalled....another fact Mr Humble seems unaware of. Since I can also control the parameters of the ammunition and measure the internal and external ballistics during such a test what other "scientific evidence" would be required?

Now let me further add that if the internal and external ballistics indicate an S.E.E. is immanent I can stop the testing just as the technicians did in the Handloader article before the S.E.E. event occurs. Thus the M96 would not be damaged and I would return it. Would you and Mr Humble then agree to that evidence of an S.E.E. event existence? So you see the rifle does not need be destroyed unless you require proof positive of the events existence. My purpose to this is to simply provide Mr Humble and you the requested scientific testing/evidence to prove the existence of S.E.E. events.

Larry Gibson

As a post script let reiterate my earlier statement in my 1st post in this thread that I believe the topic 6.5 Swede rifle of this thread was destructed probably do to a double charge of powder. There is no indication it was a S.E.E. event nor any other of the theoretical causes.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-17-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eb53855bd188da7b81380759b31582a7.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	185495
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    Amusing. I have bought a rifle to blow up following instructions from Mr. Gibson.

He has declined to provide such data.

Tomme boy also claims to have an inside track to the SEE secrets but, he too is silent on providing instructions.

I'll be waiting....... take care!

Boolit Master
    Ignoring the fact that an SEE could result in certain situations is bad enough, but to try to convince others that there is no reason to avoid making the same mistakes that have led to SEE in the past is playing fast and loose with the lives of others.
    Better that any error be on the side of safety. Nothing is lost by following established rules on the use of lesser powder charges and choosing powders known by the manufacturers after extensive testing to be safe for use in reduced powder charges.

Some like to promote myths. Myths like Cordite can not degrade in high temperatures releasing liquid nitroglycerin or explode when exposed to fire. Myths like degraded milsurp ammunition with a high percentage of hangfires are not dangerous, proven spectacularly untrue when a hangfire cartridge is ejected and ignites while half way out of the chamber and the bolt handle rips the shooter's thumb off.
    Myths like "Black powder can not be ignited by static electricity", based on someone experimenting with static sparks generated by scooting their flip flops across a carpet. Lightening is also static electricity, and I've seen it set fire to a soaking wet tree.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    It's not ALL about you Larry,,,,,,,and didn't say it was.

"Send me a rifle and I will return the results."-EDG

If this is easily reproduced, why is no one producing published data* to support it?

* (From an actual Powder manufacturer, scientific laboratory, etc.,)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post

If this is easily reproduced, why is no one producing published data* to support it?

* (From an actual Powder manufacturer, scientific laboratory, etc.,)

I asked that two pages ago.

In this heyday if frivolous and lucrative lawsuits, one would think any and all the published load data producers would add a warning/commentary on the subject if there were any scientific evidence for it. If professional ballisticians with the financial backing, high quality 'real' equipment, laboratories, and superior education on the matter don't see fit to call attention to it then it probably doesn't bear any significance. I would certainly trust a Speer, Hodgdon or Accurate manual over the key thumpings of interweb experts, and yet, I have yet to read about it in any of the dozen or so manuals I have.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humble View Post
    Hamish, you are of course in the X ring. Tomme boy (irony eh ?) is trying to incite drama to no avail. He claims to have an inside source at Hodgen but won't share the secret with us. Probably best to ignore him to avoid justifying his existance.

I bought the new rifle to blow it up IF the SEE believers can provide me corraborated data on how they observed it done. "The world waits."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humble View Post
    Amusing. I have bought a rifle to blow up following instructions from Mr. Gibson.

He has declined to provide such data.

Tomme boy also claims to have an inside track to the SEE secrets but, he too is silent on providing instructions.

I'll be waiting....... take care!
    Did you buy one chambered in 6.5
    Swede with a military-type chamber? Seems like that is the chambered rifle in question and the blowup of such rifles the reason for this debate. Seems like anything else might not be as easy to reproduce a SEE and any lack of results could/would be attributed to you not testing a similarly chambered rifle as the one destroyed in the OP.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 01-17-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eb53855bd188da7b81380759b31582a7.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	185495
    this has to be the most meaningful post in this thread in quite a while.

Banned

calm down.....

Banned

I had a lengthy discussion with Hodgdon about this. I gave you a telephone # and extension # to Mike Daley if you are too ignorant to call them then YOU are the problem. Mike told me that they can make it happen 1 in six times that they try it. They have proven it over and over again. And the 243 win was the worst culprit of all cartridges they have tested.

And they don't believe in a SEE as that pertains to cannons. What they call it is a high pressure excursion. For the slow folk that don't believe in this it is just another name that they use. What happens over and over again is the bullet gets shoved out by the primer. It stops, then the powder now starts to burn. But the space was increased by the bullet not in the case anymore. Now the powder has a lot of room to expand. But the bullet is now an obstruction. So the powder starts to burn at an very accelerated pace because of the stopped bullet. The powder does burn not explode! It burns at a very accelerated speed because of the stoppage.

But if you would just call Hodgdon they could tell you a little better. But you will not because you have to be right about everything. No wonder you have been banned from at least 4 other boards. I wonder if you are actually someone else here that has been banned.

Maybe someone should check his IP address I bet it will come up as Starmetal or one of the other people that are banned here and elsewhere.

Boolit Master

Very interesting information. Most of the SEE stuff has been a bit over my head so I don't have anything to add to that discussion such as it is, but every time I hear a story like this about a gun blowing up, it reminds me to be even a little more careful and focused when reloading.

I do use a loading block, but only in conjunction with my own little system of checking each and every charged case with a bright flashlight to ensure they are all at the same level, at least twice. I am confident that I would never miss a double charge. I might even be overly particular when it comes to this, but then again I've never blown anything up either.

The other result of reading this thread has been the addition of one particularly snarky, rude, and condescending individual to my very short ignore list. It's sad that some people have to be that way. It kind of spoils the whole thread.

Boolit Master

"It burns at a very accelerated speed because of the stoppage."

Your saying that you were told that the bullet stopping in the causes the powder to burn at a higher rate. Because the bullet stopped in the barrel, it makes the powder burn faster.

Hearsay reporting of a conversation is all well and good, but are you really sure that he actually said that?

At this point I seriously doubt that any sort of real, verifiable, substantive evidence of the phenomenon will be posted, there doesn't seem to be any, other than speculation and heresay, seemingly codified into a facsimile of reality through repetition.

Personally, having been through flashover situations, both in training and in live house fires, I can see how combustible byproduct of incomplete ignition of the powder charge might load up and then ignite, causing the type of "pressure excursion" referred to. But until someone can point to a published, acknowledged source, S.E.E. appears to me to be a moot point.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Mike told me that they can make it happen 1 in six times that they try it
    So you consider 16.66% in the affirmative conclusive?

Good lord I hope you aren't a Doctor...........
    You can read all the stuff online, in the magazines and in books and buy into the hypothesis but if you don't actually load up and test them then you know nothing until you do.

Banned

Why don't you guys just call Hodgdon?? By not calling them you are the problem. I gave you a 3 and a person to call. Talk to the people that say they can reproduce it. Don't take my word for it call them and see what they say.

You guys have been presented with proof more than one time but you are so ignorant that you can not accept something that has been proven over and over. I'm done with this. You guys wanted proof, well call the #

Boolit Master

Going to say it one more time in the hope that it might sink in.

Hearsay reporting by one gentleman, over the phone, is NOT "proof".

tomme boy, all the name calling and ridiculing in the world is not going to make it so.

Boolit Master

Good grief.. 2 posters have just ruined this thread ... 2 tablespoons of fuel oil in a 2000 gallon water tank...

Boolit Master
    Is it possible that there was a barrel obstruction? Maybe the previous load didn't clear the throat?? And that is why there was no barrel bulge. I know the shooter says he didn't notice anything unusual, but maybe he wasn't totally focused on the shooting.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    So you consider 16.66% in the affirmative conclusive?

Good lord I hope you aren't a Doctor...........
    do you like those odds? I hope you do not play Russian roulette

Banned
    Hamish, stop wasting your time. IF there were such a person at Hodgdon and IF he had said anything about SEE, there is no reason why it could not be reproduced here. Tomme boy is just stirring the pot, he has no facts. As for my not buying a 6.5 caliber rifle, that's another false flag. IF SEE exists, it is not limited to 6.5 cartridges. In fact most "reports" concern large magnum cartridges using light loads of slow burning powders.

The members who believe that SEE exists have now had plenty of time to provide the data requested. They have not.

As you noted NO powder/bullet/primer/gun maker has ever come up with any warnings about SEE. Given the number of hungry lawyers out there, if it existed, they would have. All one need do is look at the litigation industry that has grown up around the Remington transfer bar trigger.

So bottom line, I have a nice 30-06 truck gun for $250 that will escape destruction. UNLESS and IF the data is provided.

Absent that, I suggest the Mods lock the thread before it results in "argumentum ad hominum".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    do you like those odds? I hope you do not play Russian roulette
    Exactly.
    You can read all the stuff online, in the magazines and in books and buy into the hypothesis but if you don't actually load up and test them then you know nothing until you do.