Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 94 AE & scope?

Boolit Buddy

94 AE & scope?

I'm hunting with my Winchester 94 angle eject in 30.30. I have a Skinner peep sight on it but my eyes are starting to go downhill. Has anyone shot a 94 AE with a scope on it? Does it eject the brass without any problems? Any comments from those that have shot an AE with a scope mounted? I really like hunting with my 30-30 and a 165gr NOE boolit but I'm thinking about a scope to help me see a little better.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Banned

the AE rifles were developed just for scope mounting.
    instead of flicking the round straight up, it kicks it out at a 45* or so angle.
    you can easily tell them by the little angles ground at the front of the frame, that is a clearance window for the round to come out.

Boolit Master
    Yep, the AE is perfect for a scope. I'm also a fan of the Leupold M8 (2.5x IER) on an XS scout mount for a lever action.

Perma-Banned

That rifle works great with a scope...

This is my woods gun...94AE 30/30 Trapper...don't laugh at the big scope...it works great in the thick woods that I hunt a lot...that 40mm Leupold works very will during the times that I see most of my deer...early and late. This rifle/scope combo has worked great for a couple of decades.

I have Williams receiver sights on my other AE's and older, top ejects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161030_180039014.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	182456
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 12-11-2016 at 12:15 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Hey Pac,
    I know what your saying, but you have to do what works for you. I had a torn retina in 2013 in my left eye and had to retrain my eyes and adapt to what works for me. I have scoped a couple of rifles that were not and have improved greatly my ability to hit what I'm shooting at. By the way Shootin Lead very nice setup. Good luck,
    Joe
    "That's bold talk for a one eyed fat man" Lucky Ned Pepper

Banned
    Yes that will work out fine for you I put an old redfield 4x on my src and it shoots just fine.

Pac, before you take off the Skinner sights, try shooting while wearing a set of weak reading glasses. You may like it!

Boolit Master
    Scopes work better for most rifle shooting on all rifles, finding holes through brush and timber, adding a few minutes of usable hunting light early and late, shooting smaller groups. I've found 3x is low enough for even 20 foot shots. 2-7x 32 at the low end, 3-9x40 at the high end, lots of stuff in-between, buy the best you can manage/afford and enjoy your improved capabilities. You do lose the hand wrap-around/suitcase carry, but the benefits of shooting far out-weigh the slight carry issue.

Pac, I have a 94 AE in .356 Winchester and put a scope on it a couple yrs ago. Scope is an older Redfield Widefield 2 3/4 power. This makes a great combination for me. No ejection issues at all. JW

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    FYI, the Mossberg 464 is the perfect choice for someone who wants a 94 with a scope. The receiver has a proper rear bridge for it and uses the same base as the front.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Here's one of mine with Leupold scope bases and a low power variable. The only hard part is finding the hammer extension for these guns.

Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    Can't see the front sigh just a blur ,use a3x9x40 on my trapper ae ,wish I didn't need a scope but ageing is not much fun .

Agree with the above. The AE was built to scope.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use the Swift 1.5-4.5x20 shotgun scope on my Marlin Glenfield 30. Compact, great glass for the price, lots of eye relief, enough magnification for anything you would do with the .30 WCF. I'm sure it would be a dandy on the 94 too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input. I switched to my 30.30 for hunting 3 years ago when I started hunting with cast. When I carry the slab side I feel like a kid again. It is the same when I go fishing. I have a 20' Skeeter with a 225 hp. I do use it for tournaments but for the last few years unless I have a tournament it stays in the garage and my 16' jon boat with 25 hp engine goes fishing. It reminds me of a simpler time.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005