RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: New to me 25-20 wcf. Need advice on bullets

Boolit Mold

New to me 25-20 wcf. Need advice on bullets

Just picked up a very clean Rem 25 in 25-20. The bore is slightly dark, with very strong rifling. I have a 25R all ready, same cal. , so I have dies and one mold. The carbine was never real accurate. I have a lot of IMR 4198 and I would like to work up a load with it. I have a Lyman 2 cav mold that drops a plain base bullet of about 72 grains with the lead I am using. I also have a lot of 75 grain Sierra that will work if loaded one round at a time. Any good loads for these to start with. I only shoot targets with it so bullet performance is not a factor, only accuracy.
    What about gas check versus plain base ? I am not adverse to buying a another mold if need be.

Boolit Bub
    I have had the best luck with gas checked powder coated boolits. Before buying a different mold I would try powder coated plain base. If you do not powder coat I would be happy to powder coat some for you for just the price of return shipping. Just make sure they are clean and no lube on them.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you go to the Marlin owner's forum, there is a 132 page sticky on the .25-20 that has a plethora of info for the cartridge. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/re...reloaders.html

Good Luck, it is a fun little cartridge.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    Wow, you are right about that Marlin site. Thanks for the info. I have a powder coat rig, but I have never used it. I might try that too. Thanks.