WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I like Tumble Lubing....but

Boolit Buddy

I like Tumble Lubing....but

My method is to tumble lube my cast bullets with Lee Liquid Alox, then size, then tumble lube again, then go through the loading process with my Lee Classic Turret Press.

After I set the seating depth (COAL) I check the COAL with a caliper and after awhile I've noticed the COAL changes to a shorter value.
    I ultimately took the seating depth die apart and found it to have the LLA building up on the seating die. As it gets thicker, the COAL gets shorter.

Cleaning the die solves the problem....for awhile.
    So, I started wiping the lube off of the tip of the bullets before setting it in the case prior to seating it.
    The LLA method is an inexpensive method but I am now considering getting a rather "pricey" Lubri-Sizer device to eliminate my LLA headaches.

Any Tumble Lubers out there that have had this issue?...and have any tips to resolve the LLA buildup?
    Thanks

I've experienced the same difficulties as you. Short of cleaning the seater stem and wiping the excess LLA from the bullet noses, I haven't found a permanent solution either. However, I now wipe the part of the seater stem which contacts the CB with either ATF or 2 Cycle Oil, which inhibits a rapid buildup of LLA.

Boolit Master

The use of Ben's Liquid Lube has reduced the build up within my seating dies.

Other than that, you have to pull the seater die every few hundred and clean it if your getting build up from the lube.

Moderator Emeritus

I think the trick is, getting a thin coat, and letting it get thoroughly dry. repeat.
    I don't use LLA striaght, so maybe what I'm saying isn't possible?

I use 45-45-10 and I apply it with heat, they are dry in 10 to 15 minutes...as the boolits cool. I haven't had any build-up in my seater die using that method.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I used to use LLA but encountered the same problems you are so I went to the lube portion of this site and learned about 45-45-10. It's the same concept as LLA but so much better. It's a mix of liquid alox, paste wax, and mineral spirits. And you can buy it ready made from LSstuff who is a user/contributer to this site.

Also I wouldn't use an alox lube before sizing. Just spray on some case lube or something. I've used hornady one shot, Dillon spray on case lube (which is just lanolin / alcohol 1 to 8 mix so it's easy to make) or even whatever cooking oil the wife had in the kitchen.

Boolit Grand Master

Several years ago I bought a Ranch Dog bullet mold and on his web site he mentioned he "dip lubes" with alox and 45-45-10. I started dip lubing (45-45-10) and the nose of the bullet keeps clean without constant wiping and no build up in the seating die...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Hand dipping sounds way to time intensive. I only have so much time to devote to reloading ever since the kids arrived. 45-45-10 is very quick and maximizes the amount of time I can load and shoot ammo. A thin layer (very important, do not over apply) goes on fast and dries hard. Leaving no stick residue on the bullet or your equipment.

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...products_id=47

Boolit Master

I took the exact same journey as you. I used 45-45-10 applied a thin coat, sized and recoated. The lube never got completely dry for me and I got tired of my hands getting lube on them while loading magazines. Instead of getting a lube sizer (I spent a lot of time reading in that forum and found there to be too many varibles for me) I went the route of powder coating. It is not any faster for me but is cleaner and the only varible is what color to use.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

if you don't make the 45/45 lube correct it will stay soft and sticky.
    mine dries to a hard coating like 22 lr lube.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I make it a point before loading the boolits; to rub the bases and noses over a naphtha dampened rag. Don't really want lube on the powder end or the seating stem end
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

You're using way too much Lee Liquid Lube if it gunks up your dies that fast. You want just a light, golden wash look to the boolits. Also, try cutting it with mineral spirits to help. The mineral spirits will help it to dry faster.

I use Ben's Liquid Lube now. It dries up completely in just a couple hours, with no stickiness.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thin coats only. A little lube is all you need. To much LLA fouls the seater in short order. Just a little lube?? Runs pretty good and your stem cleaning is greatly reduced. Learned this years ago, and have NEVER had leading from to little lube.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for use of Ben's Liquid Lube. Love the stuff. Next venture is into the PC world. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Use 45-45-10 or BLL. Straight Alox is TOO thick. This is THREE coats of BLL!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

On my LnL press I just pop the seater and clean it with a stick, rag and lacquer thinner before a session. Takes about 30 seconds. Well, OK, maybe a minute.

Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all of your input and tips.
    I'll try thinning down the LLA and coating the seating stem with ATF or similar.
    I'll see how that goes and perhaps try some of the other lube suggestions.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Use 45-45-10 or BLL. Straight Alox is TOO thick. This is THREE coats of BLL!
    Thanks for the tip.
    However, looking at your picture, the bullet lube grooves hardly show any lube in them.
    I'm concerned about about.
    I say that because if you look at a bullet that has been lubed by a lubra-sizer, the grooves are filled with lube.
    Maybe your method is all we need? I don't know.

What matters is the bearing surface is coated with the lube. It makes no difference with BLL that the lube groove is not full.

Using conventional lube in a lube sizer is a different animal. That is why boolits have lube grooves. That's where THAT lube is supposed to go. The lube along with a PROPERLY sized boolit provides a good seal against hot gas passing by the boolit and causing leading issues.

I have fired hundreds and hundreds of those wadcutter boolits with great accuracy and zero leading in my S&W 14-2

Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ben's Liquid Lube and Recluse 45-45-10, and for that matter, Lee Liquid Alox, do not require a thick coat. Go lightly, when applying, Less is more in this case. The wadcutters depicted a few posts up are just about perfect. If properly fit to the gun, they will shoot up to 1100---maybe more--fps with little or no leading. I do have to occasionally clean my seating stems, but only after several hundred rounds are loaded. I usually clean at the start and then go until I get tired of pulling the crank on my 30 year old Dillon 450.

Like Waco, only more so, I have fired tens of thousands rounds, rifle and pistol, using nothing but LLA, 45-45-10 or BLL. Seldom has leading ever been an issue.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have shot BLL as a stand alone lube in my 30-30 at 2000fps with great accuracy and zero leading after 50 rounds. It is pretty amazing stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast