Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help picking mold for subsonic 300 blk

Help picking mold for subsonic 300 blk

Howdy everyone!

I'm looking for a mold to cast subsonic 300 blk bullets for an 8" barreled AR15 and I'm not sure which one to go with. I like the price of the Lee TL309-230-5R but have read that people have had accuracy issues with that bullet. I'm also looking at the NOE 311-230-FN and 311-247-FN. I will be powder coating the bullets if that makes a difference.

I have only cast 45acp bullets so I'm still pretty new to all of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I very much like the NOE 198gr mould I have. It cycles and shoots very well out of a couple 300 Whisper and 300aac guns I have....and it also shot well in a 300aac pistol I had.

-Butchman

Quote Originally Posted by Butchman205 View Post
    I very much like the NOE 198gr mould I have. It cycles and shoots very well out of a couple 300 Whisper and 300aac guns I have....and it also shot well in a 300aac pistol I had.

-Butchman
    Are you using the 198gr in a subsonic load?

Help picking mold for subsonic 300 blk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer View Post
    Are you using the 198gr in a subsonic load?
    Yes. Shake-n-bake powder coated with Smoke's powders, and sized in a Lyman sizer.

-Butchman

If you are considering them for hunting a hollow point version might be nice.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    If you are considering them for hunting a hollow point version might be nice.

This will be for target practice only.

I'm guessing "Smoke" is a member here who sells powder coating powder?

On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Thanks!

I'm leaning towards giving the 247gr a try. Any other suggestions before I spend almost $100? lol

Boolit Master

I'm leaning towards giving the 247gr a try. Any other suggestions before I spend almost $100? lol
    I like this design very much, it feeds very well for us in several AR's as long as they fit the mags well and shoot well at super and subsonic speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I like this design very much, it feeds very well for us in several AR's as long as they fit the mags well and shoot well at super and subsonic speeds.
    I have a few questions if you don't mind.

*Have you had to modify magizines to work with this bullet?
    *Are you powder coating them?
    *Are you using gas checks?
    Last edited by The_Hammer; 12-12-2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Autocorrect sucks!

Boolit Master

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

*Have you had to modify magizines to work with this bullet?
    *Are you powder coating them?
    *Are you using gas checks?
    1. I have modified gen 2 PMAG's, and they still suck. The gen3 (current) I've been told work. I use Lancer, they function perfectly.
    2. I have done both but currently powder coat
    3. My mold is plain base.

1. I have modified gen 2 PMAG's, and they still suck. The gen3 (current) I've been told work. I use Lancer, they function perfectly.
    2. I have done both but currently powder coat
    3. My mold is plain base.
    Thanks!

I have a few more questions, again lol.

*Have you used this load in a short barreled AR with pistol gas?
    *What powder have you found to work best for subsonic use while still cycling the action?

Thanks!

*What powder have you found to work best for subsonic use while still cycling the action?
    My best powder for AR carbine subs and short barreled pistol subs, is hands down RL-7.
    The Lyman AR reloading handbook has LOTS of pertinent info on exactly this subject. I've got a couple copies...and if you need any published info from them, hit me back with a pm and I'll get it to you.

-Butchman

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the Lee, then tried a modification to the mold to eliminate the boat tail. Still not as accurate as I wanted. Tried the RCBS 200 gr GC Silhouette. Never chronographed this load but the accuracy improved as I increased the powder charge until it was louder than I wanted. I decided to try a heavier bullet.

Now waiting on this mold: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-240A-D.png
    It has no lube grove and is intended for P/C only. The drawing shows a slight radius at the heel of the bullet but you can specify a flat base if desired.
    Last edited by scotner; 12-14-2016 at 11:47 PM.

After many hours of research I decided to go with an NOE 311-198-SP 2 cavity PB (311365). Thanks for the help everyone
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

Boolit Master

Thanks!

We have used it in a 8.5" SBR and we use RL-7 for cycling. I've heard 1680 works well also but I didn't have any until recently and I haven't used it yet.

We have used it in a 8.5" SBR and we use RL-7 for cycling. I've heard 1680 works well also but I didn't have any until recently and I haven't used it yet.
    Good to hear as I just picked up some RL-7 the other day. Thanks!
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

Boolit Master

With a pistol length gas you can probably use H110/W296 but I prefer to load to cycle in all of our uppers and H110/W296 will not cycle subs in my carbine length upper, although I haven't tried with the can since we got it.

Not sure the velocity you are looking for but I just tested out some 170's from Arsenal. it was the 30 HVTH1 mold. 170 Sliver. Shot and cycled fine with Lil Gun. Gonna drop the powder a couple grains. This Ar is mostly for practice. Had tried RCBS, Lee and NOE molds. Once PC'd the ogive was to far forward for my barrel. IIRC. this barrel seems to have a short throat. Thinking of using my hand throat reamer and lengthening it a tad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast