MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Bore slug gone wrong

Help! Bore slug gone wrong

Lead slug made 98 percent down and dowel broke off and is stuck. Tried another to finish it home they broke together and are lodged. Ideas?
    If you're 'gonna do it, do it right - Aim small, miss small - Don't Tread on Me

Banned

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...sa.x=10&sa.y=8

hopefully you find the correct answer in one of these threads.
    at least you'll know you ain't the first.

Boolit Bub
    I heard using Brass shaft from Ace Hardware store, I have heard people using Drill Press/Hand drill with tape wrapped around the entire drill except the tip. Or Drill press with blunt end to push it out. Drilling in the barrel is bad idea i think. GL

Boolit Master
    Provide more details and pictures. Not the first time for this, although I've never done it myself.

To prevent this problem never use a wood dowel. Hardware stores and welding supply stores carry brass or aluminum rods in different diameters that make perfect driving rods for bore slugging. The brass and aluminum rods are softer then the steel barrel and will not harm it like a steel rod may. Cost is only a few bucks.

Boolit Buddy

This is what I use with the addition of some electrical shrink tube for added protection.Also a proper size gas check on the end will prevent riveting into your soft slug.
    Read here somewhere about using a primer only cartdridge to Fire out the slug,scares me but might be a less damaging solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    To prevent this problem never use a wood dowel. Hardware stores and welding supply stores carry brass or aluminum rods in different diameters that make perfect driving rods for bore slugging. The brass and aluminum rods are softer then the steel barrel and will not harm it like a steel rod may. Cost is only a few bucks.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Get the leads slugs from Lead Bullet Technologies. Works with a cleaning rod. You can feel any restrictions.

Home Depot has steel rods that might work. That is what I used when I had a round stuck.

Boolit Grand Master

"Push the slug though with a hardwood dowel" is some of the worst advice ever foisted on the unsuspecting novice.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Ya I got the dowel advice on here and it didn't go my way. I will go buy the brass rods and see of o can ram it all out w out ruining the barrel
    If you're 'gonna do it, do it right - Aim small, miss small - Don't Tread on Me

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    "Push the slug though with a hardwood dowel" is some of the worst advice ever foisted on the unsuspecting novice.
    Yep,
    Buying a brass rod seems like a lot of money for something you may use only a couple of times...until you get a *****.

Anyway, one way might be to find thinwall tubing that will fit the bore and a drill that will fit the ID of the tube. Insert tube all the way to the obstruction and then drill it out. You will still need a brass rod after drilling to get the rest out.

Good luck

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Had that happen to me also got it out with metel rod.Now I use only asteel rod for sluging but iwrap it every cuole inches with blue painters tape inch and a halfwide tape to ware itjust fits inside barrel keeps steel ffom touching steel and is super strong no problems sense sluged lots of barrels with this method.Also when you slug litly lube the bore.Put some penitrating oil down your bore and let it sit fore a couple days also warm it up also it will come out easier.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do not get oil on the wood! That will make your job harder. The wood soaks up the oil and swells tighter in the bore.
    First, get the wood out. The best way I found to do that was to make rough saw blade on the end of a piece of brass or aluminum tubing--I used brass- that is long enough to reach the slug. I used a 1/4 inch diameter piece of rod about 24 inches long that fit in the barrel of the 30-30 I was working on. I made a bushing from the neck of a 250 savage shell and super glued it to to my drill about a half inch back of the cutter to keep the blades centered in the bore. After making your cutter,put it a variable speed drill and slowly grind away at the broken wood. Periodically, stop and bump the dust out and resharpen your drill. This is a tedious chore, and will take quite a while to get the wood broken up for removal, but it protects the bore.
    Once the wood is gone, finish driving the slug through with a brass rod of appropriate diameter, using a good penetrating oil like Kroil to make things flow a little easier. Good luck!!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

This is an awesome way to get stuff out. Hydraulic pressure using grease.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fimvzxZTpbU
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    Get the leads slugs from Lead Bullet Technologies. Works with a cleaning rod. You can feel any restrictions.

Home Depot has steel rods that might work. That is what I used when I had a round stuck.
    I have used that home depot steel rod, worked pretty good and didnt damage my barrel. But i did wrap it and electrical tape like 3 times on the end and sides.

The way I got broken dowells out of my bore is to freeze the barreled action for several hours. The lead and wood will shrink more than the steel. Then it is just a simple matter of pushing it all out. No real force is needed once everything is cold enough. You may want to reslug the barrel after this depending on how far you made it before it stuck as you won't be slugging while the steel is frozen.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    This is an awesome way to get stuff out. Hydraulic pressure using grease.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fimvzxZTpbU
    Awsome! The power of grease
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

A smaller dia steel rod with either tape shrink wrap or brass bushings on it to protect the bore works great. Another is to use enough hammer and push it thru. To get the wood out can be tricky at times. I have set them to the side with a trouble light on them providing light heat for a couple days, this drys the wood dowels out and shrinks them a little. A piece of brass tubing that fits the bore and a drill that fits it if you can find one or make one long enough works well. Straight ground rods can be found at tool supply shops in the form of gage stock drill rod ussually either o-1 or a-2. STarret browne and sharp and several others have this also. Normally available in 3" lengths. Use a 2-3 ln hammer and drive thru giving a solid push to the rod and slug. To light a blow and thelead slug expands and peens with out moving.

maybe hold the gun muzzle down and tap with arubber mallet, not too hard!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

that might get the dowels out at least, then, can you access the bore from the chamber side?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

Clamp your barrel in a sturdy vise (padded) Obtain a solid brass rod about 6 inches longer than your barrel. The rod diameter should be slightly smaller than your bore e.g. 1/4" in a .30, 5/16 in a 35 and so on. Insert rod in your barrel, you have wood I assume stuck in the muzzle end, insert the rod opposite end if possible so it will contact the bullet not the wood. Find a hammer, a 1.5 to 2 pound ballpein or crosspein works fine, you do not want to scrimp on a hammer here, get a big one. Strike the end of the brass rod firmly, not a tap. once you get it moving, your home free. Good luck.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast