MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: MGM Barrels...

Boolit Master

Question MGM Barrels...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...28#post3841728

That is a thread I started some time ago concerning the 30-40 Krag cartridge for use in an Encore—got some good answers and I have decided to go with the factory barrel format rather than the full bull barrel because of possible ‘scope issues…

I will get a 1:10 twist…

Now then, I have also been doing some research on the MGM Company and I am getting very mixed reviews. Although not a 50/50 split, many were not happy with the quality, barrel hook-up on Encore frames, and turn-over time…

Now, before I might make the order to MGM, how about a few comments from people who have purchased custom barrels from MGM, especially for the Encore…

(I'm going to start this thread here, but might move it to Single Shot Guns if not many replies here)

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Master

I have bought one and two friends, one bought one the other two. Very pleased, performance, finish. I returned my barrel to open up the neck a couple thousands and this was done cheerfully and at no charge. This was something I requested after delivery, this was not an oversight or a manufacturing error. Offers to pay was refused. I'll buy another.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I own one, though it's a Contender barrel. I've been more than pleased with it.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Just got another one from them today. You will have to follow the break in instructions and use new brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Just got another one from them today. You will have to follow the break in instructions and use new brass.
    Well, I'll follow the instructions, but I won't have new brass...

I don't even know if anyone makes 39-40 Krag brass...

BCB

Boolit Master
    I bought a MGM 22 inch barrel for a Encore frame several years ago. I have had zero problems with it and the accuracy is all I had hoped for.It is stainless steel and is chambered for 218 bee 1-14 inch twist.If I ever need another barrel in some off beat cartridge they will be my first choice..............Terry

Boolit Master
    I have had my share of custom after market barrels over the years.
    The first one is had was a Virgin Valley barrel, same bunch of guys as MGM. I bought it
    from a gent that "just could not get it to shoot". I looked at his brass and his load notes,'he included with the barrel. His data was ok, it was his loading that was the issue. He wanted the ammo to work in several different guns. Which it did, but with mediocre results.
    In my findings, brass and loads should be made for each barrel with a specific frame to get the very best it has to offer.
    Mike Bellm gives some good input on loading for the break open single shots. However none of it is written in stone so to speak, much like a lot of input of how to's.
    I have found most all of my customs and rechambers to be easier to get to shoot well than most factory chambered barrels.
    I still have several custom's that I don't shoot much any more, I keep them just because I trust them each and every time.
    Yet I have several factory barrels that shoot well, but I have wayyyyy more time in them finding a load or loads they like.
    Jeff

All 3 encore barrels i have from mgm shoot very well. No issues whatsoever. Fit well and look good. D

Boolit Grand Master
    Limited info for you but, I bought one of the MGM barrels and like it.

Boolit Master

Tell them what you are doing because that chamber is tight and some brass will not work. I had to use new 357 brass in my barrel.

Banned
    i have 4 MGM encore barrels and everyone of them is accurate. i don't use a dummy cartridge to customize a chamber. i haven't heard a negative view from MGM yet.

Boolit Master

I've got a 15" 500 S&W barrel and a 7.5" threaded 300 BO Encore barrels. Both shoot well.

Boolit Master

It appears the vote is they are generally good barrels, unless some with bad experiences don't with to post...

Guess I will order the 30-40 Krag factory taper barrel as I think the full contour barrel will not allow me to mount my 'scope without super high rings...

Anyone know the approximate time from order to receiving the barrel. I know that will vary from time of the year and such...

Thanks...BCB

Banned
    they take 4-6 weeks to do.

all of mine are heavy factory contour barrels(.810" at the muzzle and 1"(guesstimate) at the chamber). i think that they are factory barrels, but i don't own a factory barrel but the factory forearm does fit the heavy factory barrel(.810" muzzle). i have a thing about using a lite weight barrel since the early 1990"s. dang remington and their lite weight barrels...

tho it might be considered expensive, i'd go with http://www.highplainsgunstocks.com/ . for an extra $300 or so (i believe its $320, i have to check) it is well worth it. i have two of them on my encores. i love the factory raised cheek piece.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    they take 4-6 weeks to do.

all of mine are heavy factory contour barrels(.810" at the muzzle and 1"(guesstimate) at the chamber). i think that they are factory barrels, but i don't own a factory barrel but the factory forearm does fit the heavy factory barrel(.810" muzzle). i have a thing about using a lite weight barrel since the early 1990"s. dang remington and their lite weight barrels...

tho it might be considered expensive, i'd go with http://www.highplainsgunstocks.com/ . for an extra $300 or so (i believe its $320, i have to check) it is well worth it. i have two of them on my encores. i love the factory raised cheek piece.
    The following are the dimensions of my present factory barrel...

At the breech end: 0.9965”
    At the front of the ‘scope: 0.787”
    At the muzzle: 0.717”

I only have 0.024" clearance under the 'scope and the barrel. I am thinking a full contour barrel would not give me enough clearance with my present mounting system...

I guess that's why I have decided on an MGM factory taper barrel. I don't want to go with higher rings...

Do you think the lighter barrel might not shoot as well as the full contour barrel? I won't be firing heavy duty loads in it, just cast boolits at <2000 fps...

Thanks...BCB

Banned
    nah, just make sure that you don't heat up the barrel. i have a '98 springfield armory krag (bubbasized) and it is only 0.650" at the muzzle. i do 5 shots and i take a 15-20 min break and then i do another 5 shots...i do cast too, 165gr ranch dog with 25.5gr of h4198(roughly 1800fps) and i've only heated it up luke warm.

my rem m7 in 7-08 has a lite weight barrel on it and it does around 1/2" at 100 yards with 139gr hornady fn. my "thing" is a 30-06 in a rem mountian rifle that would not shoot. the best it would do was a factory rem 180gr rn at roughly 2 1/2". i tried hornady, speer, seirra....at different grains of powder and bullets and i could not do a less than 3" at 100 yards(3 shots). i bedded it, checked out the scope, swicthed out to a black plastic stock, done +/- col...you name it, i've done it. for the amount of money i spent, i could have had 3 rifles. but i traded it in a couple of years later for another lite weight 243 in rem m7. it would do roughly an 1" at 100 yards(5 shots).

Boolit Bub
    I purchased a 22 hornet barrel fro MGM and it is tight to action and very accurate. I would not hesitate to purchase another.