Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Shot count Speer capsules

Shot count Speer capsules

Playing around recently and had some results that seemed better than I remembered so I dug out some of my old shot loads that used #9 shot.

Speer .38 capsules hold:
    100.9 gn #9 shot /.8 gn per pellet = 126 pellets
    106.9 gn #12 shot/.2 gn per pellet = 535 pellets

Speer .45 capsules hold:
    154.4 gn #9 shot = 193 pellets
    166.7 gn #12 shot = 834 pellets

I guess I never sat down and did the math when I switched over to #12 shot, makes a fairly substantial difference.

So despite my .380 ACP shot loads only having 61.6 grains of #12 shot in them they patterned better than my old 38spl #9 loads because while the payload is less there are 182 more pellets being sent down range (308 vs 126).

Boolit Grand Master

I swapped over to #12 shot for my pistol shot loads after patterning them. Frankly, there is no comparison. In the field, #12 will shred a snakes head far beyond the danger zone. Try it, you'll like it!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Number 10 shot is what I use, this is what I had and works. Have shot a rattle snake at the gate at night, hard time seeing the anamial but after 3 shots he was done. Shot where I thought he was but it turned out he was about 3 feet away once I got the flash light turned on. Shot over him twice thought he was not too close at first my mistake.

I weigh the shot and try to get close to the recommended weight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Before I started loading my own shotshells for handguns, I killed a few snakes with CCI .38 Special shotshells and whatever huge shot (7½ or 9???) they load in them. I was not impressed. The .22 load with #12 shot does better.

If a poisonous snake is close enough to worry about, it is close enough for #12 shot to do the trick.

Frankly, I don't see the need for trying to kill small game with shot loads from a handgun, so I use the smaller shot.

Robert

Boolit Master
    #12 is what I use in 38 and 44. Makes for some fun shooting in the chicken coop for rats in the corn.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

#9 shot looks pretty tiny sitting in the palm of your hand, but loads like bowling balls when you start filling up those Speer shot capsules. You probably won't find #12 at your local store, but these guys have it: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Chi...uctinfo/02612/

I got my #12 from BPI....good place to do business with. I've purchased lots of components from them over the years and have been very happy with them.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

Talking

I remember hunting rats with Winchester "rat shot" rounds in our single shot .22s and flashlights. My friend's father owned a nursery, and the buildings were mostly open sheds, and the rats were plentiful. One night, we were in the main shed, and saw a rat on top of one of the large red metal first aid boxes on the wall. He shot low, and a large divot appeared in the side of the cabinet, and the rat disappeared!
    When asked what happened, I imagine he said I had shot the cabinet, because rat shooting invitations stopped rather suddenly!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

If a poisonous snake is close enough to worry about, it is close enough for a standard bullet to do the trick. There might be some advantage to a 400 grain Kieth bullet though, if the snake is big enough.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot a number of snakes with both solid bullets and shot capsules. When you are in the mountains, a solid bullet will sometimes richochet from hard ground. Sometimes they come back at you and that is NOT a good thing. Fine shot (#12) will give no problems in that scenario and does the job on the biggest rattler. Kentucky has some LARGE buzz tails. I have seen some that are so big I will NOT describe as I would be called a liar. #12 does the job when it HAS to be done.

I don't go around killing any snake I see. But when I NEED to it's nice to know I can and do when necessary.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

And sometimes I use gas check and shot in combo
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    If a poisonous snake is close enough to worry about, it is close enough for a standard bullet to do the trick. There might be some advantage to a 400 grain Kieth bullet though, if the snake is big enough.
    That'd have to be one BIIIIG snake!