RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trouble with 7mm Rem Mag Brass

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Huh?
    Can you give us/me a link???
    Never heard of it and Google turned up zero.
    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/637...FV2ewAodQRMADw

There are plenty more sites to find these. They are very common for firearms requiring minimum tolerances in reloaded ammo.

Boolit Master
    In general, with the problems being described I'd be thinking chamber irregularities or over pressure issues from the ammo... just saying.
    If the cartridge loads easily and extracts easily unfired, what changes from firing?... Swollen areas of the chamber, poor chambering dimensions allowing excessive case expansion, over pressure due to load specs... ?
    There's a reason...

A redding bodu die without collett seems working for me

Inviato dal mio F5321 utilizzando Tapatalk

Just my last takes: I am on 6 and 7 reloads (two different batches) now for the 7mmRemMag and no cases shows signes of deteriorating ouside and inside aswell. I resize only the body of cartriges using a redding "solo" body die, this let me resize the buldge near the belt under 0.508. Then I work the collet with the Lee CD fitted with a lightly undesized mandrel (I lapped it myseld securing it on a stand drill and using whet sandpaper, gfew minutes job). To set back the shoulder 0,005, when needed, I have used a Lee FL die. Cause I like the self centering concept of Lee's o-ringed fix-rings I usually paint an arrow on top of the dies to aquire the correcth titening, in this case I check the correct position with a feeler inserted between shell holder and die's base.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]So far things are working perfectly.

Just my last takes: I am on 6 and 7 reloads (two different batches) now for the 7mmRemMag and no cases shows signes of deteriorating ouside and inside aswell. I resize only the body of cartriges using a redding "solo" body die, this let me resize the belly near the belt under 0.508. Then I work the collet with the Lee CD fitted with a lightly undesized mandrel (I lapped it myseld securing it on a stand drill and using whet sandpaper, gfew minutes job). To set back the shoulder 0,002, when needed, I have used a Lee FL die. Cause I like the self centering concept of Lee's o-ringed fix-rings I usually paint an arrow on top of the dies to aquire the correcth titening, in this case I check the correct position with a feeler inserted between shell holder and die's base.
    So far things are working perfectly.

Boolit Master

I used the Larry Willis die and did not experience the problem. I measured the case just above the belt and the Larry Willis die sized the brass at that location 0.005" smaller than my RCBS die. The brass that gave me the problem was range pick-up Browning brass that I have since thrown away. I have not had the problem with my new Hornady brass nor with once fired R-P range pick-up brass.
    I know the problem was not excessive pressure as I loaded a range of cases starting with the lowest powder charge and working up to 90% max.
    If anything I suspect that the chamber might need polishing.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Man
    Larry Willis die did not fix mine.

I went with a 7 rem mag small base sizer, and if that does not do the job, then go with a 7STW small base sizer from RCBS which is smaller in dia than the 7 Mag small base sizer. The 7 STW will of course only size the web area and a very small part of the body.

Boolit Master
    Some late Model 70 Winchesters have the receiver threads broached at the locking lug race way slots in the receiver.
    When a Win short magnum (and I would guess a belted magnum) barrel is installed the missing threads squeezes the chamber out of round preventing rechambering of fired cases.

The .300 Win Short Mag seems to be plagued with FL resizing problems. I have seen many complaints about the .300 WSM not chambering after FL resizing.
    I am not sure this problem also affects the belted magnums but it might.
    EDG

I got evenly some resistence when opening the bolt on my 2006 700 Rem but it is more a feeling than e real issue. To explain better if I open the bolt with fingers tips it' hard, harder than wit my rem 308, if I gave the bolt a very lite wack with my hand's palm it opens flawlessy. I would investigate deeper nex time at the range tryng to fnd out if issue is with any kind of brass or (just a suspect) with WW one. If so it means that case are softer. Have to add that being my loads on the soft side (2800 fps with a 150 gr bullet) I cannot say if with hot loads this could become a real issue.

Boolit Master
    I had a 700 Rem Varmit model cal .243 Win that gave some resistance when opening the bolt.
    The chamber had 2 minor tears in the finish that the case grabbed when loaded to high pressures. At factory load pressures it caused no problems.
    I could have stopped the problem by polishing the chamber but later sold the rifle without making any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Motard View Post
    I got evenly some resistence when opening the bolt on my 2006 700 Rem but it is more a feeling than e real issue. To explain better if I open the bolt with fingers tips it' hard, harder than wit my rem 308, if I gave the bolt a very lite wack with my hand's palm it opens flawlessy. I would investigate deeper nex time at the range tryng to fnd out if issue is with any kind of brass or (just a suspect) with WW one. If so it means that case are softer. Have to add that being my loads on the soft side (2800 fps with a 150 gr bullet) I cannot say if with hot loads this could become a real issue.
    EDG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12