Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Hunting Camp Adventure

Boolit Grand Master

Hunting Camp Adventure

I was enjoying an evening alone in camp this weekend with an adult beverage. I'd filled my cooler earlier in the day so I did a few chores around camp and relaxed. I noticed some activity out of the corner of my eye and then began to watch a busy little gopher dig a bit of a hole not six feet from me. I watched him while I enjoyed the peace & quiet (and my beverage ). I got up to refresh my drink and was careful to not alarm the little guy when I returned and sat down to enjoy the show nature was putting on for me.
    About halfway into my second adult beverage I remembered the hole the leg of my chair had broken into when I sat down for breakfast and I saw a few other gopher related safety hazards around camp. Suddenly I didn't like my cute little new friend so much. I moved my chair into position so that the next time he popped up his little head I'd be about four feet behind him. I drew my 45ACP, took careful aim, released the thumb safety and waited. I didn't have long to wait. Up popped his little earless head, BOOM goes my 45 and he falls back into his hole after taking a 200 gr J-word () to the base of his skull. Some of the dirt he'd so carefully stacked up around his new hole fell down on top of his lifeless body.
    Somehow I couldn't decide if my little escapade reminded me more of Caddyshack or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Nicely done!

Boolit Master

Best gopher........dead gopher! And I can totally see me doing the same.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Are you going to have him mounted??
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Place he,s head on a pole to warn other!

While I admire rodents work ethic they can be destructive.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Not much meat on a gopher, stringy too! I killed a squirrel one time with a 44 mag loaded with w 240 gr swc and 7.5 gr unigue. It worked. No points for style.
    siamese4570

Another fine example of the effects of that Demon Rum!!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    At least, you didn't ruin the hide!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    The loins should still be good.....

Boolit Grand Master

Killed a pest and his fleas, good job!
    Charter Member #148

45 is a good caliber for Gopher....

Boolit Buddy
    If they won't stay and drink with you that's all they can expect... Never trust a gopher that doesn't drink. After seeing the title of this thread I was worried about the dozen-plus miscreants that bailed out of the SUV over by Chase Field/Jail... Those folks like an unattended deer camp when they can find one.

Boolit Master
    Did you get full penetration? Sometimes those fancy store bought bullets open up too early
    Always use enough gun !!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post
    If they won't stay and drink with you that's all they can expect... Never trust a gopher that doesn't drink. After seeing the title of this thread I was worried about the dozen-plus miscreants that bailed out of the SUV over by Chase Field/Jail... Those folks like an unattended deer camp when they can find one.
    That's a bit close, this ranch is on the east side of Bee county south of 202 but it's 6+ miles of bad road from an FM road.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by adcoch1 View Post
    45 is a good caliber for Gopher....
    Just barely, if he'd ben in a cranky mood and charged me I'd have fetched a riot gun or a heavy rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Are you going to have him mounted??
    Not this time, quick field score indicated I should wait for a better specimen to justify the taxidermy fee.

I saw one of those litttle, oh two of those little rat, errr three of those little farts in a tunnel, oh heck those dang things breed faster than I can type. Good shot, now to get his female freind and you will really reduce the family.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

Good thing you used enough gun. I hear they charge when they're wounded.

I had always wondered how to kill gophers. I am blessed by the knowledge I acquire here!
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!