Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Winchester Model 95 (Browning Copy)

Boolit Buddy

Winchester Model 95 (Browning Copy)

Was at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show (SAR West Show)
    this past weekend and ran across an extremely clean Winchester/Browning Model 95 in 30-06.

I eyeballed it extremely hard for about 20 minutes going over it with a flashlight and a small handheld magnifying glass and could find no obvious signs of wear or abuse as it had been taken care of extremely well.

The only thing that gave me pause was that the hammer spring was extremely light and when working the lever, it's movement was almost effortless.

That screamed to me that somebody had monkeyed with it and I almost never buy a gun when someone's dug around in it as I don't want to end up spending a fortune sorting out somebody else's gun smithing mistakes.

The guy selling the gun knew very little about the gun and had recieved in in trade on another deal he had worked at the beginning of the week.

I told him about my concerns reference the hammer spring and having to deal with the specter of light primer strikes and told him I'd likely pass.

Well, the seller (needing cash 3 weeks before Xmas) dropped his asking price reference my concerns) from 975 to 850 and (with a slight pause) I agreed and bought the rifle.

I walked around the show carrying the rifle for a while and that light hammer spring was gnawing at me a little (again worrying about light primer strikes) and curiosity got the best of me and I found a vendor selling primed factory Federal 30-06 brass and took the rifle out in the parking lot, wrapped the muzzle in the gun sock that came with the gun and popped a couple of primers in the bed of my truck just to be sure.

It it worked fine (which was a relief).

I got it home late Saturday afternoon and loaded up the brass I bought with some 175 grain Jwords and took it out to see how it shot.

To to say I was pleased was an understatement.

With th no load development and using the starting load for IMR 4895 I was able to turn in 2 inch groups (off the bench) at 100 yards and to my surprise groups were centered on the target.

Feeling froggy I decided to run 5 rounds offhand at 100 at my small steel swinger and was able to turn in the group below:

Again, this is offhand at 100 yards.

I've been wanting Winchester Model 95 in 30-06 for a long while to go with my Miroku model 95 in 405 and the way this one shoots makes me regret not buying one sooner.
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 12-05-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Great find, I have an original 95 in .30 gov't. (built in 1897)........been toyin with the idea of getting one of the new ones in .405........just because.
    Looks like you have a keeper.
    NRA Benefactor

Moderator Emeritus

I'm a man of few words, ATCDoktor, so:
    1) Great deal!
    2) Beautiful rifle!
    3) Very good offhand group!

Oh yeah, and welcome to the finest firearm related forum on the 'Net. Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Nice shootin good lookin rifle too
    Cast it, load it, send it.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a real nice deal you got! I've got a later SRC version of the same rifle. Parts are out there but you have to do some looking. I too was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy they produce.

Boolit Grand Master

There's something about the 1895. Quite possibly the best levergun JMB designed and quite possibly the homeliest as well. I have an early (1896) Winchester and one a bit newer (1915?), both in 30US. Truly a joy to shoot and fun to work the action.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Very nice ! An 1895 is high on my hit list.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    Great find, I have an original 95 in .30 gov't. (built in 1897)........been toyin with the idea of getting one of the new ones in .405........just because.
    Looks like you have a keeper.
    "Just Because.." sounds like a good reason to me! I got one of the new ones in .405 Win, put the BACO copy of the Lyman receiver sight on it too. A flintlock is my next priority, but if a 95 in .30Govt came along ...!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Outstanding deal! Browning did a good job on these.

Boolit Master
    Good find, decent price. Arguably the smoothest lever action ever built. I installed peep sites on my .405 and it will shoot 1.5 inches or better (off a rest) at 100 yards.
    Been wanting an 06 for years myself.
    Congrats on finding a winner.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I have an original '95 in .303 British, it has the repro. side mounted copy of the Lyman 21 sight. The punkin' on the front of the forestock is wrong on those copies.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Merry Christmas
    There is an outfit on GB that sells the 405 Winchester 1895 brand for a very attractive price. Bought one earlier this year and had a bunch of fun shooting it through the summer when up north there.
    Rebounding hammer... I had hesitations about that small little spur under the hammer. First the 1886 (jap) started giving a light hammer strike about every 50 wacks. Then got to be a bit more. There is an excellent tutorial "how to disassemble and reassemble" the 86 (jap)action that also covers cutting off that rebound spur. I did and no more light hammer strikes. Plus the half cock works so much better.
    Well the 1895 gave me one light strike one day. Cut that little issue off also. Problem cured. That one I did without disassemble. Just remove the rear stock and there it is. No regrets ! Did I write no more light hammer strikes and the half cock works like it should.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Oh how I wish I had never opened this thread. That is a beautiful rifle, and now one just like it became #2 on my next to buy list......right behind my first suppressor. Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Buddy

I have the Mirkuru in 30 Gov also, 30-40 krag, and I clean up on my clubs lever action shoot using home cast and a peep sight. That rifle is a real attention getter.
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

Boolit Master
    You all just think you got it bad...
    A good friend keeps showing me his High Grade in 405W. $2400 asnib.

Rich

Boolit Master
    Love the model '95 and have never seen it as a homely lever gun. It is certainly not as elegant as a model '86 or '73, but is still quite beautiful.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations, ATCDoktor! That's a great deal on a great rifle, and some mighty fine off-hand shooting, too.

I'm currently the curator for two Model 1895s - a slightly Bubba'd Winchester from 1913 chambered for .30 Gov't Model 1903 (yes, 1903!) that I rescued in 2002, and a USRAC/Miroku from 1995 chambered for .30-06 that I picked up, still NIB, back in 1999.

Jim
    Last edited by jrmartin1964; 12-26-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Great buy, great gun, and great shooting! Think what you can do when you get loads tuned in to that barrel! Don't you just LOVE it when a plan comes together like that?

And BTW, I can't give any testimonials (unfortunately) but I understand the Alaskans in rough country loved those guns. Lots of screws in them, so they were more involved to take apart and keep really clean, but they were like a Timex, and took a licking and kept on ticking. Those type guns really endeared themselves to a very tough people who were dependent on their guns working 100.000% of the time, and on which their lives often depended. Everything comes at a price, and their inner complexity usually makes things LESS reliable, but not in this case, apparently. You probably have done even better than you thought. We buy guns today mostly for how they look. Your new one goes MUCH further than the looks dept.! I suspect that as you learn more about it, you will learn to love and appreciate them even more. I'm envious of you!

Boolit Buddy
    My Model 1895 Browning was like that when I got it new when they first came out. Fired 800 + rounds through it. Never missed a beat.