RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: burrs on Lee mold

Boolit Bub

burrs on Lee mold

I have a new Lee 9mm 6 cavity mold, complete with a rough base area on 2 of the cavities. This is a bevel base mold. Is there a way to smooth these out that the average moron can handle? The boolits hang up when the mold is opened, gets annoying. I am not sure how to do this without ruining the boolit base. Thanks for any help I can get. Next time I will just buy a NOE and be done, I was just trying to be cheap this time. Lesson learned.

Boolit Grand Master

You can disasemble the mould dowwn to the blocks. Clamp together on the pins and lightly polish the tops of the blocks with a piece of fine wet dry sand paper 400 grit to 600 grit backed on a hard flat sirface. Coat the tops of the blocks with a black magic marker. use water or a very light oil on the paper working blocks in a figure 8 pattern. check to see progress. when ll the ink is gone they are normally done. Also check the bottom of the sprue plate as a rough plate can cause this also.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks country gent! Great idea. I have a heavy piece of glass I can use to polish on. You may be right about the sprue plate. I did not notice the roughness on the blocks until after I cast some with the mold. I will check out sprue plate tomorrow, may have to polish it a bit too. I can always count on the smart folks here for some good help! One more solution to a problem to file away in the back of my pea brain. Thanks again!