MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: general lead info

general lead info

well i have done a search and i cant find anything on this subject, but then sometimes i don't search so well. i'm looking for 2 very general answers.

1. Is there a fps limit that lead. can you cast for boolits over 3000 fps. i'm looking at many different things right now and trying to figure out what i want.

2. How long can a casted none lubed bullet be stored for and also how long can a casted lubed bullet by stoered for and what is the best way of doing this.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    3,000 fps? I dunno, but I have learned here that the bigger the caliber, the slower the boolit for accuracy. My 22-250 shoots 1" groups at 100 yards at 2684av. Can't get my 30 cal over 2,000

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jballs918
    well i have done a search and i cant find anything on this subject, but then sometimes i don't search so well. i'm looking for 2 very general answers.

1. Is there a fps limit that lead. can you cast for boolits over 3000 fps. i'm looking at many different things right now and trying to figure out what i want.

2. How long can a casted none lubed bullet be stored for and also how long can a casted lubed bullet by stoered for and what is the best way of doing this.

Thanks

1. 3000fps would certainly be a challenge. I can not think of a castable alloy that would withstand that pressure.

2. Cast boolit shelf life is indefinite. I know of folks that have loaded and shot cast boolits that they produced 10 or more years ago Cigar boxes are a favorite storage container as are the shallow "Glad Ware" containers. Providing you store them in a manner that prevents damage, they could last a lifetime. But that's no fun. You gotta shoot em.

NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i got the 300 fps plus off of a 22-250, it was like 3100 or so. but this was production ammo. and if i recall i think some 7mm mag also has a bit higher

Boolit Master
    Store em in coffee cans. I fill the 3 pound type with boolts, it holds about 30 pounds, or 1200 45s, maybe 1500 30 cal 150. I then store the lubed and sized ones in 1 lb cans.

David

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David R
    3,000 fps? I dunno, but I have learned here that the bigger the caliber, the slower the boolit for accuracy. My 22-250 shoots 1" groups at 100 yards at 2684av. Can't get my 30 cal over 2,000
    David R
    What mold are you using for that 22/250?
    BIC/BS

the 3000 fps was from production ammo i think maybe the question should be is there any bullet you cant cast in lead becuase of the fps is to much

Boolit Master
    BS,

Its a 225646 Lyman cast of pure linotype. I have been trying to post a 300 yard target, but.... Maybe tomorrow, I have to shrink it.

I did pour up a bunch of quenched #2 alloy, but have not tried them yet. They are harder than the lino.

Ran into a small snag, I am out of SR4759. I bought some WC820. Tomorrow I hope to slip out at lunch time and do some chronographing to try and get the same accuracy and velocity. Ya never know.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Dan, I have that 225646 and find that it is a fine boolit, especially when made hard and shot fast in 14 twist. Because it is a bore rider, and is a little small there, it can slump to become uneven, opening up groups quite quickly. Pushing it faster causes a faster rotation which evens up the distribution of the unsupported nose, now supported by centrifical force. So, 2500-2900 won't be as accurate as 3000 plus, provided the lead holds up at all and does not smoke (blowup) at 50 yards. All of this is lead dependent as you well know. Explains why some boolits shoot quite well when shot extra fast. However, your Walt Melander boolit design should shoot this well. Waiting to do your boolits with Sundog sometime soon. He has a new 22-250 coming by TurkeyDay. ... felix
    felix

Banned
    Does anyone know the thread size and pitch on the retaining nut that lyman uses on their lubersizer? I'm going to go ahead and order a tap and convert my old Lyman 45 to the threaded nut style rather then that leaking system where the die is trapped by a thumb screw.

Joe
    Last edited by StarMetal; 11-01-2005 at 11:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    Does anyone know the thread size and pitch on the retaining nut that lyman uses on their lubersizer? I'm going to go ahead and order a tap and convert my old Lyman 45 to the threaded nut style rather then that leaking system where the die is trapped by a thumb screw.

Joe
    Might I suggest looking into the RCBS nut if you are going this route? In past I had the RCBS tool and really liked how it easy it was to change out. The Lyman is a very fine thread, I don't think it likely one would find a tap for it on a hardware store shelf. The RCBS was coarser, and it could be that which made it change out so well.

Banned
    I was going to buy the tap from a big tool outlet, no hardware store is going to have even RCBS's thread size. My Lyman fine thread works just fine. I'll bet that it would be easier or faster to get an RCBS nut though. Might just call them and ask them the size.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jballs918

Thanks
    1422 x alloy BHN = alloy pressure limit. Its more about pressure than speed.
    and also bullet fit and design and lube are all factors.
    Look for the lowest pressure giving highest speed , when selecting powders.
    3000, I think it can be done but not with out a LOT of trial & error.
    as for the storage.
    As long as there not heat treated or have a high tin content they will last longer than you need them to. Good Luck!! ......Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan