MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

6.5 Grendel

I know that the 6.5 Gendel is formed from the 7.62 x 39 Russian . What goes in to this case forming? Is there a form die set available? At this point I am buying factory ammo to get me a start on brass to work with, But I do have some new 7.62 x 39 brass collecting dust . I am not sure if it is worth reforming, I do case for other rifles but they are all bolt action, this one is an AR-15 has any one done this?

Boolit Master
    Just resize with the 6.5 Grendel dies and load.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Grand Master
    thats what I do. Drop my load about two grains till fireformed.

Boolit Master
    I have been reforming with the 6.5 dies, and loading a 3 grain charge of red dot behind the NOE 123 grain 6.5 bullet to fire form. My shoulders are a little rounded, but after a starting load at normal 6.5 charges they sharpen right up. You do lose a little capacity using x39 brass from what I know. It can actually be beneficial for a cast shooter who does not want full charges anyway because the case fill is better with the x39 brass.

I make all of my brass from Win 7.62x39 brass. It is stronger and gives me about double the reloads of the other brass, which is softer. With the softer brass the primer pockets enlarge pretty quick. I just run the Win brass into a FL die and use a top end load right out of the gate. I shoot my regular .25 inch groups right away, with 120gr SMKs in my 1-8 twist barrel. I do not use the 140gr although it is pictured. I also shoot 160gr .267 bullets with a can in my subsonic loads for hog hunting at night. They shoot .5 inches at 50 , penetrates 11 phone books, and run just at 1,100 fps with my speed of sound at 1,117 fps. The pictured load was the first full function subsonic load in a Grendel to my knowledge. Requires a bit of fooling around with the springs and buffer, but it works.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5 Grendel Sub Sonic.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	182143

140gr and 160gr
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903