WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger american ranch rifle

Boolit Master

Ruger american ranch rifle

Been reading and it looks like a remarkable value for a light handy rifle. Anyone have experience with it and can share their thoughts? Not sure if the 223 or the Blackout is more fitting for my uses. Is the stock a bit too light and flimsy impacting accuracy? Trigger OK? Just looks like an excellent value for a knock about enjoyable versatile rifle. Always liked old wood stocked rifles, but coming to see the beauty in this one which would never tempt to be a safe queen.

The Blackout seems like it might be a good replacement and more versatile than the 357/77 now discontinued. Next will have to read about reloading the Blackout to see if it can take very light loads along with full loads.

Boolit Grand Master

My only issue is the low comb. It doesn't come w/ irons and any optic I've but on it has me pulling me cheek off the stock. Seeing as how it had a threaded barrel for suppressor use the low comb is even more baffling to me.

Outside of that it's a handy little carbine. Mine is in 300 BO.

Boolit Master

Have one in 223 and currenty working up loads in it but certain it will be a moa rifle. I didn't like the stock at all and put a Boyds on it, made a world of difference as far as the comb goes, added a bit more weight and sure made it look better.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I almost bought a RAR rifle but changed my mind when I looked at the twist rate on the label which was 1/7 if memory serves. I ended up buying a T/C Venture at a similar price with a 1/12 which I thought would be better with CB's. I still like the looks of the RAR and it would certainly a handy little thing for back-of-the-truck - more so than the Venture. Nevertheless, the Venture did shoot .7" right out of the box with 52 gr jacketed at a light load for 2400 FPS which was better than advertised. I am still working on choosing the right CB and right powder for that CB.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I didn't like the stock at all and put a Boyds on it, made a world of difference as far as the comb goes, added a bit more weight and sure made it look better.
    Which one? I know they make them for the American but I haven't seen them for the Ranch version.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Which one? I know they make them for the American but I haven't seen them for the Ranch version.
    I think the stocks are all the same, action length notwithstanding. I the Ranch has the same barrel profile as the Predator, which I have, just shorter.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    I think the stocks are all the same, action length notwithstanding. I the Ranch has the same barrel profile as the Predator, which I have, just shorter.
    This is true. Before I bought the Ranch I bought an American 308 compact and put a Boyds on it. When I bought the Ranch I checked to see if it would fit in the 308 stock and it did so I ordered one.
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 12-05-2016 at 12:56 AM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    This is true. Before I bought the Ranch I bought an American 308 compact and put a Boyds on it. When I bought the Ranch I checked to see if it would fit in the 308 stock and it did so I ordered one.
    How's it handle? I've considered the Featherweight for mine in a nice Forest Camo laminate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    How's it handle? I've considered the Featherweight for mine in a nice Forest Camo laminate.
    It's a very nice stock and was very easy to bed but does take away the very light feel of the rifle which I was totally okay with. I have pretty fat hands and it took awhile for me to get comfortable with the pistol grip because it is a little thick. I am very happy with the stock and have no regrets about the purchase of this one or the one on my 308.

Boolit Master
    I have an American Ranch in the 5.56 caliber. It has a 1-8" twist. It is my walking varminter up here in the high desert. It shoots 50 gr V-Max reloads very well, but I am thinking of going to 60 gr for a little more killing power. It is lightweight, and accurate.

Vendor Sponsor

I have the blackout. It loves noe 247 HPs at 1050 or 1450, Lyman 180 -190, hornady 220
    Or if you want fast Lee 155 or 125 gr Bowler ballistic tips. Great gun for a suppressor. Low recoil. Makes a great youth gun
    Have sold ( ffl dealer) at least 6 blackouts, 2 or or 3 243's and 7-08's. Every customer has thanked me for the suggestion and every one has commented on the great accuracy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 300 Blackout, and it is rapidly becoming one of my favorite rifles. I killed a decent little public land 8pt this year with a 110gr Sierra Varminter HP, and it worked very, very well. While the stock isnt my most favorite part of the gun, I am sure not going to strap it into a heavy turd wood stock. I may eventually buy an MDT LSS chassis for it, which will also allow me to use the AICS pattern mags as opposed to the somewhat crappy Ruger mags.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you. I wasn't sure about the forearm length. Now that I know it's the same length I'm good to go.

Boolit Master
    I have the blackout also it's surprising how accurate it is. The stock is not to flexible on mine which I have been playing around with various bullet weighs in both cast and jacketed. Hornady 150 gr spire point will put 5 shots at a 100 yards you can cover with a nickel and I have 2 loads for the Lyman 311359 115 gr GC sp sonic and subsonic. I'm waiting to try the lee 311 155 gr GC and see how it works. I know what they are saying about stock flex I had a predator model that was flexing. Now that I have some feedback on the boyds stock I might upgrade but the factory stock I have is fine. I have learned that flexing can vary from stock to stock.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought the Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have had it twice to the range and have around 60 rounds thru it. About half of the groups are at or under an inch at 100 yards.
    The metal surfaces of the action are smooth but not polished and it takes a bit for them to improve. The trigger is adjustable but mine won't go less than 3.5 pounds. I will give it more time and see if it improves.
    I bought mine thru Davidson's Gallery of Guns and it was delivered to a local shop. Cost me $359 out the door for the gun. Spent another $38 for a spare magazine. A gun from Davidson's also carries a lifetime warranty.
    I like the 70 degree bolt lift and the 3 locking lugs. I plan on buying another in left hand and either 308 or 7-08. The Predator is right hand bolt but works well for this lefty off the bench.

Boolit Master
    It's a very nice stock and was very easy to bed but does take away the very light feel of the rifle which I was totally okay with. I have pretty fat hands and it took awhile for me to get comfortable with the pistol grip because it is a little thick. I am very happy with the stock and have no regrets about the purchase of this one or the one on my 308.
    That's good to hear. I've got a new can in jail, might pick up a second American to go with it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen several videos like about that the shooter fills in the forend. So far I haven't seen a need but have not shot it off a bipod yet. In the booklet that comes with the gun Ruger goes into what they don't want you to do, like sanding out the forend, etc., before sending it to them if it is not meeting what you think it should for accuracy. I am going to leave mine as bought for now.

Mine shot great but feeding was erratic. My daughters was flawless. Both were .243. A great rifle for the small cost and a wood stock and single stage trigger would really improve it IMO.

Boolit Master
    Single stage trigger , perhaps this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxq2vlwqhIM

http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/R...FIRE--P66.aspx

Any idea how many pounds in a Boyd's wood stock? For a few dollars more they will adjust the length of pull which is excellent.

MDT LSS chassis looks interesting but costly and not sure it works for the 300 Blackout after brief reading of the website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast