Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington 700 BDL EXPERTS NEEDED

Banned

Remington 700 BDL EXPERTS NEEDED

Got the wife a used Remington 700 BDL in 22-250 . Trying to cypher the date code on the barrel. Its showing BK 71 on the left side of the barrel. On the right side it shows a triangle turned 90 degrees that has a "H" inside it and to the right of that there is a oval with REP inside the oval to the right of that is a small "D" and to the right of that some kind of mark I cannot make out. I have visited the pages showing Remington date codes and there isn't anything there that is showing a BK. This gun is an older 22-250 probably within several years of the cartridge being brought out. I would like to know the date code if possible as well as the twist rate. The serial shows C64XXXXX

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga

Got the wife a used Remington 700 BDL in 22-250.

Trying to cypher the date code on the barrel.

Its showing BK 71 on the left side of the barrel.

I have visited the pages showing Remington date codes and there isn't anything there that is showing a BK.

I would like to know the date code if possible as well as the twist rate.

You've evidently visited the wrong pages.

FYI:

"B" = April

"K" = 1963

[EDIT: My bad - I didn't look far enough down the listing....... Remington used the Letter "K" date code (and several other letters) for multiple years. 1990 is correct. http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/reming...ture-2164.html ]

The rifling twist rate should be 1:14"

Last edited by pietro; 12-05-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers of firearms would just put the date on the rifle? Nothing more complicated than the dates as stamped on the case heads of military ammo.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Why would a bunch of paper shuffling pencil pushers want to make something simple?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    There was no 22-250 in 1963. It was introduced about 1965.

BK is going to be 1990 probably. The letter will repeat about every 26 years.
    EDG

Banned
    You beat me to it. The info I was able to pull up said in 65 Remington started manufacturing the 22-250. So, 1990 it is. Thanks.

I always call Remington Customer Service, give them the model & serial number, and within seconds they give me the date of manufacture. 800-243-9700. Best, Thomas.

Banned
    Did some additional checking on 700 Remingtons and came up with the following. ADL== blind magazine, BDL==has floor plate, CDL== better wood, CDL DM detachable magazine, CDL SC ==stainless action fluted barrel, SPS== floor plate synthetic stock

Banned
    So a 700 remington with a floor plate and a blk synthetic stock is a 700 Remington SPS?

SPS is Special Purpose Synthetic. ADL-A (A-grade) Deluxe, BDL- B deluxe, CDL-C Deluxe. The ADL is the cheapest of the 700 series. Blind magazine cheaper stock. BDL was the nicest, drop magazine, iron sights and gloss finish stock. CDL came out last with oiled walnut stock and several configurations, DBM, Mtn rifle etc. I don't really think they stick to the A, B, C grade thing anymore. I would think "A" grade would be the nicest, but so it goes. There are a bunch of different models nowdays, XCR, XHR, Mtn SS, DBM, LS, LSS and on and on. I have a LS and LSS. Laminate Stock and Laminate Stock Stainless. One of the best shooting rifles I own is a SPS Stainless in 25-06. Then there is the Classic series. A different caliber offered each year, from 1981-2005 I have a 257 Roberts (1982) and 8mm Rem Mag (1998) and my Uncle has 35 Whelen (1988).

Boolit Master
    I can usually tell by the stock design and can pick an early one out every time. Early ones don't have jeweled bolt I believe.

Boolit Master
    Some signs of early production in 700s:
    A different (taller) contour to the safety button.
    A metal butt plate.
    A striker that extends beyond the rear of the bolt shroud in the fired position.

I like very early 700s - they are my favorite of the Remington bolt guns.

Uncle R.