Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butcher's Knives & A Steel Sharpener...

My knife sharpening skillz are about like my guitar playing skillz - as in nonexistant. Very frustrating. I have a Work Sharp, not real impressed.

I'm about to break down and buy a Lansky system on eBay.....

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Bub
    40 yrs a meatcutter here. To me the word "hone" indicated metal has been removed from blade. A quality steel does not remove metal from blade, it merely straightens the edge. Some so called "sharpening steels" are not steel, but a ceramic composition rod shaped like a steel. The do sharpen a blade and do a quick good job of it. Sometimes though you just gotta put the blade to the stone.

Boolit Master
    DO NOT put knives in the dishwasher...no matter how nice n clean it gets them..... the heat changes stuff up the temper and they will forever after be a right mongrel to get and keep sharp

green river is a great brand..victorinox are ok but not my cuppa tea..f dick is good too biggest thing is find what suits YOU
    The sub $20 bacho bought at shop counter of most hardware stores are an awesome wee knife also sold at 3x the price with MORA brand on them..the angle they are sharpened from new just works.....and when they get dull...2 deer and one hog later....a quick strop/steel or stone has them back to good again..heck you can rubb them on bullbars on the vechille and restraighten the edge if needed... the description on wee chrystals on edge is good one..feather edge is better/another way to describe it...think of a hacksaw blade,with the teeth themsleves flexible...with use/abuse the teeth get pushed over,what a steel does is bend them back into line...the stone regrooves them and a strop fine tunes the bendy bit...

Boolit Grand Master

Dishwashers are hard on knives for various reasons. Changing the temp from heat is not one of them. Dishwashers operate between 130 and 140 degrees with a rinse cycle of 150 to180 degrees. 180 degrees is far short of being able to change the temper of carbon steel or SS.

Autoclaves for sterilizing surgical instruments may reach 320 degrees.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-22-2023 at 09:55 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I went thru many sharpeners, have two old strops from my grandad and even bought the very costly Wicked Edge Sharpener that works super but costly. Mostly, I use a pawn shop bench grinder I installed paper wheels on; very fast and easy when the Wife says her knives are dull. I think these paper wheels are the easy way for any novice to get that sharp edge they are looking for, and at a low cost of investment. The kits available with these paper wheels come with all you need for a bench grinder and they will sharpen any pocket knife or hunting knife or kitchen knife doing a great job in just a few minutes. The learning curve is very easy as well and in no time you have a nice sharp edge that lasts quite awhile. When first trying the wheels, my Wife got me a few unwanted knives from the church kitchen that becomes a dumping ground for about anything kitchen related and by using them first, I learned how to get a great edge before sharpening my own knives. Of course I sharpened all the church knives as well and the ladies were very happy!
    - On my work bench, I have an old vertical belt grinder that had been in a welding shop, one that uses those wide belts. I use it for axes, lawn mower blades, brush hog blades etc. Changing belts it works great for sharpening large knives and have even made a couple large knives using old files..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12