Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The loss of a great dog

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    God spelled backward is DOG
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    It rips your heart evey time ,but you did the right thing if only we could do the same for people too,watched my father die for two years and couldn't help at all ,knew what he wanted and it wasn't that.

My condolences to you and your family. There is nothing like the loss of a great family dog and something that stays with you for a long time. That said I could not imagine a life without a dog or two and am sure you'll find another friend when the time is right.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Buddy

So sorry for your loss. As I have said before, I was a wreck after we lost one almost 3 years ago. I needed a pup to fill the void. Prayers will be said for you

Boolit Buddy
    I am so, so sorry. I had to put Jack down my Golden Retriever in September. I loved that dog and still tear up when I think of him. My new pup Ruby helps with the pain as I couldn't be with out a dog.

Boolit Buddy

We have lost many over the years. I remember all of them and still mourn. The only solution for us is to get another dog and having two is better than just one.

Frosted Boolits

Thinking about you Snuffy! It is never easy to lose such a good friend. We lost our Miniature Pinscher a few months ago. It didn't take us but a month or so to get another dog. It helps but nothing ever fills that void when you lose one you have loved for so long. My wife and I both said that we wouldn't get another dog for awhile after we lost the Min Pin. But one Saturday at the local farmers market a rescue had a booth set up and there was this cute little black dog...and the rest is history LOL!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161110_155036.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	181997
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    It's always hard to lose a good friend, whether they have 2 legs or 4.

I hope your path through this tough time is short.
    The enemy of good is better.

In Remembrance

The onliest 'reason' I don't have yet another BFF yellow Lab is that I'm too old to properly give the care and exercise responsibly required. Earnest condolences to all on your loss: BTDT. Thank You, Lord, for Rainbow Bridge.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    God spelled backward is DOG
    That might sound irreverent, but shows something significant. Those are about the simplest monosyllables anybody can utter. Maybe God at the time was just somebody who required sacrifices, an impressive idol or keeping your fingers crossed while you lied. Maybe the dog was just a wolf that had learned following the hunters and helping with his sense of smell was better business than waiting for a child to visit the outside toilet at night. Both came very early in our evolution, and both have grown with us.

Human euthanasia is a whole other subject. There can be cases where it does good, and other cases where someone hates being a burden to his family, and needs to know it's because alternative arrangements are unthinkable. A dog doesn't know it is thinkable.

It is a good idea to get another dog when you feel you can be comfortable with it, though not to force yourself or listen to the well-intentioned sooner than that. A very different kind of dog can be a good idea in those circumstances, as indeed when you introduce a new dog into the family. A friend of mine worked on a long engineering contract in Istanbul, and brought home a monstrous post-pubescent mastiff. (The Turkish government bans the export of the pure-bred article, but I think one had conducted a misalliance.) He had two ¾-bred greyhound lurchers on the farm, one a female to excite jealousy (spayed, but it isn't all hormones with dogs), and both males were still in possession of the family jewels. They started out extremely hostile, but Merlin wouldn't have had a chance in a confined space and Yogi the Bear wouldn't have had a chance on open ground. So they had to work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    The onliest 'reason' I don't have yet another BFF yellow Lab is that I'm too old to properly give the care and exercise responsibly required. Earnest condolences to all on your loss: BTDT. Thank You, Lord, for Rainbow Bridge.
    We, and our dogs are older and we will probably out-live them, but can't be without at least one dog. Our solution will be to adopt senior dog/dogs at the shelter. Often overlooked and often no adoption fee. We've lived with Collies, Bulldogs, Boxers, Golden Retrievers, Border Collies, Koolies, and mutts of almost every description, so we're not even picky. A former neighbor even had Pit Bulls that we loved having around. The wife would go over and get them to play with our dogs in the yard. They weren't well fed or taken care of and the male was an escape artist who would run up the road past our place. We'd see him and holler for him, he'd stop dead on the first yell and look around, the second brought him running full speed to our front porch for some food and water, and some petting. We weren't too sorry to see the neighbors move, but the dogs were welcome to stay...

Boolit Grand Master
    so very sorry for your loss
    may you find peace
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    We, and our dogs are older and we will probably out-live them, but can't be without at least one dog. Our solution will be to adopt senior dog/dogs at the shelter. Often overlooked and often no adoption fee. We've lived with Collies, Bulldogs, Boxers, Golden Retrievers, Border Collies, Koolies, and mutts of almost every description, so we're not even picky. A former neighbor even had Pit Bulls that we loved having around. The wife would go over and get them to play with our dogs in the yard. They weren't well fed or taken care of and the male was an escape artist who would run up the road past our place. We'd see him and holler for him, he'd stop dead on the first yell and look around, the second brought him running full speed to our front porch for some food and water, and some petting. We weren't too sorry to see the neighbors move, but the dogs were welcome to stay...
    In Victorian times the English bulldog was a lighter, more agile dog which still had a pretty lethal temperament. Nowadays they are just amiable buffoons, not scared of much, but who love everybody. It is ironic that they have been well served by the breeders in the matter of temperament, but badly in physique, with a frog-shaped body, severe breathing problems and tendency to overweight. I worry every time our neighbour's plays with my Irish terrier, in case something happens, but fortunately he knows his limits after a minute or two.

They could have made pit bull terriers just as good on the score of temperament, if a few weren't bred and owned for fighting, and a lot more by propeller-heads who get their rocks off on their dog's supposed aggression.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1286.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	182065 Here us my newest puppy . I still have his Grandfather who at the age of 14 is blind and very hard of hearing but still likes to chase a rabbit when he is exercising. What a great hunting companion he was. It looks like Junior is following in his footsteps.

Boolit Buddy
    I lost my dog Sam last July. I know how u feel and all I can do is say im sorry. Dogs are our best friends and so hard to see leave us.

Boolit Master
    Getting another dog is not an effort or meant to replace your best friend but, there is a gap in your life that a new dog can fill. Timber is the one we got to fill that gap after Sammy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrinceSam.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	182087went on the Rainbow Bridge.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Arrow could've been our Goldie's sibling ! Wife still won't let me get another. Understand the hurt - just got to think there's a place in Heaven for those special dogs.

My Heart is broken for you and I have a lump in my throat. I know in my heart that the God Lord will have him waiting .
    I am praying at this moment.

Boolit Master
    So very sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    In Victorian times the English bulldog was a lighter, more agile dog which still had a pretty lethal temperament. Nowadays they are just amiable buffoons, not scared of much, but who love everybody. It is ironic that they have been well served by the breeders in the matter of temperament, but badly in physique, with a frog-shaped body, severe breathing problems and tendency to overweight. I worry every time our neighbour's plays with my Irish terrier, in case something happens, but fortunately he knows his limits after a minute or two.

They could have made pit bull terriers just as good on the score of temperament, if a few weren't bred and owned for fighting, and a lot more by propeller-heads who get their rocks off on their dog's supposed aggression.
    I fully agree with you here. Our first English Bulldog was typical of the breed, the second was a mystery. That dog would go, and go, and go...to a point long after you would think a Bulldog would tire, then suddenly plop down wherever she was and rest, (usually right in front of myself or wife seemingly to trip us). One day she took a dive off the steps for some reason, landed about half way down, rolled and tumbled the rest of the way to the first floor, slid across the floor and crashed into the wall. I've no idea what that was about. She also lived almost twice the normal age for a Bulldog, over 14 years.

There was a time in America when the American Pit Bull Terrier was the dog of choice for families with children. "Petie" the dog in "The Little Rascals" series of shorts was just such a dog. It's a shame the "propeller heads" as you call them use them as a symbol of aggression and testosterone, teach them to be mean and aggressive. My personal experience with them is limited, but positive through the two who lived down the road, all they wanted in life was to be fed regularly and loved. They didn't listen much to the propeller head who owned them, but I never had a problem getting them to come and obey, but then we probably fed and cared for them more than their owner did. Can't stand to see a dog, kid, or old person neglected or abused.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast