Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading for a trapdoor

Boolit Buddy

Loading for a trapdoor

Today I picked up my first 45/70 a 1873 1888 Springfield. In beautiful condition and looking forward to shooting it. Just wondering about what to pick up to load some blackpowder and maybe sometimes smokeless. When you read the different boards you can become really confused. Just need to get a bullet mold and after just making and purchase it will be a lee. Question is the 340 or 405....kind of planed on the 405 hollow base to start. That's what is it my basket to purchase right now along with a set of dies and some Missouri bullet 459dia 405gr bullets to get started until I can pour some. Or should I go with lighter ones to start. I've shoot lots of blackpowder in my cap and balls...hawken...fowler as I have quite a few but loading brass is a new game.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    72 gr of 2f, a .030 fiber wad and seat your 405 gr bullet cast from 16-1 to the driving band. That's what the gun was built around.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Most original TD measure .460" to 467". The advice to slug the bore is thrown out more the need at times, however, due to the wide variance in TD's slugging is highly recommend. The hollow base Lee tends to work well in all the TD's. Until I knew the bore size I would only recommend the Lee Hollow Base.

I recommended I get Spencer and Pat Wolf's 3rd Edition book, "Loading Cartridges For The 45-70 Springfield Rifle And Carbine". It's a treasure trove of information from many years of research performed by Spencer and Pat over the years. It is available from his widow Pat at Wolf's Western Traders at www.the45-70book.com.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Scroll to the bottom of the trapdoor website ... http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/shooterstext.html
    Regards
    John

Easy going load is 300 gr boolit, sized to fit groove dia. + .001" cast to BHN 10-12 over 15 gr Trail Boss. I use that in my Remington RB and Sharps but it is recommended as a TD level load. I like that 72 gr FFg and 405 gr. load...I will be trying that. SPG lube?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I recommended I get Spencer and Pat Wolf's 3rd Edition book, "Loading Cartridges For The 45-70 Springfield Rifle And Carbine". It's a treasure trove of information from many years of research performed by Spencer and Pat over the years. It is available from his widow Pat at Wolf's Western Traders at www.the45-70book.com.
    Absolutely!

The Lee 405HB work well in my TD cast of 40:1.

Boolit Master

Wow, is SPG messy to use. There are others that are less goopy.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Bub
    +1 on the Wolf book and on trapdoorcollector.com. There is a lot of good info in both.

Mine shoots well with the 405 gr Lee HB. It is more accurate with a 500 grain round nose, but that uses more lead and it does kick more. I do not size them, but shoot them as cast, about .461. It is amazing what these old rifles will do out to 3 and 400 yards once you get the ammo right and get used to it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I went with a 405 HB from Lee, as that was the design for the Trapdoor. I can get pretty close to 1.5" from the bench at 100 yards. I think I'm loading 14 gr. Rex 3, Unique in about the same amount works the same. Very light recoil. I powder coated my bullets, no problems.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I slugged my bore but it seems hard to get a good measurement of it. Looks to be about .460 but did get one reading of .461 so should be good to go. I have been thinking about powder coating also to stop worrying about leading but I'll see. I have soft lead on hand but no tin to add to it. Dont know where to get some but sure I can. would a little bit of of hard cast or wheel weigh do it. Getting excited to give it a go kind of like when I started muzzleloading. Sure it's just as addictive....great just what I need.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been loading HSM 405gr cast over 35gr IMR4895 with 1-1.5 oz Dacron filler. Works great in my infantry Trapdoor. This is per Larry Gibson.

For the Trapdoor carbine (22" barrel) I'm using 22gr IMR4198 with same bullet and filler.

Both loads are mild and very close to the original 45-70 & 45-55 black powder loads.

Boolit Master
    There is More than enough Info on every website and Book. on Trapdoor Loads.
    That Is even a better reason Not to use Black Powder In it. . smokeless is The only way to Go in My opinion. . Get any Old Lyman Data. and You have It.. I strictly shoot 405 Gn. .458-459. Slugging The bore Is a waste Of time. Just Load and shoot
    That's it
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    If the charge your using pretty much fills the case do you need a filler. I've read both so it gets pretty confusing. Some say it's dangerous to use fill while others do it all the time. I'd just like to get a powder that pretty much fills case. Sure it's cheaper to shoot 15gr of unique but 40gr of something else seems safer from charging and filling aspect. Will shoot blackpowder just because I'm a muzzle loader shooter also. Would like the options of having both in a accurate load until I settle on my favorite.

Boolit Buddy
    Wolfe designed the Lee 405 gr HB boolit for the trapdoor and the proper diameter is .458-459 just like the original ammo. Mine shot well with this boolit over Unique or black loaded per Wolf's method. IMHO: the bore diameters on the 45-70 trapdoor were very uniform as long as the bore was not worn or damaged by cleaning. Lots of people report bore size variations because it's nearly impossible to get accurate measurements on a slug with an odd number of land impressions unless you have a very rare anvil mic designed for this purpose. This could be the source of the reported bore size variations. Springfield Armoury was never that sloppy. Doesn't matter since the correct boolit diameter is .458-459.

Boolit Grand Master

I first got into TD's in the late 60's when Dad was a member of the 7th Calvary re-enactment group. Through the years i have measured 50 or 60 plus bores on both rifles and carbines. I have been a machinist/tool maker for close to 40 years. Most I have measured are .461" to .462" but I have seen as large as .467". I had an almost unfired 1888 that measured .465".

The H&R repros shot great with .458'-459" bullets. Every original I own prefers .462" to .465" bullets.

So good info here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...llet-diameters
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-07-2016 at 02:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I slugged my barrel the other day but getting a measurement was pretty much all over. Mostly though it looked like .460 but one reading of .461

Whatever you do please let us know how it goes, exciting isn't it?!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes it is and it's supposed to rain here in northern California this weekend. One break and I'll be out. He she is unfortunately someone refinished it in the past sometime. She should still be a good shooter though.

New to a trapdoor but excited to get her out to the range. Just wanted to show it off and see if anyone sees any problems. Dates in 1888 but looks like some one had maybe refinished it at least the wood. Was worried because I didn't see a cartouche on stock but getting it in the sun today I can see where there was one and maybe just thinned down. Has the cleaning rod you have to lift out of slot to remove. Haven't taken completely apart yet but will do that soon. Might shoot some light smokeless loads but being a muzzeloader shooter want to try to stick with mostly blackpowder. Don't have any 2f right now just 3f and 4f so probably this weekend will be smokeless. Thanks for any suggestions.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a nice one, even has the Buffington sight.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethemgo View Post
    If the charge your using pretty much fills the case do you need a filler. I've read both so it gets pretty confusing. Some say it's dangerous to use fill while others do it all the time. I'd just like to get a powder that pretty much fills case...
    If the powder fills the case why would you need filler? Filler is just to keep the powder against the primer.

With black powder the case must be filled with a slight compression. Any air gap will cause a pressure spike.

With smokeless powder a filler like Dacron or kapok is not dangerous because they compress easy. Some use grain based filler like cream of wheat, corn meal and such. The problem with these type of fillers is if the cartridge is stored it can draw moisture then filler swells and hardens. It's really a problem with bottle neck cases not sure what effect it has on the 45-70 case.

I use Dacron because it was easy to obtain (wife's sewing supplies). We don't keep corn meal or cream of wheat in the cupboard. I also like the idea of something that keeps the powder against the primer but compresses easily. Dacron is the answer for me.

One other thing I've done is to enlarge the flash hole in the case to the next larger bit in my drill index... So I found the drill bit that would go through the flash hole then took the next larger bit in the index and drilled them out but no larger. This was to give a more uniform ignition. I'd have to go look at my notes to see what that was. This is only done for smokeless reloads because I don't reload black powder...

BTW, very nice looking TD!
    Last edited by tbx-4; 12-07-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast