Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1895

Banned

Marlin 1895

One showed up in a LGS today, has the button safety, unfortunately, but does have Ballard rifling rather than Micro Groove which is a plus. They are asking $499.99, which seems like a good deal. It had scope bases and wasn't mint, but was very good.

Is this a good asking price? One of the Marin levers in .45-70 has been on my "someday I will have" list a long time and I have gotten the itch to do more with the .45-70 lately.

Boolit Buddy
    If it was a caliber I liked I would grab it.

Boolit Buddy
    That's what I gave for my 1895 with Williams aperature installed. Going rate for good condition.

$500 is a fair price, if you were in Ohio you wouldn't buy it for that. JM Marlins in Ohio deer legal
    calibres are at a premium. I have a 95 that I've had for over 40yrs, it's micro groove. Before we
    got rifle season it was a fun gun. All I ever shot was a Ideal 330gr Gould Express, cast hard. Even
    though it's Micro Groove it shoots cast fine. I went to 300JHPs and Scope for deer. The only regret
    I have is scoping it, the Lyman 66 reciever sight that I shot for years would have served me better. Going to put it back on before next season.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it the long barrel "cowboy" or short barreled Guide gun or ?? I would love to find any of them, if in good shape, for much less than $500.

Marlins are real easy to slick up and tune triggers, and Good news and bad news is the light weight of Marlins in 45-70. Nice to carry in the woods, but pretty good recoil if you are doing a lot of shooting with full loads.

Banned

I think I may go back and do some dealing with these guys. Oddly, they had a Ruger #1 in .45-70 on the same rack.

I wish this Marlin were older, but it does have a longer barrel, not the guide gun.

If the price is good and you want the gun then don't sweat the CBS, a lot of people either leave it off or delete it altogether. If you buy it make sure to post photos!
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    One showed up in a LGS today, has the button safety, unfortunately, but does have Ballard rifling rather than Micro Groove which is a plus. They are asking $499.99, which seems like a good deal. It had scope bases and wasn't mint, but was very good.

Is this a good asking price? One of the Marin levers in .45-70 has been on my "someday I will have" list a long time and I have gotten the itch to do more with the .45-70 lately.
    What is "wrong" with micro groove barrels?
    They tend to run a little bigger but if you accommodate that with cast, they shot like lasers.
    My 94 44MAG is touching 5k rounds after i got it and i have never cleaned it:

Boolit Master
    If you get it and can't stand the side button safety let me know, there is a guy / company that makes an insert to replace the safety that looks like just another screw.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Vendor Sponsor

That safety is a non issue, just put an o ring on the left side and you will forget all about it. Or you can get one of the Replacement "screws" that take it out all together.

$500 for a Marlin 1895 CB in decent condition is a pretty good deal. Even if the wood is bland it can easily be refinished. And the actions can be slicked up easily using the instructions at Leverguns.com

New ones are more like $800 now and their Custom Rifles are more like $1450 so there is a lot of room for rework if the gun is not perfect.

These guns are generally good shooters with the right loads but at 7 lbs they will kick the snot out of you with heavy loads. I put a Gray-Coil Recoil Reducer in mine which brought the weight up to 8 lbs and also installed a 1" thick Pachmayer Recoil Pad.

Shoot RCBS .45-300FNGC which in my case comes out at 341 gr with 33 gr of 5744 and that is about as much as I can tolerate and still shoot a 40 round match. I could live thru a few 400 gr heavy loads but there would be pain associated with it.

These guns are the best bang for the buck out there as there is nothing comparable available in that price range and you will pay $1400+ for a Winchester 86 in that caliber.

I would seriously recommend buying it if you are interested, as someone else will, if you don't.

Here's a pic of mine after wood refinish and internal deburring. Excellent shooter!!! I have $700 in it and $150 of that was for the Lyman 66LA Rear Sight I got off Ebay.

Please don't let the naysayers dissuade you from this gun. There is so much BS around about these guns out there it is ridiculous, and you aren't going to find a pre-safety gun for anything close to that money and even then it will probably not be a Ballard Rifled gun. Very few of these guns, and I don't care when they were made, don't need significant work to make them nice. There was nothing magic about the JM Marlin guns, and I have them too. They just had less machine work and more "Hand Work," however lots of that "hand work" was not all that. :takinWiz:

If you look at it like that you'll be happy.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-06-2016 at 05:46 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    An acquaintance of mine who shoots competition likes his a lot and recommended it as a good way to get into long range BPCR.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a B0 serial numbered 1895 and love it.

Boolit Bub
    Which one did you get? A 1895 here in southern WV is 500.00 a little less if it has some cosmetic issues.
    "That's bold talk for a one eyed fat man" Lucky Ned Pepper

Boolit Grand Master

Buy it yet? I bought an almost new one like it (a Remlin, no less) and it's one fine shooter. Not much to look at but I can live with that.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

I have a BO made in 1972. Its a good deer and fun gunClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140116_204559.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	183334
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Boolit Master

What is a B0 serial numbered gun?

I have an 1895 Cowboy in .45-70. Lovely with that octagon barrel. It does kick like a mule.

Boolit Buddy
    BO is the date code and first 2 digits of the serial number. Most marlins can be dated by serial numbet code. Charts on the interwebs.

Boolit Master

OK, I've not been successful in finding when my rifle was made. The serial number is 9912xxxx.

Boolit Buddy
    2001 for 99
    Marlinowners.com in the reference section is the chart I used.

Boolit Master
    Rich, Get it! I have a similar one that I shoot Trail Boss under 330-405 gr Lee boolits. It is fun and doesn't hurt to shoot.The safety button cand be a pain if you forget to take it off.