RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Best way to get the previously lubed bullets clean before PC

Boolit Master

Best way to get the previously lubed bullets clean before PC

I want to get the clean so the PC will stick. I've tried boiling them in water and dish soap and then a wash in acetone. Still not there. What do you guys recommend?
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Tumble lube them and shoot em up. Then cast up some fresh ones.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    You will have so much effort into cleaning that you could have melted and recast them quicker.

Boolit Mold
    Boiling water and dish soap with a final rinse in mineral spirits. I tried acetone but MS worked better for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

MS it is. I'll try that tomorrow.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I swished mine around in a coffee can with some gas til they looked clean. Then the same treatment in some acetone to remove the gas. Then tumbled in HF red after they dried. (fast, takes maybe 15 minutes to dry at most) They turned out fine.

I have had some of these where I did have to retumble and rebake, but they are even better on the second coat.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    You will have so much effort into cleaning that you could have melted and recast them quicker.
    They were not cast bullets in the first place...they are commercial swaged bullets, likely pure lead, not exactly ideal for cast bullets. He may as well have shot them the way they were.

Boolit Master

they must be related:
    both have same last 'name:' 333
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

I had that situation. A friend gave me a bunch, (about 400 - 500) I just put them in my smelting pot on top of a turkey cooker. Then I fluxed the pot about 3-4 times and cast ingots.

Banned

most commercial swaged bullets are NOT pure lead.
    you'd be surprised at how much antimony is in them.
    if tankgunner59 could test his ingots BHN it will tell a different tale than 5 BHN pure lead.

Boolit Man
    I get my lube off my bullets by putting them in a pot and heating it to about 700 degrees.
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyHev View Post
    I get my lube off my bullets by putting them in a pot and heating it to about 700 degrees.
    Im starting to think this may be the best way. Gas didnt do much......

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    As Beagle suggested: Soak them in gasoline for a few hours, repeat with fresh gas, then acetone wash. It has always worked for me, if that doesn't work for you, then I would just salvage the lead.

Boolit Master

I'll try it one last time with a longer soak. I got nothing to loose.

Benjamin Franklin