Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: muzzle brake/compensator recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchninja View Post
    JP enterprise Recoil Eliminator I put one of these on my encore in 30-06. You could put the butt stock to your nose and not feel a thing. insanely effective.
    Did this change your point of impact or group size?
    How much louder is the weapon?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I recently purchased a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 308. While I can handle the recoil just fine, I was wondering what muzzle brake/compensator you would recommend. I don't want to lose any of my accuracy by doing this.
    The rifle comes pre threaded in 5/8x24. All I would need is the device and a crush washer.
    Is there a specific design that works significantly better than the others?
    Take a few minutes and watch this: https://youtu.be/SNhZiKWDCdY

Krinkov type, Noveske Pig, KAK Flash Can, the muzzle blast deflector is your friend! Made all the difference in the world on my AR pistols and 300 BLK single shot pistol. (Max loads of 110/296 were obnoxious without it)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

It decreased my groups due to the fact that i wasn't pulling the trigger in anticipating the recoil. With the light gun the recoil was not horrendous but it was stout. I put that on and its no different than shooting a .223.

Noise and blast is directed out 90 degrees so you don't want to be standing on either side. The noise wasn't increased too bad, the brake on my SCAR17 is louder / worse. JMO

Youtube Video on a 7.82 warbird - not the greatest video but it shows the recoil reduction well towards the end.

on a 300WM

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dutchninja; 12-12-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Boolit Master

It decreased my groups due to the fact that i wasn't pulling the trigger in anticipating the recoil. With the light gun the recoil was not horrendous but it was stout. I put that on and its no different than shooting a .223.
    You bring up an interesting point Dutchninja. It is my belief (former LE firearms instructor and SF SOTIC Level II instructor) that more shooters flinch from the report of the weapon than they do the actual recoil. It's not always the case, but it is a constant factor in retraining shooters that are flinching.

Of course a muzzle brake really ups the decibel level of each shot and the audio overload to the nervous system which is conducive to instilling a flinch. I like the idea of that Krinkov device. I might put one on my AR15 varmint rifle. What is not mentioned in the video is that the added weight out front on the muzzle (enhanced by the Moment of Weight... ask an aircraft load master) will help to stabilize the rifle in offhand shooting.

Taz, any weight or device on the barrel that retards or exacerbates your barrel harmonics has the ability to change your point of impact and the weapons grouping ability. That was the intent of the Winchester/Browning Boss device that was adjustable to tune the harmonics of the barrel.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-13-2016 at 12:30 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Taz, any weight or device on the barrel that retards or exacerbates your barrel harmonics has the ability to change your point of impact and the weapons grouping ability. That was the intent of the Winchester/Browning Boss device that was adjustable to tune the harmonics of the barrel.
    I was wondering about that, particularly since there is no real way of adjusting/tuning it once it is installed. I didn't know if it would throw things off or improve them. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see what it does. Different devices may effect things differently also.
    As usual there are trade offs in everything.
    Apparently there is no magic pill here either. If it makes the rifle more controllable, I can live with the extra noise and just shoot it when no one else is there to be disturbed by the blast.
    I use double hearing protection at all times anyway.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I was wondering about that, particularly since there is no real way of adjusting/tuning it once it is installed. I didn't know if it would throw things off or improve them. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see what it does. Different devices may effect things differently also.
    As usual there are trade offs in everything.
    Apparently there is no magic pill here either. If it makes the rifle more controllable, I can live with the extra noise and just shoot it when no one else is there to be disturbed by the blast.
    I use double hearing protection at all times anyway.
    Taz, check out this link for the Boss system. While it's an add, it does explain the harmonics issue well.

http://www.browning.com/support/freq...ss-system.html
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-13-2016 at 10:42 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

I used the BOSS system for my savage 338 lapua and really liked it. Not much recoil reduction, but lots of noise reduction at the shooter's position.

When I sold the rifle the receiving party sent me a note that made me chuckle: "Why'd you put a flash hider on it?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12