Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muzzle brake/compensator recommendations?

muzzle brake/compensator recommendations?

I recently purchased a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 308. While I can handle the recoil just fine, I was wondering what muzzle brake/compensator you would recommend. I don't want to lose any of my accuracy by doing this.
    The rifle comes pre threaded in 5/8x24. All I would need is the device and a crush washer.
    Is there a specific design that works significantly better than the others?

Boolit Grand Master
    The one I have is no longer made. One caution.....they will make th gun a LOT louder

Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The one I have is no longer made. One caution.....they will make th gun a LOT louder

Don Verna
    Or it could be suppressed which can decrease group size as well as make it more pleasant to be around.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    The recoil would go to almost zero, but no one will want to be near you with it. One shot without hearing protection from my Weatherby with the brake makes my ears ring for half hour. Don't bother with the brake unless you really need to damp recoil.

I have been around the short barreled AR rifles with the flash suppressors so I know about the noise factor. I have no experience with how much the recoil would be reduced or what effect it would have on group size.

Banned

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/910...eel-parkerized

The 223 one works amazingly well.

Or the one I used to use on my 308 is from Ross Schuler. http://rossmuzzlebrakes.com/index.html

I have a barrel coming back from him right now from being threaded.

Banned

I will say that these will piss off anyone near you they are so loud

Boolit Buddy
    Look at Wittmachine.com. They have both the slip on and threaded. I use the slip on on my Savage 308 and couldn't make it without it. Shoot a couple hundred from bench a week and don't like to be knocked around. Brake allow keeping on sight and reduces recoil at least 60%. Prices are good also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Look at Wittmachine.com. They have both the slip on and threaded. I use the slip on on my Savage 308 and couldn't make it without it. Shoot a couple hundred from bench a week and don't like to be knocked around. Brake allow keeping on sight and reduces recoil at least 60%. Prices are good also.
    Thanks for posting the link. Those look interesting.
    Actually the correct link ends in .net. The dot com link goes to a page of witty remarks.

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind that most brakes need to be timed, so rather than a crush washer you'll need a peel washer. Midway has the Surefire Procomp on sale for about $45 right now, otherwise any of the single-chamber brakes will do just fine. I prefer the silencer, myself, although it does add a bit more weight.

Boolit Buddy
    Battlecomp's work very well.

Boolit Master

I can't recommend tri-delta enough. Look at the PRB blog on muzzle brake performance

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...-test-results/

The Tri-delta is sneakily good. It's got the best stack of features. Not the best anywhere, but it's in the top batch everywhere.

For recoil reduction, percieved testing is that it is very, very good. Up there with the best. It's not a junk device.

But what really sets it apart is what has already been mentioned: noise. Brakes are noisy. This one throws the sound slightly to the side. Any miniscule performance loss you get from that is more than made up for by the brake not being so loud (at the shooter's position). Add the cost and availability, and it's a no-brainer.

Boolit Master
    SJC Titan muzzle brake, Precision Armament M4-72 Severe Duty

Both are excellent brakes, the Seekins and the Miculek brakes are pretty good too.

As others mentioned, you will clear the shooting benches around you! Best double up on ear pro too!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    You have been misled if those rifles do not have a true brake.
    I have an Egyptian Hakim in 8X57 (close to a .308) and it has the issue integral brake. This is a fair size brake with large front ports and many vent holes drilled in the top. It is very effective and the recoil is reduced to about .223 level in the heavy rifle.
    However it is noisy beyond belief.
    Here is an example.
    I was shooting at an empty range with 50 benches. I was the ONLY shooter. Two *******es showed up and they had to take the bench next to me. They had the rest of the range and they had to shoot next to me. They both had Weatherbys with brakes. They dragged them out and started shooting and the muzzle blast on the covered firing line was terrific and very uncomfortable. So I got my Hakim out and started shooting. Within 10 rounds they had packed up and left.
    My range did not even allow brakes for a long time. Now I can shoot the Hakim but I never shoot it when there are other people around- unless they are inconsiderate.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have been around the short barreled AR rifles with the flash suppressors so I know about the noise factor. I have no experience with how much the recoil would be reduced or what effect it would have on group size.
    EDG

Boolit Man
    Jerry Miculek makes a mean compensator. When it comes to a compensator, the bigger the baffels the better recoil reduction. As far as I know it only comes in 223 but you could always drill it out some. Hard to beat the bang for the buck with this one. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod5573.aspx
    "America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures", use an atlas or ham radio" - Ron Swanson

Boolit Master

I used compensaters on the Barrett 50 cal rifle and the 8mm Lapua. They're a necessary evil on those rifles, but are probably one of the reasons I have Tinnitus like I do even though I tried to use double ear protection when using or spotting for these rifles. In the end, you don't get something for nothing and that's very true with compensaters.

Now that I shoot recreationally, I won't shoot near a rifle with a muzzle break.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You have been misled if those rifles do not have a true brake.
    I have an Egyptian Hakim in 8X57 (close to a .308) and it has the issue integral brake. This is a fair size brake with large front ports and many vent holes drilled in the top. It is very effective and the recoil is reduced to about .223 level in the heavy rifle.
    However it is noisy beyond belief.
    Here is an example.
    I was shooting at an empty range with 50 benches. I was the ONLY shooter. Two *******es showed up and they had to take the bench next to me. They had the rest of the range and they had to shoot next to me. They both had Weatherbys with brakes. They dragged them out and started shooting and the muzzle blast on the covered firing line was terrific and very uncomfortable. So I got my Hakim out and started shooting. Within 10 rounds they had packed up and left.
    My range did not even allow brakes for a long time. Now I can shoot the Hakim but I never shoot it when there are other people around- unless they are inconsiderate.
    That's funny and I agree Hakims are louder than a Who concert!

Tazman IMO don't get a brake. I hate them except my Cutts Comp on my '58 A5 skeet gun but it aint THAT loud. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Rather have a moderator/silencer .fired a 50 Cal in our tunnel range with a brake, no recoil but fireball and blast was huge, blew dust everywhere and lit up the tunnel .even double plugs and muffs my ears were ringing .

JP enterprise Recoil Eliminator I put one of these on my encore in 30-06. You could put the butt stock to your nose and not feel a thing. insanely effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast