MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 4 5/8" SBH Hogue grip options?

Boolit Master

4 5/8" SBH Hogue grip options?

I wanted a 4 5/8" SBH for years and finally traded into one a couple years ago. I love the little cannon except the original grips are too small for my size XL paws. Thirty rounds of mid range loads and my little finger is abraded and sore from wrapping under the grip. Twenty rounds of warmish loads and the first joint of my middle finger is purple from kissing the trigger guard. I put Hogue gummy grips on it and can shoot it all day with any load both accurately and happily.

The problem is they are UGLY, they look like someone chewed a massive amount of Halloween black bubblegum and stuck it to the grip of my gun. Hogue makes wood versions with no finger grooves, one finger groove and buncha finger grooves. Will these feel good shooting them and be less cringe worthy in appearance?

i can't seem to find a photo of them actually mounted on a SBH anywhere. Which may be a clue...

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I'm not really wanting a Bisley conversion if I can avoid it.

Vendor Sponsor

I leave the stock 1970s wooden Ruger grips on my SBH, but I wrap my middle finger with a couple turns of that stretchy bandage tape that sticks to itself, can shoot all day with that. Shooting gloves pad everything EXCEPT where a revolver strikes the shooter. Worthless.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I put Hogue Pau Ferro grips on my BFR .475, which has the same grip frame as the SBH. I shoot a 395 gr. RFN almost to firewall and they are extremely comfortable for my XL glove size hands. Had I known about them before I bought the Hogue, I would have looked into the Altamont grip company. They look really good to me. They fasten on the gun in a better way than the Hogue attachment system IMO. There's more wood at the bottom of the Hogues to allow room for the bottom grip screw which the Altamont doesn't need.

Boolit Master
    I had a set of the hogue rubber ones on my blackhawk, but took em off. They shift the way the gun sits in your hand so makes it harder to cock, not an issue in a double action, but very much one in a single action. They were simply to big. Ended up making a set for mine.

Boolit Master
    Since this is a short barrel SBH it shares the same frame as the Blackhawk/Vaquero. Sitting in the blind today with nothing moving, so after reading everyone's post I started surfing on the iPhone. I found a new set of Pau Fero single groove on Ebay for about the same price MidwayUSA wants but free shipping AND in stock instead of "special order". Plus I can return them if I don't like them. Stoopid smart phones.

We can learn one thing from Dirty Harry Callahan, "a man has got to know his limitations". Making my own grips is beyond my personal limit. But respect to them that can do it.

Boolit Master
    Making my own started as something unavoidable. I was given an old wartime Femaru, you simply cant buy grips or parts for it. So was a place to learn. I had a chunk of mahogany left over from building a guitar. I made some grips for a 1917 that came with pachmyre, wasnt willing to spend $70 on used grips for a $100 gun. So made some for it, then a Llama 357 with target grips, much easier after making others. Then finally some custom left hand grips for my blackhawk. Trick was hunting down the screw and ferrules. Yea you can buy from Ruger or S&W, but only to fit what they make. Bought me a bag full for future projects. Guess next will be some for my tokarev, and the little S&W breaktop I got recently.

Boolit Master
    Well the grips made it in today. They slipped right on and the fit is acceptable. The top of the frame sits a bit proud of the wood but it won't affect the way the gun feels in the hand. Everywhere else it looks like the grips grew around the frame. I think this grip feels better than the rubber ones did and the single groove fits my hand better. I don't cringe when I look at my pistol now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00f2f400-9c52-4e16-bf2a-f117b10cd960_zpstjgqcdpb.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	182251

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go shoot and try them out tomorrow.

In Remembrance

I have those `Uniroyal` grips from Hogue on all my Blackhawks and I like them. They fit my large hands well and don`t slip like wood grips with a finish on them. I use these Rugers for specific purposes and fast cock and shoot isn`t one of them.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Well the grips made it in today. They slipped right on and the fit is acceptable. The top of the frame sits a bit proud of the wood but it won't affect the way the gun feels in the hand. Everywhere else it looks like the grips grew around the frame. I think this grip feels better than the rubber ones did and the single groove fits my hand better. I don't cringe when I look at my pistol now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00f2f400-9c52-4e16-bf2a-f117b10cd960_zpstjgqcdpb.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	182251

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go shoot and try them out tomorrow.
    love the look of those I have a drawer full of 4 5/8 walking around guns, I'd love to try a set of those what exactly are they?

Boolit Master

I'm liking my grips a lot that http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/ made me a bit thicker then stock
    Attachment 182280
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Mag-Na-Port really works on the single actions.

Herrett's makes a fine grip for SAA type handguns. It is wood and gets the knuckle out of the way.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Yes, Hogue rubbers on a Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk are ugly.

The thing is, I've shot a variety of different grips on the bh and sbh and literally my offhand groups are cut in half when I use the Hogue rubbers. So to me an ugly gun shooting small groups is more beautiful than a pretty gun shooting big groups.

Boolit Master
    Nagantguy,

These are what I bought:
    https://www.hogueinc.com/store/produ...er-groove/3647
    Hogue's stock photo shows them on a DA revolver.

Paul H,

Now there's a revolver that's seen some of the World!

I made it to the range today and the Pau Ferro grips work just fine. The gun rolls under recoil more than with the "Uniroyal" grips but is still comfortable to shoot, just more SAAish feeling. It's actually easier to thumb the hammer with the new grips.
    Today's weather was "34 degrees but feels like 29" according to the Weather Channel. Dry cold hands aren't the best for shooting groups but I managed to hit an 8" gong at fifty yards standing offhand without drama.

If I decide to shoot a couple hundred rounds in an outing the rubber ones may go back on. For everyday carry the wood grips will work just fine.
    Last edited by Rick R; 12-08-2016 at 04:35 PM.