Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 Winchester?

Boolit Man

.375 Winchester?

Picked up a mint winchester 94 Big Bore in .375 winchester XTR from 79' or 80', I realized the ammo shortage for this caliber, but went ahead anyway for a fun wintertime project. Was curious if anyone has any knowledge of where to find .375 winchester brass, I have some 2.082" 38-55 brass ill be trimming down in the meantime to 2.020" and loading with cast lead. But itd be nice to get some .375 win brass for hot hunting loads.

Thanks,

Adam

Boolit Master

Lucky you! I've always thought that Model 94 in 375 would be the perfect cast boolit rifle/carbine.

As the 375 is shorter than the 38/55, I wonder if forming cases from the more common 30/30 case would be easier and cheaper.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Adam, Jamison brass is available from Captech
    http://www.captechintl.com/products.php?cat=7&pg=5
    If they show out of stock, they'll have more in a few days.
    As far as bullets, I use Vollmer:
    https://vollmer-bullets.myshopify.com/
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Man
    I have that brass source saved but wasnt aware they will be available so soon, how do you know?

I found those bullets as well, not bad price if theyre good bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Adam, Jamison brass is available from Captech
    http://www.captechintl.com/products.php?cat=7&pg=5
    If they show out of stock, they'll have more in a few days.
    As far as bullets, I use Vollmer:
    https://vollmer-bullets.myshopify.com/

Boolit Man
    I was hesitant to purchase it due to it being strictly a handloading proposition, but i bet you could use the .36 cal (.375 roundball) caliber cast balls for plinking loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Lucky you! I've always thought that Model 94 in 375 would be the perfect cast boolit rifle/carbine.

As the 375 is shorter than the 38/55, I wonder if forming cases from the more common 30/30 case would be easier and cheaper.

Banned

the 375449 sized to 379 will go as far as you wanna take the round.
    gas checks [Gator] are usually available here in the VS section from DJ [Blammer is the name your looking for]
    the starline 38-55 brass cut down to 375 length will work just fine.
    30-30 brass comes out too short and is a bit thin for my liking.
    AA-1680 or thereabouts is a good powder speed. [for both jacketed and cast]
    if you go up near the top end of the load data you'll see why I prefer my Marlin 375 over my Winchester 375 for the stiff loads.

Quote Originally Posted by slips73 View Post
    I have that brass source saved but wasnt aware they will be available so soon, how do you know?

I found those bullets as well, not bad price if theyre good bullets.
    because they have made 2 or three runs in the last couple of months. As they sell out, they make more. I heard that Buffalo Arms had some, too.

You can call Captech at (605)791-1974. They're in South Dakota
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Yu may have been the one bidding against me on gb if you got this gun 2-3 weeks ago for around 600

Boolit Master

Take one of those 38-55 cases and put a bullet in it with no primer and see if your action will close. Some of those early .375 winchesters seem to be able to handle the 38-55 cases. YMMV
    Heck even some of the long 38-55 cases just might work, just saying
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    Grafs has Jamison 375 Winchester brass in stock for a dollar apiece for 20.

I bought 100 yesterday for the discounted price of $95.00
    for the bag.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone have a favorite "medium" load using AA1680 and the Lee 255 boolit?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

I trim Starline 38-55 brass for my #3. Use max loads of RL7, no problems whatsoever.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Like Shdwlkr, I've found the chambers to generally be long. A fellow's Marlin 375 easily accommodates the short .38-55 brass without trimming and with room to spare. I can't say about the 2.125" length. He's been shooting full power .375 loads with it for a few years. A Lyman 375248 cast of WW's, paper-patched w/drafting vellum and sized .378 over 28gr of AA 1680 in modern .38-55 cases delivers 1.5" at 100 yards from a bench. It's a stout load, definitely deer, bear and hog worthy.

That rifle produced only indifferent pie plate groups when new, due to the bore being distinctly tighter at the breech than at the muzzle, readily apparent when slugged. Once this was lapped out, the bore was consistent and accuracy greatly improved.

Winchester makes it although you may have to wait a while for them to make a run. I feed my Marlin .375 the brass and it works just fine. I have .38-55 rifles and don't like to share brass with the .375.

Boolit Master
    My big bore is about the same vintage as you're and the chamber measures 2.100,, easily takes 3855 brass and starline is readily available. Mine shoots cloverleaf with the Lee boolit on 10gr of 20-28 powder. I treat mine like a stout 3855 , 26gr of RL7 with the 375449hp is good for 2 1/2 inches at 100( all I can do now with open sights) and all I need power wise. Mastadons are. very rare here nice rifle enjoy!i
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have the same rifle. I flared a piece of the short Starline 38-55 brass (2.080" I think) to accept 0.380" diameter bullet. Then I took the piece of flared brass and it chambered easily in my rifle. This made me think the theist must be further out and I was okay to use long brass. Since then I have been using 38-55 brass at 2.080" in my 375 for medium powered loads.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Grand Master

The 375BB was my first levergun. R5R's experience with the 375449 mirrors mine. Awesome boolit for this round! I use WW 375 brass and Rx7 powder...because I have it
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    The 2 375 94 lever flippers that have been with our rack both would freely chamber 38-55 brass.

Starline has been seller both standard and "short" 38-55 brass for some years. The notion that modern 38-55 brass will not hold together under "sane" 375 pressures need to contact Starline brass and ask the brass makers. Our rifles (3 brands) have never experienced a case failure using 38-55 brass. Granted I am not a "hot rodder" of lever guns. If I need more caliber 38 power the Ruger #3 gets warmed up or out comes the 41-444 (405 JES).
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Arms claim that their .38-55 can be used to make .375 cases, but should be kept down to about 38,000 CUP pressure - which is a good, useful load with cast bullets. The right cases in the right rifle would be good for 51,000. They say it has more capacity than .375, which fits what the database on my Loads from a Disk program says, that the thickness near the head is .019in. for .38-55, .028in, for .375 and .024in. for .30-30. I think it is safe to say that the existence of .38-55 means you are unlikely ever to be caught with a gun you can't get good use out of. But you shouldn't try for everything some people would like to do with it.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 12-10-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Master

If I recall correctly, Paco Kelly had an article a few years back on the .375 Win. He used 38-55 brass because he could put in a few more grains of powder. But then I never read one of his articles that didn't involve loading to the max.

I just looked for the article. It seems to only be in one of his books. When I did a book search, only 2 came up at very inflated prices.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast