RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Remington Pederson Designed Pump Rifle

Remington Pederson Designed Pump Rifle

If you have one of the older Remington pump rifles (14, 141, 25 etc) and take it down. It won't go back together if the bolt is not cocked.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    If you need to re-cock when the bolt is out of the gun, just catch the cocking hook over something sturdy (I use one of the hold down cutouts on the drill press table) and pull the bolt toward you.

Boolit Master
    First time I took my 141 apart I found that out the hard way too...The bolt is really interesting. I'm not sure I've seen so many machine cuts. It almost doesn't look like a bolt.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    First time I took my 141 apart I found that out the hard way too...The bolt is really interesting. I'm not sure I've seen so many machine cuts. It almost doesn't look like a bolt.
    Compared to a Winchester levergun, the Remington pumpgun is a very complex thing to make.

To cock the bolt, I caught the bolt assembly in the padded jaw of a shop vice and using a large screwdriver, pushed on the front of the striker until it caught on the sear. It is pretty easy once your figure out what to do. It took me four hours yesterday to break the code.

None of the literature or videos I have read or seen on the Remington pumpguns, told me the bolt had to be cocked before it would go back together.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Fortunately, before I attempted taking my Model 14 apart any further than just separating the receiver, I had a copy of the two-volumes-in-one "NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly" book. It doesn't come until the very end of the Model 141 reassembly instructions, but it does mention re-cocking the firing pin being necessary before reassembly. That was almost 30 years ago, and my life has been made significantly much easier and less stressful with that book on my shelf!

Boolit Master
    I think the Model 12 .22 rimfire was a better design since it used an internal hammer.

The designs of both Pederson and Garand were nightmares to produce. That is why none of them are still in production. They had too many parts and the parts were too complex.

That said the first rifle I fired more than 60 years ago was a Remington Model 12. I don't own a model 12 but I do own a mint 141 in .35 Rem.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    the whole gamemaster line was crappy,

did anyone ever figure out a way to keep them from jamming from disappearing lube on the bolt?
    Wrong. The 14,141, and later 760 "Gamemasters" are excellent firearms and I have owned several. Never a problem.
    Best, Thomas.

I know the 760 is different but it's a Gamemaster nonetheless. It got painted with your broad brush as well. Sounds like your 141 needed a doctor. I shot the snot out of mine and never cleaned or oiled it. We base our comments on our experience don't we?
    Best, Thomas.

I saw this thread at just the right time!

I've been planning on doing a complete cleaning of my Grandad's old 14 and maybe this will help me avoid at least one headache.

As for functioning, my 14 is as slick as a whistle. Only caveat I can add is that the action likes to be operated "briskly" for best results.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Master
    Something is wrong with your rifle. I shot a Remington model 12C pump for the first time in about 1952. I currently have a 141 in .35 Rem that was made in 1946 and it has always functioned perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    I believe the 760 does not use the original 14/141 feed system. so its a different critter.

The 141 I had, in 35 rem, was junk. after you worked the action 5 times I had to take the entire gun apart and relube everything. reassemble, work the action 5 times and it would sieze up. each time after it seized all lube would be gone. even grease.

Feed system mashed bullet tips badly.
    EDG