RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: LongHorn Steakhouse receipe

Boolit Buddy

LongHorn Steakhouse receipe

Went to the Texas LongHorn Steakhouse yesterday. Had the best steak I've ever tasted. Anyone know what rub they use on top of the steak? I know there was cracked pepper on it but what else?

Boolit Master
    Most steak houses top off steaks with butter, Monterey steak seasoning and a sprinkle of sugar.
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus

The biggest factor of all in steaks is what particular piece of meat you have, its quality, and how you cook it. A really good piece of meat, with no seasoning or rub at all is GREAT! All else benefits from various seasonings. The absolute best steak I've ever had, and it was amazing, was in Kansas, at a restaurant that specialized in steaks. They were so good, a rich factory owner built a helo pad so he could fly half way across the state to bring important clients there for the amazing steaks. They served only GRAIN FED beef, and it was like a whole 'nother kind of meat! MUCH more flavorful than any corn fed beef could ever be. Not quite as fat, but much more flavorful, and it really didn't need much add-on stuff to be a memorable meal.

However, variety is the spice of life, and who doesn't like a little "extra flavor" now and then? And experimenting and trying different stuff makes it ALL better! Thank goodness we have so many flavors and rubs and other stuff to tickle our fancy when we sit down to a great steak!

Boolit Master

maitre d hotel butter is the ticket to top a good steak

1 stick butter, soft
    add couple tablespoons chopped parsley and a splash of lemon juice and cracked pepper.
    really, you van add what flavors you like, fresh garlic and chives, etc.
    Mix all thoroughly with a mixer and roll up in plastic wrap and let it freeze. When mostly frozen, cut into rounds and store in container. Pull out what you need and top hot steak when you take it up.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Got a Delmonico from them years ago that was so caked with beef bullion granules it was crusty. That's not the only thing on them, but you can add that to the list.

Banned

Longhorn does make a great steak!

I just use salt & pepper, bacon grease and butter.

Another great thing I had at Longhorn was their corn on the cob, forget what they called it. I made it at the house. Fresh STEAMED corn, buttered, dipped or drizzled with creme fresh and dusted with toasted bread crumbs and parmesan.

Western Sizzlin has a good steak seasoning. You can buy it from their website.

Boolit Buddy
    I found a bottle of Longhorn's steak seasoning at a local Meijer grocery store. The best steak I ever ate was from Longhorn, and it was a NY strip.

Moderator Emeritus

My favorite steak seasoning is simple salt and pepper and let that 2 week aged grass fed beef flavor shine!

Boolit Buddy
    Blackwater,
    would that steakhouse have been the Golden Ox?

Boolit Grand Master
    Good steak at a good price at Texas LongHorn Steakhouse. Currently have a special. http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/gift-cards

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned
    I'm surprised anyone was able to get a good steak from one of these places. The wife and I have frequented many different steak houses over the years and could count the good steaks that we've gotten on one hand. Either over cooked or too tuff to enjoy. I'f you ever got to see the talent that was doing the cooking you would never eat there again. Haven given up on getting a decent steak out we usually just purchase good steaks at the grocery store and marinade them over night and cook them medium rare. This way we finally get a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm surprised anyone was able to get a good steak from one of these places. The wife and I have frequented many different steak houses over the years and could count the good steaks that we've gotten on one hand. Either over cooked or too tuff to enjoy. I'f you ever got to see the talent that was doing the cooking you would never eat there again. Haven given up on getting a decent steak out we usually just purchase good steaks at the grocery store and marinade them over night and cook them medium rare. This way we finally get a good steak.
    On the bright side, they are employed. Around here at least, there isn't exactly a ton of people standing in line to work in a restaurant.

I've been to plenty of places that serve steak and do it right. I've also been to plenty of places that serve steak I wouldn't give to my dog. It happens.

Banned
    I guess your correct in that there are people that are employed and that results in less the working have to pay out of pocket for their benefits. They should however make an attempt to clean them up a bit. Most of them haven't shaved in three or four days, showered or had any personal hygiene. Most look like they just finished a line of coke. There shouldn't be any excuse for incompetence when they are getting more than a fair price for a $6.00 piece of meat.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm surprised anyone was able to get a good steak from one of these places.
    So am I. Longhorn is really over priced on top of it. I'm surprised to see their name and "best ever" in the same sentence. Guess they haven't been to Morton's. But that place definitely doesn't fall under affordable. Texas Roadhouse is the most consistent IMO. I'm forced to eat at a lot of these places on the road. I try to avoid them at all costs. But it's not possible in all areas. If there are local places you might as well flip a coin because they can be horrible. W/ the chains you know exactly what to expect.

Perma-Banned
    all any good steak needs is a light rub-down with butter followed by salt & pepper to yer taste.

Bubba nailed it as usual.