Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: #1 Reason I use French Amber Flints

Banned

#1 Reason I use French Amber Flints

This lock/frizzen is the factory lock on my Traditions Mountain Rifle with 1/2x5/8" French Amber Flints.

Close up of another strike to the frizzen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F3.jpg  
    Last edited by FrontierMuzzleloading; 12-02-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have often heard about the quality of these french flints, but pictures like this are worth a thousand words.

Boolit Master
    Sure looks pretty hot to me. I've read that the ultimate test for a flintlock is to try firing it upside down. Has to be fast to light the prime before it falls. Never tried it myself.

That's throwing some good sparks! I like the french amber flints too. I like the Tom fuller Black English flints as well, But I seem to get longer life out of the french.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master
    Care to reveal your favorite vendor(s) for the French amber flints? Could use some extra flints for a 1835 model Springfield musket.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned
    I've always bought the FA flints from trackofthewolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Care to reveal your favorite vendor(s) for the French amber flints? Could use some extra flints for a 1835 model Springfield musket.
    Track of the wolf. I buy both my french flints and Tom fuller English flints there.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

I've used both the French amber and the Tom Fuller English flints for years. I've read, but can't testify, that the French flints are harder, last longer, and wear out the frizzen sooner. It's only a rumor until it's tested, but I buy more English flints as a result.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have tried them, and as was stated, they do wear a frizzen faster. I sure won't say they spark better than Fuller's, I rate them as equal on that basis. I'll use either one, but have hundreds of the English greys, so they find their way into my locks more often. Both flints lasted just as well for me. I'm accustomed to getting around 100+ shots per flint.
    I've also tried the Burlington chert flints that are available. Spark okay, but not as hot a spark, and REALLY eat a frizzen. Those are put away for emergency use only. The Arkansas flints aren't worth wasting money on, don't spark enough to light a fart.

A few years ago, my old friend Jack wanted to try some French ambers, but didn't have enough money on him at rendezous. I made a deal with him to go halves, and I got to use the flint for the first six months. Worked fine for me. He said that it didn't work well for him, when it was his turn!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

The French amber flints are pretty though. I carry one in my medicine bag.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I have tried them, and as was stated, they do wear a frizzen faster. I sure won't say they spark better than Fuller's, I rate them as equal on that basis. I'll use either one, but have hundreds of the English greys, so they find their way into my locks more often. Both flints lasted just as well for me. I'm accustomed to getting around 100+ shots per flint.
    I've also tried the Burlington chert flints that are available. Spark okay, but not as hot a spark, and REALLY eat a frizzen. Those are put away for emergency use only. The Arkansas flints aren't worth wasting money on, don't spark enough to light a fart.

A few years ago, my old friend Jack wanted to try some French ambers, but didn't have enough money on him at rendezous. I made a deal with him to go halves, and I got to use the flint for the first six months. Worked fine for me. He said that it didn't work well for him, when it was his turn!
    have you tried georgetown chert?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post

I usually use black English because a local guy I have known for years keeps them . I agree with Waksupi the Arkansas flints are trash . When flints got hard to find (a while back, lol) I gave em a shot , NO DICE......junk . I have tried most all in 40 something years of BP shooting , the English and amber are good (not discriminating which wears the frizzen faster) throwing sparks .
    For fun I have Knapped local quartz and many local flints ..... English is still my go to . Probably for no more reason than they are consistent in performance and habit .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Banned
    I don't think the french ambers are hard as they say. Im using them on both cva and traditions frizzens and im not getting any damage. One rifle i've had since 2006.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    have you tried georgetown chert?
    Not to my memory.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

H
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    I don't think the french ambers are hard as they say. Im using them on both cva and traditions frizzens and im not getting any damage. One rifle i've had since 2006.
    How much do you shoot them?

Banned
    I've got about 1800 through the kentucky and 400ish on the hawken woodsman. The point being, since they are spanish guns and the frizzens are supposedly soft, I'd see something as far as damage goes if the flints were that hard.

Boolit Master
    I have recently faced my C V A,Flintlock Frizzen with Springsteel and Hardened it glass hard.It now makes a shower of sparks.I was having poor performance with case hardening the Original face.I use Will Lord Black Flints plus a few I napp myself.As a side subject The Movie " The Revenant" I noticed that their Flintlock Rifles and Muskets never misfired despite the wet conditions.Although only a movie and enjoyable I wonder if in the day they had methods to keep their weapons ready to fire.

Try making a cows knee for your rifle. Here's an ad for one, so you can see what it looks like. It's basically a raincoat for your lock.

http://leatherfromthepast.blogspot.c...cows-knee.html

Also, use grease to make a gasket around the pan before you close the frizzen. It takes a little practice to get it right, but it's easy to do.

Take care, Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cows knee.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	181902

Another photo (not mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    The Movie " The Revenant" I noticed that their Flintlock Rifles and Muskets never misfired despite the wet conditions.Although only a movie and enjoyable I wonder if in the day they had methods to keep their weapons ready to fire.

...In that same movie, DiCaprio fired a flintlock pistol twice without reloading. Movie magic, to be sure.

Seriously, I have read of sealing the pan with wax, and of using a "cow's knee" cover over the lock area.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...